Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: star1bandit ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 06:53PM

So my best friend(anon123 for refferance) and her sister joined this venture crew. They were really having fun with it. Very much enjoying it. I wasn't able to go on one of the activities this last saturday, but my bff did and had a great time, very happy with it. She hasn't givven me ANYTHING to make me think that she wanted to quit, and her sister even decided to run for treasurer. They've been happy with it, especially the sister.

Now all of the sudden, COMPLETLY out of the blue, her dad calls my mom and tells her that they are both quitting because the crew is youth run, and they're used to having the parents run it.

At first, hearing that they're quitting was a punch in the gut. A little bit because she was quitting, but mostly because why was her dad telling my mom, to tell me this? Why wasn't it comming from my best friend? We hung out saturday night. We've been texting today and yesterday.

Then I realised that thinking about it like that was putting two and two together and making three. Now I'm making four, I really think it's her dad's decision. Maybe because her sister chose it one night over their tuesday night young womans deal, which had moved to thursday (The sister loves it, so that she missed it is saying something). Then I also remembered the dad wasn't too happy about it being youth run.

Anyway, long story short, I'm pretty curious about whether my friend was practicing her acting skills very, very well, or if her dad happens to be mad that the TEENAGE, HIGH-SCHOOL group isn't being run like little kids by adults.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 06:57PM

The Mormon Church even treats the adults like children, not letting them even use their own life experiences when teaching classes.

So it's not surprising that they are treating you like babies. They don't want you to be so grown up by the time you graduate from High School that you might decide not to go on a mission.

They want 19 year old boys who are still trying to please their parents enough that they are afraid NOT to go on a mission.

You called it.

Anagrammy

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 07:27PM

Teens are perfectly capable of running clubs and activities with some adult oversight. In fact teens *should* be running their own activities. How will they learn otherwise?

I used to teach swimming at a Girl Scout summer camp. Teen girls as young as 14 were trained to skipper ocean-going sailboats. They were fantastic at it, and it did wonders for their confidence.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 10:11PM

anagrammy NAILED IT; tscc treats ANY Decision above Where to Park as something in their domain...

If you don't DO IT ... just Exactly as someone else Dictated it...'Yo in a Heap of Trouble!'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.