Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 06:35PM

While investigating, I'd ask a question b/c it did confuse me, somewhat. Mainstream christianity i.e. Baptist, presby., Methodists, Catholic, etc. would have believed celebrated in one way and LDS faith would be completely different. There was "ALWAYS" an answer for what was "supposedly correct" If you counciled someone and/or were trying to convert, how could you know the answer to "EVERYTHING" There was always that quick response on "the truthfulness of that" Remembering another inv. asking about why women aren't in priesthood and there were three men automatically answered her question. Is/has there ever been anything that was questioned or stated that was/is different than LDS beliefs that someone may be baffled on being able to answer. It has to my acknowledgement been to where there was always a quick response.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sukiyhtaky ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 07:21PM

Talk to any ecclesiastical leader of any faith and they will have an answer for you to any question. Priests, rebbis, pastors, imams, monks etc. Mormons are no different.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 07:22PM

The answer to most tough questions if you ask the church is either that you need to pray on it or that it's not for us to know. I consider that cheating.

Posted by: sukiyhtaky ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 08:05PM

Well obviously it has not been debs experience that they don't answer or she has to pray as she says they alway shave an answer. Personally, I have always enjoyed a back and forth banter with those I have chosen to talk to about teh church. The local bishop has no problem going back and forth with me and we can do it and still remain friendly. I was once told by a missionary who obviously didn't know the answer to my question that it was something we needed to pray about. I told him well you pray and when you have an answer will you please let me know because I'm really curious about it. I was nice and smiled and I never saw him again. I did get a call from the bishop who was laughing telling me not to pick on his missionaries anymore. :)

Date: April 21, 2011 09:23PM

when it was asked and one of the 2 times I'd "commited" to baptism, it was asked if i believed in bom and it's words and if i beleived that js was the prophet who discovered or whatever he did. I answered in all honesty and it was stated to pray and ask if these things were true. Whenever asked again, I stated I hadn't received an answer as of yet, but, I will in due time. I was told "keep asking" I think for some reason or another Ijust could not become interested in the js theory.

Date: April 21, 2011 07:51PM

I agree w/you b/c if it's s'thing someone who @ the time is considering conversion, it's not a bad idea to state, "I'll try to have that answer for you next time we're in area"(which samll town, someone's always in area)

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 09:55PM

My TBM family always ask me about my beliefs and want to know what I think are the "right" answers. Trying to find fault in what I believe. They just can't except that 'I don't know and I'm okay with that'!

Mormons HAVE to find answers, they can't just be settled with the idea that there are things that we cannot know!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:02PM

freeasabird Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Mormons HAVE to find answers, they can't just be
> settled with the idea that there are things that
> we cannot know!

That's so true. One thing I used to love about Mormonism was exactly that we had an answer for everything. I always felt that there was nothing I didn't have an answer for.

When I left Mormonism, I freaked out when I realized that I actually knew nothing.

I'm much more okay with just embracing the mystery now, but it took some time to get to that point.

I was just used to thinking that I knew everything. LOL

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:04PM

Oh the mystery bothered me too! I was totally freaked when I didn't have the answers.

It's so nice that time has given us more comfort :)

Date: April 21, 2011 10:08PM

I guess that's one of the big appeals of Mormonism. If you're always searching for an answer, they've got one for you.

So when you discover that it's all a fraud, you're really spun around and thrown on your head. It takes a while to right yourself again.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:36PM

But it didn't seem like it was hard to do. I asked one of the online missionaries how Christ came to be a god before he got his mortal body. The poor guy said he didn't know, and that ended our conversation.

I was disappointed. I'm still curious about how TBMs answer this question.

Date: April 21, 2011 10:38PM

It's more like he was 99.9% god and it just required his getting a body to complete his deity status. That's how I used to think of it anyway.

Date: April 21, 2011 10:48PM

still being a tad baffled about the bom and the trinity, i guess Js discovered the trinity wasn't accurate afterwards. i still believe bom states the trinity.

Date: April 21, 2011 10:50PM

It does. Mormonism contradicts itself on quite a few issues.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.