Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 05:00PM

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110421082641.htm
"the raw data showed that Utah is ranked first in life-satisfaction, but has the 9th highest suicide rate."

I couldn't be that the culture in Utah forces them to think they must be happy? After all they live in the happiest place on Earth. They have the GOSPEL! If you are unhappy it is because you are not living the gospel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 06:30PM

Yeah, I was so "happy" that I was on anti-depressants for several years, along with 1/3 of the other women in the Las Vegas ward I was in at the time. My Mormon OBGYN actually TOLD me that 1/3 statistic.......so many, MANY red flags, and I ignored them for years. REAL happiness is leaving it all behind!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 06:35PM

May I ask how many yrs. ago that was? If is was the last ten yrs. then it is a big worry for sure.

Date: April 23, 2011 07:41PM

@Honestone, if you're asking about the statistic I got, that would have been just over 10 years ago. I was put on Prozac because I had a surprise pregnancy that I wasn't expecting, my marriage was falling apart, and with two other kids who needed to be taken care of, I fell apart myself during that time. As imalive mentioned, you're not supposed to have mental health problems when you're Mormon. It's "embarassing", it means that somehow, something isn't "perfect", and whatever is flawed needs to be covered up as quickly as possible so that the illusion of all being well in Zion is maintained. At least that was the story 10+ years ago. The 1/3 statistic my doctor quoted to me probably included women that were stressed already about being "perfect" for various reasons, but it seemed like the majority of women were turning to drugs for pregnancy/post-partum depression, which can be especially debilitating. With families that need a perfect mother and callings that need a perfect sister, anything that'll keep your mouth shut and functioning with a smile on your face (just ignore the glazed, empty eyes).
Having said that, the vibe in the local ward where I spent most of my time as a Mormon in California is completely different, much more relaxed and less obsessed with "perfection". I've not been on meds for depression since that time, but from what I've heard it sounds like not much has changed, at least not in Utah. Women struggling with feelings of being de-valued, or pregnant and beyond what they can handle, are certainly at risk, but for the males, the Mormon church's vicious homophobia would be a daily challenge for anyone who's gay and living in fear and/or denial. And so long as TSCC continues to push the guilt, fear, and denial meme, there will continue to be depression, shame, and sometimes, sadly.....more suicides.

Date: April 23, 2011 07:45PM

I should correct something; there are women who are lesbian Mormons as well, so the homophobia would apply to them too. But the attention is almost exclusively focused on the men, with the accompanying stress

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 06:34PM

That scientist is not looking at the full picture. He best do some more research and it will become quite apparent.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 07:13PM

Because of the fucking mindset that people who suffer mental health problems are weak.

Posted by: luvulongtime ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 07:53PM

Sounds like the author needs to take an intro research methods class. Welcome to "demand characteristics" and "faking" on questionnaires. They say they are happy because they are told their entire life they are the happiest people on earth. Because of the constant beat of that drum from the pulpit they feel the need to provide the "right" answers to others. If the author was a scientist that was worth a d*** he would realize that when the actual behavior (suicide, anti-depressant usage) does not match what comes out of a person's mouth, he should trust the behavior.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.