Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 11:54AM

I keep thinking back on my experience I had for app. 4 mos. I'd committed to baptism 2 times. I had been baptised over 40 yrs. ago in a mainstream christian church. The missionaries informed me I'd have to be baptized in the LDS church in order to be pure once more. I always believed/thought you weren't never pure against once your purity was gone. Of course you are still considered "saved" b/c you were baptized through your church and pastor. When I was beginning to question LDS faith I did ask my bff(southern baptist) about being baptized again in your life and she stated you do not have to get baptized again. That you should be able to attend, even b/c a member of another church/denomination but not required to be baptized again. It makes sense what my bff stated but @ the time when investigating their claim made sense. Why would the LDS church require and/or having you think that getting baptized once more is of necessity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 11:58AM

According to Mormons their church is the only true church and only their priesthood has authority to perform a valid baptism. So to them your first baptism was not valid.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 11:59AM

It's more symbolic than anything. I was taught that it's a symbol that you're being born again, but it isn't required that you're baptized.

As an infant, I was dedicated in a evangelical Lutheran church. Again, it was just a ceremony to indicate that my parents would raise me Lutheran (they didn't), and a way to give me God parents I've seen a handful of times and to make my grandmother happy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 02:38PM by Beth.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 12:20PM

ipseego is right. Mormons believe that they have the only authority from God to baptize. Everyone else is just sprinkling water on you, but they have no authority to do so.

They believe they're the only ones on earth who possess the Priesthood authority to act on God's behalf.

And they do believe that once you've been baptized, you're pretty much as pure as the driven snow, until of course you sin again, and have to repent.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 12:23PM

Everyone else has been incorrectly baptised and will burn in hell. I wish I could see a discussion between some of them and some Mormons -- it would probably be epic.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 12:41PM

Yep ipseego is correct. It's all about the "proper authority" handed down through the restoration of the one and only true gospel and yada, yada, Joseph Smith our beloved profit, err prophet, yada, yada, yada,

Date: April 23, 2011 12:43PM

WHile investigating, they never once bellittled or questioned my religion(not to my face, anyways) they even stated i was a member of the church but still believed/knew I would do the "right" thing by becoming a mormon.

Date: April 23, 2011 12:41PM

Probably the scene(s) itself would be a blockbuster. Make an awesome movie. Who wouold play the part(s)

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 01:01PM

It's the Christian v. nonChristian thing for other churches, and for Mormons, they feel they are the only ones that carry "the keys" or "the priesthood powers" to make such baptism valid. Basically, to Mormons, you were baptised, but not for real. It wasn't a valid baptism because Mormons are the only ones who have the authority to make such baptisms valid. Make sense?

For the Christian churches, not accepting a Mormon baptism as valid is a relatively recent turn of events, like even within the past 10-15 years even (not sure). They determined that Mormon theology is so different from Christian theology that the Mormon baptism is not valid. Basically when Mormons use the words "Father, Son, and Holy Ghost," they're interpretation and belief is way off the grid compared to mainstream Christianity (Trinity) - Mormons believe in a different Jesus; therefore, their baptism is not a Christian baptism...they have to have another.

A Catholic could easily become a Lutheran and not have to be re-baptised. That never goes away. The Catholics and Lutherans subscribe to the same beliefs as far as God, so basically the baptism carries over. Other rituals to become full with the new church may be required, such as confirmation for Catholics, but the baptism is still there, no re-do's required.

Notice how when a Mormon leaves LDS all their blessings disappear...except sealing; it seems that one sticks no matter what, but the baptism is gone, various other ordinances gone. If they want to return to LDS, they have to start over and be re-baptised and whatever else they need to do. I also think it's odd that baptisms and confirmations disappear within the ranks of LDS if someone "strays." I'm not well-versed in religious things, but always understood that once baptised, always baptised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 01:04PM by omreven.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 01:25PM

I was baptized a Catholic as an infant, so I'm still covered. LOL

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 01:28PM

Greyfort Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was baptized a Catholic as an infant, so I'm
> still covered. LOL

I was baptised Episcopalian, so I'm covered too. :)

Date: April 23, 2011 01:45PM

Presbyterian, @ 1 or 12. Guess I'm covered. (lol)

Date: April 23, 2011 01:45PM

11 or 12!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 03:56PM

The real question isn't whether one baptism is valid over another.

The real question is why you've allowed western culture to convince you that you're not "pure" and that you need to wash yourself off, either physically or symbolically.

Guilt is a mind-control technique that all religions share, not just mormonism or mainstream christianity. It's a good thing there's no evidence that any god exists, because they would have some serious explaining to do...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.