Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xtbm ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 10:21AM

The investigaion focused on the Independent Fundamental Baptist Church's practices and teachings. A girl, Tina Anderson, was raped (more than once) at the age of 15 by an adult member of the church, got pregnant as a result, and then forced to admit her "wrongdoing" in front of the whole congregation.

But the part that struck home for me was the following exchange:

Interviewer: "Why do you think you didn't leave the Church then? Why did you stay?"

Her response: "Because I was always taught that no other church was right - that this was the only church that you could go to if you were going to be right with God."

Wow! If that's not a Mormon thing to say then I don't know what is! And it certainly drives home the power that a religious indoctrination can have over someone.

It's on their website for anyone who wants to watch it...
http://abcnews.go.com/2020

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 11:16AM

I watched that show. A lot of the teachings and control reminded me of the mormons.
The control,,guilt,,shame.,,spankings,, blame the victim. I am sure that this happens in other religious groups,,but not as powerful as this group. It was not pretty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.