Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: battlebruise ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 11:35AM

I have not been active in the church since 1982. I have not had anyone come by the house (HT) in almost 15 years...until yesterday. A nicely dressed man about 40 yrs old in a shirt and tie knocked on my door and politely asked my name and informed me that he was assisting the deacons in collecting fast offerings today. I told him I had not been active in about 30 years. He started to get nervous. I told him that I had not seen anyone from the church in 15 years until now and you are asking me for money! He started to sweat and stopped making eye contact. He said "You know you are always welcome to come back to church ya know." My reply was I can't afford it." and shut the door. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 11:59AM

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 12:02PM

I've been on the other end, as a deacon and then as a father of a deacon doing FO collection. It sucked. I hated approaching homes of inactives to wiggle the plate.

You do it because you know you're supposed to. But you feel ashamed doing it. Yeah, that's the spirit!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 12:17PM

Living way out of state and had not set foot in a mormon building for many years, we got a letter in the mail from the local ward. It stated that as mewmbers of the church it was our responsibility to help with the finances, that the church can't pay its light bills or other bills without the money from its members.

I couldn't believe it! We'd never even met these people.

We were flat broke at the time, barely able to pay our bills, and here was the church sending out a letter claiming we owed them money.

A few years later when I got reactivated I mentioned this, but nobody claimed to believe me. I sure wished I had saved that letter.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 12:22PM

BB, that man showing up at your door could have been a con artist.
I remember shortly after I left my mission, I got a utility bill from the mission office. Can't remember what I did with it.

Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 12:56PM

battlebruise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Anyone else have a similar experience?

My daughter who had been a member of another church for several years and hadn't set foot in a mormon church since her childhood received a phone call telling her to set an appointment for tithing settlement!

She ended up resigning formally, as they refused to take her name off the books otherwise.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.