Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 07:37PM

I haven't been in a Mormon church more than a half dozen times in 40 years so I have no idea how the no janitor program is working. For those of you who still attend, how clean is your church? Has it gotten signifacatly worse since the janitors were fired?Do people actually show up and clean or do one or two familieds get stuck with it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 07:40PM

Don't know that answer but, I can't understand how a church in good standings, i.e. financially, etc. can't still have people cleaning(cleaning crews) b/c for one thing you can claim it @ the end of yr. oh, well.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 07:42PM

There is a thread on another board about how dirty some of the churches are. Just wondering if that is the experience of posters here who still attend. I think I have been to maybe two funerals since the policy was changed and didn't see any real difference, but I wasn't really looking either.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 07:43PM

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 08:27PM

Our church building still seemed clean to me.

In one ward I was in, a few families were assigned a certain Saturday to go clean. In that scenario, the one that got there first would start vacuuming and other easier stuff, and the one that got there after would be told, "We're doing..... But you could start cleaning the bathrooms."

In my last ward, a sign up sheet would go around EQ class when it was our wards turn to clean. If you were sitting on the wrong side of the room, then by the time it got to you, only the bathrooms were left unsigned for.

I suppose that some people might have done a better job than others. I was pretty detail conscious, so I cleaned the bathrooms well. My bladder lasts three hours no problem, so I never really saw how clean they were when other people cleaned them.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 11:14PM

Pleeeeeeease let me clean the bathrooms.

There is 15 year old carpet in our ward and one shaky vacuum. I can clean all bathrooms before they can finish vacuuming the chapel.

Honestly though, with no paid clergy, they could afford someone to do carpets one in a while. Here in South Houston, mold grows fast, some of our sidewalks are black with it. I wish they would get that cleaned, slick as heck when it rains.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 10:25AM

The wards I was in had those monster vacuums that were like 3-4 feet wide. Vacuuming was a breeze. In SLC, you get the good stuff.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 07:17PM

I'm out in the mission field and we have good vacuums in my ward building.

Posted by: Eldermalin ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 09:11PM

They are decently clean from what I can see as many members feel pride in doing the Lord's work. Like most things in the church it's usually the same families doing all the work and picking up the slack.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 09:48AM

Eldermalin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are decently clean from what I can see as
> many members feel pride in doing the Lord's work.
===========================================

Oh very good, spoken like a true Morgie.

When did cleaning toilets become the Lord's work???

Does that mean it's also the Lord's work to deprive
the former building custodians of gainful employment?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 06:34PM

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 09:18PM

... that every mormon chapel has been sanitized and cleaned!

Look it up.

Timothy

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 10:19PM

Total Bullshit is what that is. My name would never be on the list if I was still a member - never ever. I'd tell them to use my 10% to hire a f-n cleaning service and then resign in the middle of the month.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 09:45AM

I've never understood why this continues to be discussed. Haveing been a member for over 22 years, I remember folks bitching about how dirty is was even WHEN they had hired janitors. WTF, who gives a rat's ass?

I've seen cheerio infestations in the chaple, cutural halls with floors so dirty you couldn't even play basketball in them, and you don't even WANT to know what kinds of trash and wooly boogers there are on the stage and in between the curtains. Ever looked inside the area where the Priests prepare the sacrament? Holy petrie dish, Batman! Moldy bread, mildew in the water trays.... I shit you not.

People continue to insinuate that since hired help was "released" that the place is going to become a pigsty. In my experience, they bordered upon that in any event.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 10:57AM

When I came in the first time to clean about 3 years ago, I got the area where sacrament was prepared. Pretty much had to set it on fire and rebuild it. We still had janitors then.

3 months later, ( 3 ward roataion ) it's like I never was there.

I then had a revelation, don't eat the bread or drink the water.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 06:07PM

It was my dad's "calling" for some time. And it was basically to repay them for using the bishop storehouse. The more I think about it, the more it bugs me. :/

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 11:59PM

Why would a tithe payer need to repay anything?

He already paid up front.

Stupid cult.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 12:03AM

Posted by: AnonJewWannabe ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 12:29AM

The Talmud is the Torah (the first five books of the bible) with a commentary written around it -in circles and circles. From when I studied a bit, I was struck by the arguments about how to purify a goblet. Does one wipe the rim of the goblet? The inside? The outside only? This one argument went on for centuries (and is probably still being argued).

Cleanliness and purification were spiritual matters, but historically it was extremely important to survival. Before germ theory, ancient and far before the time of Christ, it was about survival. Pork- source of deadly trichinosis. Shellfish and fish who feed on the sea floor- source of parasites and deadly algae. I think behind these rigorous dietary laws were an understanding of human survival in a microbe-filled world before anyone knew of microbes.

Would you want to live in a moldy house? If the home-canned jam jar is a bit iffy...the lid doesn't pop when opened. Well, botulism is deadly. So are parasites and some algae. Our ancestors had to figure these things out. To this day, oysters are not harvested during certain months. They avoided them altogether or understood when to harvest and really, really understood about cooking things correctly. I digress.
I figure Joe Smith didn't really understand his Hebrew tutor's adherance with dietary restrictions. He just liked the concept of dietary restriction. He was an ignorant, backwoods con artist with minimal education. He made up his own restrictions.

Would I eat Wonderbread from a hastily-cleaned church? Hell no. I'd rather eat an egg-salad sandwich that sat on a picnic table for 5 hours in an Arizona July. And the twelve-year-old "priests" always wash their hands before sacrament..right?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.