Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rickster ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 09:51PM

So my wife and I left the church in December, and most members of our Branch have been ok (ie not hassling us, and still chatting to us when we see them around town). But my wife ran into a member we haven't seen since we left, and they chatted for a while. She thought that we had moved from the area, so it goes to show how much she really cared about us! She then did the usual mormon thing and said how sad she was about us leaving the church. My wife did well and said: 'Don't be because we're not. In fact we're happier than ever'! And then she dropped the bombshell on us:
'But you used to be such a lovely family'! My wife responded that we still were, and then the member made her excuses and left as quick as she could. I tell you what though, it's a good job I wasn't there because I would have given her a right piece of my mind. It was ok when I was trying to extend callings to her, or ask her to say prayers at church, or give a talk and she would refuse every time ( I was on the Branch Pres), but now when it suits her she comes across as all pious and holier than thou!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 10:00PM

Hey Rickster! Keep your head up! I actually haven't heard the word "branch" in over a decade. You must be old school. No disrespect but have you been around a while? As in, have you been in tscc for a number of years? It's that term that dates you. Or maybe in a different country? Either way, we are here for ya!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 10:04PM

A Branch is rather common. It depends on whether you have enough active members to be a Branch or a Ward. I've belonged to both. For a while when our ward split, our numbers were low enough that we were technically a Branch for a couple years. The Branch that was formed from the split just a couple years ago finally had enough members to qualify as a Ward.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 10:06PM

Date: April 24, 2011 10:07PM

Well I do live in a branch, so I guess that's what I have to call it! I think they are due to become a ward in the summer, as they supposedly have enough tithe payers etc 'to be up-graded'. Mind you, that was before I left, and now the the BP and his counsellor are moving out the area with work, so I guess we'll see! I was in the church 29 long years by the way, and yes, in a different country (the good old UK)!

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 07:41AM

Resigning from branch presidency - nice one Rickster! How did the BP and other councillor take the news and what issues did you cite? If you don't mind me asking...

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 10:08PM

Thanks for the information JoD3:360. I just haven't heard it called that in years. All I hear is ward, stake, area, mission, yada yada yada yada

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 24, 2011 10:21PM

Easier said than done, fer shur...

I understand where you are coming from. Our friends vanished almost immediately. Even before I finally left for good, those who had previously been happy to act like friends would look away in the church hallway, or pointedly put their hands in their pockets so you won't be tempted to shake them.

When we had a chance to meet up with some old friends the only thing they wanted to talk about was callings. Then I was asked if I was still in the Bishopric and that they might drop in on that Sunday, I had to tell them that we were going to a different church these days. Ha! You'd think I'd just busted a zit or something. While they were leaving, she said that she felt a certain darkness about us. Hmmm, light and delightsome one minute, dark and loathsome the next!

The thing is, all mormons are trained to avoid anything that does not glorify the church, to avoid anyone who has aligned themselves with Satan, and to protect their most precious posession (a testimony) at all cost.

It hurts and it stings, and it brings bitter tears, but the thing is this- they are trained that way by the cult that we rejected. All we can do is to remain kind to them and show that we are not any more evil than we were as faithful yokemates.

Mnay mormons are unhappy and if they see exmormons are happy and not enemies, they too might begin to see the need to escape and will need someone they can trust like you to help them.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 12:50AM

That is just evil when they talk about a certain darkness is around you now that you are out. Also when the op mentioned that the woman said "You USED TO BE such a lovely family"...How dare she!!!! Right there I'd be cussing up a storm. I'd come right out and tell her about her rude, disrespectful conversation- all coming from someone you used to think was a friend....It is all about their arrogance. Anytime they can put you down they will. Sad that a church teaches them to do that, but they do.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 08:05AM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 08:13AM

In areas where there aren't many Mormons, there are still lots of Branches. I have a friend who is a Branch President.

Date: April 25, 2011 08:17AM

Hi Matt, what part of the uk are you in?

Posted by: xr ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 09:47AM

If you leave the church you are miserable on the inside and struggling to overcome difficult sins and pride.

Mormons can't believe that someone can be happy outside the church, and how could they? To believe someone can be truly happy without the church would invalidate their reasons for still being a member.

Pity that, as a follower of the church, there are so many dimensions of happiness that they cannot realize.

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 11:29AM

GEEZ have I ever been there. Sure you're happier than ever and most likely lovelier than ever and better than you used to be in a million ways, but there's no way in hell anyone from your branch will believe that.

My biggest heartbreak and anger from leaving the church was the assholery that came from our "friends" and "brothers and sisters" in the wards and branches we attended. We thought we had connected with all of these people on a human to human level that could withstand respectful differences of opinion. Mormons are almost always (in my experience) very childish and immature in this regard.

Sorry she doesn't know how to act right. The good news is that most of your new friends and acquaintances will be nothing like them.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 11:39AM

Perhaps you're nicer than ever since you're not burdened with nasty meetings, callings, and people like that silly one your wife unfortunately ran into. What a dip!

Date: April 25, 2011 12:50PM

I do feel less stressed out, and my wife has commented that I seem a lot less up-tight than when I was in the church. Looking at things objectively, I would say this is the happiest we have been as a family in the 7 years we have been married. Probably due to the fact that we actually get to spend more quality time together, and devote the whole of Sunday's to family only time. It's great! Not saying that life is and always will be perfect, but it's definitely better than it was for sure!

Date: April 25, 2011 02:15PM

Yeah it was a big shock to the branch! Me and my wife had been considering our position for a while and doing a lot of studying etc on the usual doctrinal issues. We decided that I would sit down with the BP and ask for a release from our callings (wife was on YW pres). We were thinking that we would just see how we got on for a while without the stress of callings etc, but after more soul searching during the week we realised we knew it wasn't true and couldn't pretend anymore. Spoke to the BP again and told him our decision, and to be honest I think he was expecting it. That was that! After 29 years it was all over! We had to meet with the SP etc but now they pretty much leave us alone, apart from the odd comment when we see people around town (as above). We feel great!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 25, 2011 03:59PM

'branches' were under Control of the mission, rather than of a Stake...duluth, mn; 1960's

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 08:53AM

It was still like that in Spain when I was a missionary 2001-2003

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 08:58AM

of how beautiful the "gateway to the North Shore" is!! beauty!
Duluth,MN where the yearly average daily temperature is 39F!!
Brrrrr... but beauty!

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: April 26, 2011 04:31PM

U Betcha, it's a lovely place. The Utah members tell unhappy or discontent members there that the church is different (better) in Utah and Idaho. "It's not the church, it's the people!" Gimme a break.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.