Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: coppertop ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 11:32AM

I came into NYC to see the Book of Mormon on Broadway and saw it last night. 8 of us in our party, 4 exmos, 3 of us are RM's. 4 of the group are diehard theater goers that are very critical of broadway and they LOVED it and are planning their next time.

This show is the hottest ticket on Broadway and I was told this is sold out for several months at this point.

IT IS A MUST SEE!!!!!!

It certainly poked fun at mormonism and it's mythology including it's history and culture. It essentially followed 2 newby missionaries dropped in Uganda not really equipped to deal with the natives "real" problems. One of them was a typical clean cut pollyanna go getter (Elder Price) and his companion, a naive, overweight follower prone to lying to encourage people to like him (Elder Cunningham)

There were 2 scenes (musical numbers) that were especially good for me. One of them featured a song called "I believe" which Elder Price was telling about all the crazy stuff he believed.... he will become a god, own his own planet, garden of eden in missouri, current revelation (1978 reference)..

The other scene was the VERY best... a Mormon Hell Dream... This was a "SouthPark" creation at it's best. All the things that mormons have nightmares about because they are not good enough, including dancing starbucks coffee cups... It was hilarious!!! (in fact, i'm laughing now as i remember it)

BUT there really was a very good message in the end.. That just as current day mormons have a contentment and good lives based on the shananigans of joseph smith, this small group of native Africans can have good lives and contentment based on the lies of Elder Cunningham.. (he tells the story of mormonism intertwining pieces of star wars, the triology, etc, creating a crazy mythology that is really not that much different from what mormons believe.

I did see a 30 something couple get up and leave at the point where Elder Price was having a book of mormon removed from his..... let's just say places unmentionable....

It is worth a trip to NYC!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 03:55PM

I'm glad you had a great trip! If it has a good run it will eventually get to So. Cal..or Vegas..I hope.

Did the couple walk out after the "Hakuna Matata (Explicit type)" song? They waited until the BOM bit? Funny. Exclamations against God..ok but desecrate the BOM, that's just going to far?

Haven't seen the musical yet, but it sounds like genius.
Giant Starbucks coffee during a nightmare....hahahah

Date: April 04, 2011 05:20PM

Yes... the song "Hasa Diga Eebowai" is the one you are referring to.. which as Elder Price tells naive Elder Cunningham translates to... "F you, heavenly father" hahahaha

they actually left about 1/3 into the second act.... just as Elder Price had an xray of his body shown with a book of mormon in a "cavity"..... it was put there as Elder Price tried to convert the War Lords, who were multilating and killing the people.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 03:59PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 04:18PM

Much as I'd rather have seen something harder edged, what they have will run for years and then hit the local stages. The impact will be beyond belief.

When I need a happy thought, I come back to this!

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 07:52PM

When you say the impact it will have will be beyond belief, exactly what do you mean? Do you think it will help people see the truth behind all of the lies of the church and cause more apostacy or just affect convert baptism's? I would guess mostly just the latter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2011 08:00PM by think4u.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 08:02PM

I have to think that maybe those opposing Mitt Romney politically planned to have this put out at just exactly this time. It certainly can not help him in any way.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 04:58PM

I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE that it's still running cuz I SOOOOOO want to see it!!!! I checked for tickets and they're selling them through January.

Thanks for the Return and Report!

TG

Date: April 04, 2011 05:28PM

word is this will have a very long run so i'm sure will still be there in 2012. I'm sure there will be several Tony's out of this from both acting and music...

Posted by: givemethismoment ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 05:52PM

Oh, it will still be running. I really feel that this is the new 'Wicked'as far as ticket sales go. It should run for a decade, if not longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2011 05:52PM by givemethismoment.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 05:23PM

So far I've heard only good things. The reviews are great. Hope I get to see it someday.

Posted by: Offended :) ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 09:59AM

Wow, 30 something couple who are offended :)
"I did see a 30 something couple get up and leave.."

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 08:11PM

I hope the musical comes to South Florida.

Posted by: coventryrm ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 04:57PM

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 05:01PM

Posted by: givemethismoment ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 05:53PM

YESSS!! I'm moving to Chicago from NJ for school (this fall). I'm SO.CROSSING.MY.FINGERS. that the Chicago theatre district picks it up for next season.

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 05:55PM

Posted by: Veritas ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 10:15PM

Hate plagiarizing titles but I think this production should recycle the film name "The Gods Must be Crazy."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.