Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 11:42AM

Sometime way back when I was a kid, I was excited about the arrival of spring and a long Easter weekend. But it was stormy on Good Friday, just when I wanted to play outside. I complained to my mother and she said the rain was the heavens weeping for Jesus.

That idea got lodged in my head and, sure enough, it seemed like it rained every Good Friday.

Of course, it didn't rain EVERY Good Friday. I just remembered the times it did. "See, it rains on Good Friday." It's classic confirmation bias. I see what fits the pattern and ignore the rest.

I'm thinking of this because it's raining today, Good Friday. (Shaking head, rolling eyes.) It was supposed to rain the past two days, but didn't. Yet Good Friday rolls around and...

I was also told the tale of how dogwood trees always bloom at Easter, and that the four petals of the blossom represent the cross, with the tiny reddish spots at the tips of the petals representing the blood of Jesus. "Isn't it amazing? Easter moves around on the calendar but the dogwoods are ALWAYS blooming at Easter!"

Well, they don't. They bloom when the weather is right, and sometimes that coincides with Easter. I didn't buy into that tale because it was wrong too often. This year, for example, with Easter being late, the blossoms are long gone from the dogwoods. Poor Jesus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 11:54AM

I heard the same thing and out sure is raining today but outnot last year. Dogwoods, never heard that one.

stormy

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.