Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fmrly ExmoinCO ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 12:57AM

I live in Brigham City, close enough to the new temple being built to pass by it every day. I've witnessed its evolution from an barren field to the multi-level framework it is today. I really can't stand it. I despise the fact this monument to cultism, superstition & gullibility is being constructed in my neighborhood.

It's such a useless building. An incredible waste of manpower and materials. Does God really give a shit where you get married?... where you do the endowment hokey pokey?... or where you take a dip for dead people? At least other churches can be used as community meeting space and emergency shelters. This structure does nothing to enhance the human condition.

My TBM sister lives in AL and made the trip to see the new Atlanta temple. All the gushing from TBM relatives and friends on FB was nauseating to say the least. I am not looking forward to the same pomp & circumstance being repeated here in B.C.

Hopefully I'll be able to get back to CO in 2012 where TSCC is (mostly) out of sight and out of mind. Peace!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 01:12AM

The last few times I was out in Utah, I was in the neighborhood of the Jordan River temple. I wondered what it would be like to have a temple in close proximity to one's residence. I like the fact that the closest temple to where I live is far out of my normal orbit.

The ubiquity of the ward houses in the greater Salt Lake area always gives me the heebie-jeebies. You can't turn a corner without seeing one.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 01:17AM

Either that or carbon monoxide.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 01:35AM

No temples here in MS(as of yet) I think LA. and AL. have them, though.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 01:44AM

deb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No temples here in MS(as of yet) I think LA. and
> AL. have them, though.

Where in MS? We used to live in Jackson. I loved it.

Posted by: flyfisher ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 02:22AM

I was thinking (scary thought) the other day. Temples are huge money makers for TSCC. Think about it the cost to get inside (10%).

I also hate watching this Brigham City temple being built! Everytime I drive past it I give it the bird! I can't stand that the fact that its progress is front page news in our little paper! Guess there is not much news in little ol Brigham City!

Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 06:01AM

>>Hopefully I'll be able to get back to CO in 2012 where TSCC is (mostly) out of sight and out of mind.<<

I hope you're not going to Fort Collins. :P

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/fortcollins/

Posted by: roxydog1312 ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 05:49PM

OK now I want to temple rant!!!!

I lived in Fort Collins for while, and moved away because of the stupid traffic and the fact that there aren't any jobs any more for people who do what I do.

Anyway, that pretty much seals the deal for me on Fort Collins. Why in heck do they need a temple? OMG my mom must be going APE ****.

(mini freak out session)

Ok I'm over it. Guess I'll hang out in Laramie.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 09:36AM

I was trying to think if I've ever seen a picture of a church or cathedral in a non-Mormon home. Aside from a wedding picture, I don't think so. There just isn't the same sense of "building worship."

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 05:40PM

I must be the exception here, but my cathedral picture is one that I took when I was on vacation in the UK and it's gorgeous. No cathedral worship, just a memory from a great vacation. :)

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 09:18AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 10:31AM

Didn't move far from it--Hyrum. Moving to Colorado in May . . .

I was in SLC visiting friends for a few days. One of them lives in some Zion apartments behind the conference center. He can see angel Moroni from his bed. Even as a TBM, I could NOT have handled staring out my windows at all the church shrines.

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 12:36PM

Can you even imagine? Bad enough having a view outside one's window..can you imagine having that staring at you (and you at it) even while at rest?

out

Posted by: Seneca ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 10:53AM

In addition to bringing little functional value to the community the buildings from the outside are not very beautiful. I drive past the Oquirrh Mountain Temple every day and am shocked at how bland the building is. It looks like a building made out of off-white Legos...no creativity, no beauty, just a generic rectangular building.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 11:54AM

The temple is the church's main control tool. It defines Mormonism more than any other feature.
They're exlusively for control. Nothing you do there is off the control grid. 12 year olds are supposed to be free of masturbation to do proxy baptisms. Adults have to be all-in to go. They have to tell a bishopric and stake presidency member that they believe in divinity of the church and are free of word of wisdom, chastity, and other problems. And of course, you have to pay tithing.
In the temple you recieve the tentative promise of exhaltation if you're faithful.
But the extortion of it is in temple marriage. Here you are instilled with a fear that your marriage depends on your good standing in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. What a damn boon to Corporation of the President. A single taker pays, over many years, tens of thousands of dollars in ransom for his/her marriage and family. And the church largely reinvests the money into more indocrination programs, CES, temples, missions, and meetinghouses (nevermind the small overhead of, yes, a paid professional upper clergy in the persons of GAs).
We exmos think the church is bothered by it's low retention rate, but that's looking at it from a bring-souls-to-christ perspective. From a business perspective it's allot more like new car sales. They only need to sell a few per month to make money. And once the customer drives it off the lot, they can't just bring it back for a refund. The dealership already got it's money and the buyer is stuck with selling it as a used car at a loss.
The temple is a lure. It's shiny, bright, and pretty. It makes you feel important. Then it takes your money.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: April 22, 2011 12:23PM

This was an excellent description of the cult! Made me want to print up flyers and paper the parking lot during SM at my local ward or the temple parking lot, but I don't want to get that close to creepy Morgdom. LOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.