Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonymous ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 06:48PM

...when I hear my favorite LDS songs. I'm ashamed to admit this, which is why I'm posting it anonymously. I don't know why. I'm not going back...but I had so many touching experiences in the church when I was there, especially with doing service work. I still get tears in my eyes when I hear "Because I Have Been Given Much." It was and still is one of my favorite songs. Unfortunately now I can't hear it without thinking about the fact that it came from a cult. It's still so hard to let go of it all, even though I know it isn't true and I've been out for more than a year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 07:01PM

My favorite songs are Ave Maria, Amazing Grace, Nearer my God to Thee and God be With you Till we Meet again.

Not sure if the last one is Mormon created, but all of these songs do bring up some memories of church, but I love the songs anyhow...

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 10:39PM

I used to sing those songs in my Protestant church also. We sang Amazing Grace at my father's gravesite service, so that one makes me tear up.

"When we've been there 10,000 years... "

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 07:21PM

I still like "If You Could Hie To Kolob", but then I've always been a fan of sci-fi.

It's okay to have positive memories of your time as a mormon. Those years as a mormon and all those experiences are part of who we are... for better or worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 07:24PM by strivingforbalance.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 07:36PM

anonymous Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...when I hear my favorite LDS songs. I'm ashamed
> to admit this, which is why I'm posting it
> anonymously. I don't know why. I'm not going
> back...but I had so many touching experiences in
> the church when I was there, especially with doing
> service work. I still get tears in my eyes when I
> hear "Because I Have Been Given Much." It was and
> still is one of my favorite songs. Unfortunately
> now I can't hear it without thinking about the
> fact that it came from a cult. It's still so hard
> to let go of it all, even though I know it isn't
> true and I've been out for more than a year.

It's another example of a hymn 'borrowed' by TSCC from another source, so don't let it worry you! ;o))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Noll_Crowell

http://lifesgoldenrule.com/2009/07/22/because-i-have-been-given-much/

Posted by: anonymous ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 08:07PM

That's so great to see. Thank you! It's silly how little things can bring back such horrible memories. But this is such a beautiful song that had so much meaning for me, and still has a great message even if the morg uses it.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 08:03PM

I always played a lot of Mormon music, remember Janeen Brady? All you have to do is change the words and just keep singing.

Dumb, dumb, ye saints
No toil nor labor fear
But with joy, end your way...etc.

They'll never call me on a mission
cause I have had a thought or two
They'll never call me on a mission
to preach and teach the truth
if I am not their tool...

I'm exMormon, yes I am...

I'm an adult of God
and he has sent me here
has given me a brain and mind
and parents kind and dear...

Anagrammy

They are not taking anything more from me. I'm keeping the music I liked.

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 08:16PM

I was like that with "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief". I always thought it was a beautiful illustration of what Christ would have talked about - real charity and loving your fellow man.

I also found it interesting because I felt it paralleled ancient Greek mythology that gods came down from Mt. Olympus pretending to be paupers or something. Of course, Jesus probably wouldn't have punished them if they hadn't helped, but it still seemed similar to me. Somehow the mind gymnastics successfully kept me from pondering the fact that the church inadvertently told a similar story to ancient, non-christian, polytheistic theology.

Anyhow, that probably effects me the most besides "Because I Have Been Given Much" - despite the fact that I've been an atheist for years. I don't look back on the times when I listened to them with fondness, because often times I wasn't happy. But the energy from it; the hair standing up on the back of your neck, the tingling on the edges of your ears when listening, the tightness in your chest, maybe even tears welling up - it's very powerful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 08:18PM by drewmeister.

Posted by: LongTimegone ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 10:12PM

Sounds to me like you are a perfectly normal human.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090223221230.htm

"Brain Hub That Links Music, Memory And Emotion Discovered

We all know the feeling: a golden oldie comes blaring over the radio and suddenly we're transported back — to a memorable high-school dance, or to that perfect afternoon on the beach with friends. But what is it about music that can evoke such vivid memories?

