Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 10:58PM

10) Word of Wisdom was unique (i.e. not a contemporary idea in 1833).
9) Sacred Underwear has magic powers.
8) 19 year olds have good sales skills and are well-equipped to answer the many issues with Mormonism that are available to the majority of adults in developed countries.
7) Jaredite barges.
6) Obedient members become gods with their own worlds, own Jesus's, own Mary's, etc.
5) Reformed Egyptian existed as a language leaving no archaeological traces.
4) Old White dudes in SLC receive direction from a Deity.
3) The Book of Abraham is what it claims to be and is NOT derived from as portions of ordinary Egyptian funerary documents
2) An ancient civilization existed in the Western Hemisphere consisting of Lamanites and Nephites...in a limited geographical area...that hasn't been found.
1) A young treasure hunter with a history of being a con man was chosen by a deity to dig up ancient golden plates, translate them by use of some carnival sunglasses and magic rocks, beg for the money to publish it, and then deliver said plates to an angel that took the plates back to Disneyland.

Feel free to add your own additions....Happy Easter!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 11:10PM

Note that Mormons haven't much to say about Easter. That is, if you don't count plastic eggs.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 11:13PM

11. Jesus Christ once crucified for all mans sins needs a

Real-Estate arm of his church

12. Founder marrying 14 year old girls was Okee-dokee

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 11:27PM

A nevermo here....can you explain the Jaredite barges? Your list is quite good.

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: April 23, 2011 11:41PM

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 04:58AM

15. When you get to the pearly gates, even though god is all-seeing and all-knowing and has perfect records of every time you touched you naughty bits, he will still require a series of secret handshakes, just to be sure.

16. You should follow a bunch of asinine rules that make your life miserable here on earth, even though you could really just wait for some Mo to post-death baptize you and get in to heaven afterward anyway.

17. Adam is god. But he isn't. Brigham Young is a mouthpiece for god. Except when he says insane contradictory things, in which case you're to look away and pray for a testimony.

18. The temperature of your caffeine will effect your entry into heaven.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 03:01PM

Damn you--put a warning next time. Now I have to clean up the monitor from spewing my drink all over!

Date: April 24, 2011 06:06PM

Was the drink you spilled caffeinated? If so, what temperature are you drinking it at, charlatan???

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 05:54AM

I'll add:
- secret handshakes to get into heaven.
- Literal belief in the impossible OT myths.
- The mopologists claiming that Nephites rode Tapirs.
- "translating" the golden plates into obsolete language
- The need to put a spell on food in order to eat it
- The complete lack of understanding for the differences between knowledge and faith.

Mormons are indeed a "peculiar people".

Date: April 24, 2011 06:05AM

Wait wait, a spell on food? Please elaborate.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 03:36PM

"Dear HF, please bless this food we are about to recieve, that it may be nutritious and tasty. Inthenameofjesuschristamen" That last sentence is what makes it a spell, because they expect HF to oblige just because they ended the prayer with the right words.

Date: April 24, 2011 06:02PM

Oh, okay. So it's just a slightly different take on saying grace then? I heard spell and thought, well, SPELL. Sorry, I have tons and tons of Pagan friends and I was really hoping to see someone smudging sage over the dinner table while dancing around it widdershins or something. Although I guess they do their fair share of spoken only spells...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 02:36PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 02:47PM

when you don't do well. If you do fine, it's because of the church.

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 03:18PM

Don't forget:

They also claim:

1) That blacks are the descendants of Cain

2) That plural marriage is the higher law and practiced in the highest level of heaven (sorry ladies!)

3) That reparative therapy works.

4) That watching a 2 hour long 80's video and making funny signs with your hands qualifies you for entering into heaven...and 10% of your income qualifies you for the video (of course).

My husband and I were sitting out in the sun today watching our kids play out in the yard, and I asked him, how happy are you that you're not in a suit and tie listening to someone talk about the atonement and then tie it to a guilt trip about missionary work and church service...for 3 hours! HAPPY EASTER!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 03:26PM

25(?): the Kinderhook Plates were a separate & distinct verification of the presence of Nephites/Lamanites in America... translated by the Gift & Power of...

o wait...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2011 03:32PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.