Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: justmy2cents ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 05:18PM

Ok this drives me crazy. I have heard this too many times. When there is a death or tragedy I hear "I am so grateful for the gospel and knowing I will see my family again, I just don't know how everyone else (non-members) can get through loss." Or when they know someone who isn't LDS and has lost someone they just want to share the gospel with them so they "know" it is not the last time they will see them. Ok are people really that ignorant? How can mormons not know that most believing Christians out there (as well as other faiths probably) strongly believe they will see their loved ones after death. I just think it is a bit self absorbed to think you are the only ones with that knowledge!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 05:19PM

Nobody's gonna be reunited after death.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 05:23PM

I was raised in a Christian home, from several generations of Ministers and they taught that we would see our loved ones after death in Heaven, along with our animals, pets, etc.

It's my experience that anyone with any religious leanings at all believes in life with family after death.
Mormonism has some specific beliefs.
The church I grew up in did also.

There may be Mormons who know nothing of other religious beliefs so they don't know others believe in life after death with their friends, loved ones and pets.

Then there is Reincarnation that is believed by more people than a Christian or Mormon after life.

Date: April 25, 2011 05:37PM

exactly.. You would just think since mormons consider themselves Christians and read the bible (or have interacted with other Christians at all) they would know that seeing people again after death is a common shared belief. I guess it just kinda ties in with "we are the only ones" mentality so it irritates me.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 07:06PM

because of something I heard on TV. I was taught from a very young age that "our" church was the only one who believed in life after death. There was a little boy in our neighborhood who drowned in the creek. He was from a Catholic family and there was extensive talk about him not being with his family. I was taught that Catholics believed in dust to dust--whatever--and that there was no afterlife. Being in Utah--you don't get much other exposure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 07:07PM by cl2.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 08:38PM

Lent begins with the words you are dust and to dust you will return...but you will see your family..but they tell us there are no marriages in heaven.

Do I know if this is true..no I don't.

We might just end up as dust..if so nothing we do will change that.

stormy

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 07:24PM

Jesus's words to the man dying beside him on the cross, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." (Luke 23:43)

If a dying criminal can walk with Jesus in Paradise, we all can.

I find it equally irritating how Mormons appropriate the concepts of sharing "the gospel" (Christians have been doing this for two thousand years, thank you very much,) and how they claim to share knowledge of Jesus (ditto.) What they say makes sense if someone has no religion whatsoever. But for a Christian (practicing, inactive, or cultural,) what they have to share is largely redundant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 07:25PM by summer.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 07:38PM

The difference is those other religions don't have to go to the temple, dress up in funny clothes, learn secret handshakes and wear ugly undies for the rest of their lives. ANd they get to have fun weddings and invite anyone they want.

Date: April 25, 2011 08:39PM

Yes the mind set is so hard to swallow. I have a good friend that is not a mormon but knows a lot of mormons. This woman is one of the best people you could ever meet. She is always helping others and would give you the shirt off her back, Others in the church have recognized this too so they ask me if she has been "talked to" about the church, She has her faith and attends church every Sunday so why do they think it would only make sense for her to be mormon since she is such a great person! Same thing with another family friend that are good christians. People assume they are such a great family they should convert to mormonism!

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 08:56PM

I always found this crazy. When I was TBM I believed this too. Almost every TBM that I know thinks they are the only one's who belive you see family after death. Most also think that only mormons do really good deads. And they don't seem to understand that other religions give help in a crisis. Many churches do alot more than the Mormons. Catholic Community Services do more for people than Mormon Social Services ever do. Most churches in my community have food banks available to anyone while the mormons keep their food assistance program for mostly members and then only if you agree to the strings attached.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 09:02PM

Being a presbyterian all of my life, we were always led to believe you will join your loved ones one day. You may or may not recognize one another but you will reunite. While investigating when it came to me asking this, as well as eternal marriage(I'd never heard these 2 things before) the response was "they just didn't know" "all of this time it(truth) got lost" I won't state most of us here, but some of us here exchanged vows and stated "Til death do us part" Never knew anyone who ever stated anything other in their marriage vows.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 09:46PM

deb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...but some of us here exchanged vows and stated "Til death do us part"

"Till death do us part" means for this lifetime, not for the afterlife. It just means that your loved one is no longer on this plane, and you are free to remarry. But you expect to meet your loved one once again after you both have died.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 09:08PM

I don't remember word for word what was stated, but when questioning some of these things, it was also stated s'thing to the effect that me just being sprinkled with water drops on head that i wasn't baptized. So then I somewhat questioned and it was said well you were baptized but he didn't have proper authority to immerse you into complete water. It was s'thing as such. They did tend to speak well about presby. because I took it they didn't want to upset myself.

Posted by: FatTuesday ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 11:04PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.