Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 02:24PM

From what i'm understanding the "priesthood" is/was it in the church. Does that mean if someone as myself would have joined I'd be having to answer to them?? I take it that behind closed doors they are somewhat "Rock stars" of their church/congregation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: KC ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 02:37PM

there are thousands of priesthood holders that are regular people that nobody cares at all about. The top leadership is the only ones people care about, and that includes women as well. Sherri Dew became almost greater than the prophet to many of the women in the church before they took her out of leadership.

No special treatment for men who hold the priesthood, I mean they give it to you at 12, and then you just get more and more the older you get. No eductaion or training needed.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 02:48PM

When her oldest son turned 12 and was ordained a Deacon she wept at the stand about how grateful she was to finally have Priesthood in her home.

Rockstar status only comes by way of being a General Authority.
Everyone else is just the male member of the ward.
At 12:Deacon
14:Teacher
16: Priest

18+ Elder

High Priest usually occurs when you are called into the Bishopric, or if you are in a large ward like in Utah, you'll probably graduate to HighPriest in your 40's.

KC is right- there is no training other than faithful fulfillment of your duties. Once ordained, a Priesthood member is expected to serve as he is directed by his administrative leaders.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 02:58PM

Umm KC,

in reference to your comment about "no education or training required," there is education. As a young man in the church you get taught plenty about not touching your "little factory!" For crying out loud, we all know that good priesthood holders don't touch themselves!

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 04:55PM

We got a really thorough education on how testicles produce sperm. Quite literally there are thousands of little workers who will speed up production whenever the factory owner is unclean.

What I really hated was the sperm factory workers unions...

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 03:00PM

It's not nicknamed the 'penishood' for nothing.

every male member is a priesthood holder..... If he isn't there's something seriously wrong.

so... priesthood is nothing special

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 03:01PM

But, as I see it, the females other than RS are not "special" in the church, huh?

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 04:31PM

well, if 1/2 your people are leaders, you got to have someone who's led

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 03:31PM

Actually, they are 'Spechul'!

a) every time their Man gets.... (you know)
b) about once a month, duration: a few days
c) other?

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 04:06PM

Men have the priesthood and women have motherhood. That's their canned response no matter what blah,blah,blah so much crap

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 05:06PM

I remember that as a young boy it was pointed out to me someday you will hold the priesthood. Was not to sure what it meant,,but as a young squirt,,it sounded impressive. After being babtized and anointed,,then all the party cake was gone. Didn't feel any different. I was still the misfit,,trouble maker I was before. Mormons seem to like titles and love to label people with negitive names.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 05:07PM

...have experienced some serious mysoginistic behavior from people in the church. I wouldn't say that worship of priesthood is ubiquitous.

Of course, I'm coming from a male perspective, so I'm sure there is stuff I didn't see.

Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 05:14PM

Men in leadership, such as bishop or stake president, and who also have the priesthood, are looked up too, or it is believed they are given answers from god, because of their roles. It is also believed that callings from the bishop are from god therefore, you do not say no.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.