Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 05:21PM

1) Any recommendations on stuff to do/see that most tourists miss? Keep in mind Mrs. Hela and I are very respectful of privacy and property and keep things very low-key.

2) We're staying in Kapalua at a timeshare, so we have a kitchen and will be preparing some of our own meals. Anyplace nearby (and by that, I mean, we don't necessarily want to drive into Wailuku or Kahului to shop) where we can get groceries that won't break the bank?

3) I'm a craft beer geek. Besides Maui Brewing, any other place to get good beer on the island? if not, any stores where craft beer from other Hawaiian islands is available on Maui?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Washed and Disappointed ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 05:39PM

There is a Costco near the airport where you can stock up on all the necessities. They actually have a very good wine and beer selection there. I know they carried Pipeline Porter from Kona Brewing Company when I was there, but I did not notice which other local craft beers were on the shelf.

Aloha!

Posted by: Washed and Disappointed ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 05:46PM

People will tell you to drive the road to Hana. We tried, but turned around at mid-day. You may want to drive the Kahekili Highway between Kahului and Kapalua instead. We watched the sunrise from that road once and it was breathtaking. It is quite rural, so pack breakfast. We stumbled across a row of fresh avocados on a fence with a coffee can and a $1 sign. We each had an avocado for Breakfast....delicious!

I can't really speak about the East side of the island. I hear it is beautiful, but if you are in Kapalua, it will be hard to make it out that way.

Lahaina is a fun little tourist town that is worth checking out for dinner.

Date: April 19, 2011 05:52PM

Not sure I want to do that. I'm going to be on vacation, after all, which means NO ALARM CLOCK!

Posted by: rogue ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 05:57PM

If its still there, there is a magic show in Kapalua (I think) which you shouldn't miss. The guy is incredibly funny and does some magic tricks that will blow your mind. We drove the road to Hana and enjoyed it very much. I think if you ask around you can find out the name of the magic show. It was rated the best show in all of Hawaii in the Hawaian magazine a few years ago.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 05:59PM

Last trip was on the East side of Maui--been to both (we stayed at the Rtiz Carlton in Kapalua and condo in Kannapali) and much prefer the beaches on the East side, worth the drive if you have a car--we think snorkeling is better too if you're into that--try the South end of Wahlia beach just down from the Four Season's resort out at the point. Other great beaches: Polo beach and Big Beach, just South of there...great waves and sand. All are public.

"Cheesburgers in Paradise" is a very popular outdoor restaurant in Lahaina (read greasy spoon)--worth at least one trip. There's a little shopping mall just North of LaHaina that provides closer shopping than Kahului that isn't bad, on your right as you near town. Also one in Kannapali on Ocean side of the road.

Do the road to Hana if you want some mobile torture--the volcano at dawn is a treat...but a long drive.

Again on the East side, our favorite restaurant is Tommy Bahamas'--casual but excellent food (try the coconut shrimp)

If you golf, Kapalua is public and a treat.

Have fun,

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 06:03PM

... its better than reported!

Just sayin'

Timothy

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 06:46PM

I grew up there, and on Oahu. +1 on the road to Hana.
Two things near the Kapalua area that alot of people miss: There is a blowhole just off the highway north of Kapalua. Ask and you shall find.
Also near that area is a large tidepool, as big as a hotel swimming pool, that is fun to swim in. Its been too long for me to remember the exact milemarker numbers, but both of these features are a few miles north of Honolua Bay. The snorkeling is excellent at Honolua in May( due to lack of winter swells), then again, also right at Kapalua.
The blowhole and tidepools are both short hikes, 1/4 mile or less, off the main highway. You just pull off the highway, park your car and walk. The drive around the West side is pretty, although it can be nail-biting in a few places, but not near as lush and as varied as the east side drive to Hana. A marble sculptor has a studio in his home off the west side highway that is quite interesting.
Grab a plate lunch from a local outlet while you are in Hawaii.
AND DON'T LEAVE VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR!

Date: April 19, 2011 07:06PM

It was basically operated out of this guy's converted garage on the road to Hilo, and we got WHOLE FRIGGIN' HULI CHICKENS for cheap. Good stuff.

And thanks for the other suggestions.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 08:13PM

The only thing I remember about where the tidepool is, there is a very large boulder, about the size of a volkswagen bug, or maybe bigger, that sits by itself, right next to the highway, right where the place is to pull off and park. I know there are alot of rocks in the area along the side of the road and it doesn't make any sense to read it like this, and you'll be swearing at me while you're driving, thinking, "this idiot, there's rocks all over the place here." But when you see it, you'll know what I mean.
And if you pass a lighthouse going north,(not a house, but a small automated navigation light), you also just passed the trail for the blowhole. A good Maui guidebook might give you mile-markers.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 06:50PM

Have a great time. Maui was the best vacation I ever had.

Posted by: buckhntr ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 08:47PM

I went ther with my girlfriend and her daughter a little over a year ago. It was the best vacation I ever had. The blowhole is located on the NW side of the island in an area your rental car agency will likely tell you not to go, go anyway. The road is narrow and 2 way traffic on a barely one way road for awhile, there are turnouts but take the corners slow and keep looking for oncoming traffic. The scenery is great. Walk down to remote beaches, stack rocks for no apparent reason, stop and take pics everywhere. Stop for the worlds greatest bannana bread along the way. Write your name in a volcanic ash wall the road cuts through. It is a nice afternoon drive. If your into visiting a clothing optional beach it is called Little Beach and is about an hour drive from Kapalua on the SE corner of Maui in the state park. The beach is family friendly, 500 yds south on Big Beach and a climb over a lava flow and your there. Zip lineing is at Kanapali, Horseback riding, parasailing, marlin fishing are all close by, there is so much to do you won't forget this trip. There are a few major supermarkets near your hotel so don't worry about where to shop.
Clyde

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.