By mapping the brain activity of a group of subjects while they listened to music, a researcher at the University of California, Davis, now thinks he has the answer: The region of the brain where memories of our past are supported and retrieved also serves as a hub that links familiar music, memories and emotion."

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 08:17PM

It's refreshing to know I'm not the only one who tears up at emotionally powerful music. I recently downloaded Firebird Suite as performed by the Chicago Symphony. Misty-eyed every time I listen to it.

To be emotionally involved with music, art, a sunset, a baby's smile and so many more things in life is a good sign that you're a human being. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 09:22PM

All the songs lostmystic brought up we sing in our Protestant church....so do remember many songs are not MORMON songs.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 10:15PM

Mormon hymns are more fun to sing than hymns from other churches. There is nothing wrong with remembering aspects of Mormonism that you enjoy.

Mormons have taken the melody from other hymns, sure, but there are plenty of homegrown Mormon hymns that are acceptable to like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 10:16PM by snb.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 10:38PM

In fact, enjoy whatever happy memories you have of the church and the Mormons you knew, guilt-free! Those happy memories are unrelated to deception and lies from the leadership regarding church history, doctrine, and practices.

Remember that the only people who would want you to feel shame or guilt for every little thing are those who want to control you.

There are certain LDS hymns and children's hymns I will always love (as well as some I will always loathe, e.g. “Follow the prophet.”) One day I pulled out the hymnal to sing a few of my favorites—and was taken aback at how many pretty hymns sneaked in the need for “obedience” in the midst of otherwise beautiful lyrics! Sad, but it reinforced my thankfulness to be out!

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 10:59PM

"Because I Have Been Given Much" - my favorite LDS hymn! I was primary chorister for 12 years and taught all 3 verses to my kids. I loved that calling, watching 9-10 and 11 year old BOYS learn to love to sing. I loved those kids and they knew it. They would sing their hearts out for me, and many have joined professional choirs now that they are older.

That is what I finally realize is the only thing I miss about the mo church, teaching kids to love to sing. I have few gifts, but that one was surely mine. I made literally hundreds of visual aids over those 12 years, and when I got divorced I just could not throw out one thing from my Primary closet that was packed full, so I just closed the door and left it all behind.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 01:12AM

and I'm an atheist.

Many of the words still have meaning for me, and particularly spoke to me when I was finding my way out of the church. (Just not the Jesus stuff).

BTW, when something transports you back to the way you felt while you were in a cult . . . . that's referred to as "floating" by some cult exit counselors. It's a perfectly normal result of the cult programming, not evidence that the cult was the one and only true church (and most cults DO claim to be the one and only true church).

Posted by: scandahoovian ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 02:08AM

As a nevermo, I was just turned on to 'I hope they call me on a mission'. That was so fucking awful I wanted to cry. ;)

Posted by: LongTimegone ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 03:04AM

As long as you are crying, here are a couple of links to further torture you:

"I Love to See The Temple" sung by a Primary choir. Of course they work the phrase "promise to obey" into the lyrics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhialLmt9JQ

"Follow the Prophet."
The chorus: "Follow the prophet, follow the prophet, follow the prophet, don't go astray! Follow the prophet, follow the prophet, follow the prophet, he knows the way."
Let's all say "brainwashing" together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFks_graPQ&feature=related

"Book of Mormon Stories"
...but the Mormons NEVER taught that the Lamanites were American Indians. Nope. Never. Just ignore the Primary songs and Book of Mormon and all that stuff that proves they did. It's just your imagination. You obviously have been listening to "anti" lies!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d_mt9F_Duc&feature=related

These make "I Hope They Call Me on a Mission" seem downright cheery.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 02:23AM

two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

brainwashing

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 05:03AM

Nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: Anonymous ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 10:13PM

I heard "Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing" at the Methodist church I've been attending recently now, and I agree. Some of the songs like that bring back memories, but I know that it's not just relevant to the LDS church. It's very relevant to most Christian religions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.