Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 08:39AM

Current 'Membership'186,814
Number of congregations 333

Average congregation size 561
(numbers from lds.org)

Hmmm...

Anyone out there in the UK have a congregation size of 561?

My ward gets less than 100 people out on a Sunday, which against the average is less than 18% activity...
This would be very similar across all the wards in my stake (some higher some lower).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2011 08:40AM by Stumbling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fishsticklama ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 09:02AM

Sounds about right. The congregational size of 561 or more does not equate to attendance. The number is a reflection of those on the ward roster. In almost all cases the ward records will have a small portion of actual members regularly attending. I dealt with a ward on my mission with over 650 persons on the Bishop's records. After going through the entire roster I found the following.

1/3 of the people were not even living in those addresses and were unavailable to contact.

1/3 were not active, at all. Probably 10-20 percent of these were DO NOT CONTACTS * or warnings Not to contact because they were dangerous with various details.

the last 1/3 were in the boundaries, actually lived there and existed, potentially willing to go, but many of those did not attend regularly or even monthly. 650+ on the records and 60-110 attended church regularly. *numbers fluctuated in that range.

Working with many other ward lists, this seemed to be the norm. HUGE list, few numbers. This is likely the Non-Utah norm. In cali I have seen many lists where its around half/half and in rare cases 3/4 in pretty highly mormon populated areas.

Posted by: Toy Soldier ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 09:21AM

Hi,
Those figures seem about right.

I'm currently attending (in body if not spirit) a large ward (c. 125 attending each week) on the English south coast.

I think there are probably around 500 on the rolls, and this is after countless attempts over the years to prune back the list.

It doesn't help that every year we have anything up to 10 convert baptisms, which normally become 1 semi-active, and 9 more less actives...

Date: April 21, 2011 10:41AM

'in body but not in spirit' is a good way of putting it

I'm in a similar boat. I'm hoping to gradually expose my disbelief and why slowly and in small bite size chunks to my wife. She is TBM so it will be a very very slow process.

Posted by: Toy Soldier ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:48AM

Stumbling,
I'm still in for that same reason- good luck with it! Just take it very very slow...

Have you seen the New Order Mormon website and forum? (Admin, I think I can point to NoM here- if not, apologies!) Most of them still attend, but a large majority still do only because of their spouses and family.

Date: April 21, 2011 10:52AM

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 09:44AM

I'm here back across the pond but that's the way my own ward is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.