Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonymous1234567 ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 10:16PM

I've noticed a lot of the members here are Atheists now, and I'm wondering who here is still religious and what religion are you, and why?

I've recently started going to a Methodist church nearby, and I'm hoping that I can start learning more about it. What about you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deb ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 10:20PM

Presbyterian here, and consider myself to be a christian. My paternal grandfather was presby. so therefore when my parents wed, they went to being presby, as well. (he was methodist) Investigating LDS faith, I do realize it is somewhat different, especially in the way you're everything but condemned if you do not attend church, etc. if you're not involved in RS. The presby faith is a faith that they do not bother you, but they are there for you if need be.

Posted by: anonymous1234567 ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 10:24PM

What made you (or anyone that is reading this) want to still stay in a faith? I'm extremely curious because, like I said, most members of this site are Atheists it seems. I don't want to totally give up on religion of course, so I'm just trying to figure out who's still a part of a religion and why.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 10:27PM

I believe in God and attend church occasionally, not Mormon. I like the ritual and music. I find many Christian teachings appealing, but not all. Nor do I believe much of it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 10:29PM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 10:29PM

I was a born again Christian when I first came here but my faith was hanging by a very frayed thread before that. It just didn't make sense to me when I looked at Christianity with the same neutrality as I had Mormonism.

Posted by: Madison40 ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 10:32PM

I'm a Methodist

Posted by: Starry ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 10:40PM

Catholic. Love the richness of the faith and traditions.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 10:41PM

I am Methodist....raised my daughter in this faith and she was always happy and then she met a Mormon and converted. Hope as she compares the two she sees what she got herself into and wishes she was back in her old faith.

Methodists do not judge, count your tithing then call you on it, hold interviews, scold you for not being more involved in church activities, see if you are in attendance each Sun, and they never assign you a job, etc. It astounds me what Mormons do to keep a tight grip on their members.

The pastor invites you to volunteer. So does the choir director, Sun. School Director, Camp director, Office personnel. What a concept. I help with one thing throughout the yr.(usually only monthly) and also I help for one week in the Summer- Vacation Bible School. That's it as to the time element. I will help for other childrens events and at their yrly yard sale though.

I take comfort in the Bible teachings of the New Testament and it helped me immensely when my daughter just gave it all up for Mormonism. I am a person who benefits from a gathering of people on a Sun. morn. I just don't do pressure so would never attend a church like that. If I travel a morn. on the beach or a hike in the mtns. serves me well too. Just enjoying nature. Best wishes to you and all who want to experience REAL Christianity.

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 10:49PM

I'm an agnostic but go to a liberal protestant church for the social aspects and because they are into human rights and the environment. I also know a lot about the foundation of Christianity and also about Judaism so I share those insights.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 11:40PM

I was 20, couldn't go home and was hanging out with an older man (who was in the choir). I liked the church, joined the choir and felt at home. I was sort of drifting (actually homeless) and working at restaurants to get by.

After a few months, the pastor asked me to meet with him one day. He asked me some straight questions:

"Where are you supposed to be?"

Me: "In college." (I'd dropped out.)

Him: "Why aren't you in college?"

Me: "I don't have any money. I don't even have a home."

Him. "That's why there are loans and grants."

Me: "I guess."

Him: "How well do you know this guy?" (the older man)

Me: "Not very well. He's nice, though."

Him: "You don't know him. You need to be where you need to be."

Me: silent. Thinking.

Soon afterwards I got an entry-level job, got a student loan, returned to college and broke up with the older guy. I got my life together. I just needed a kick in the butt because the pastor knew damn well I was seeking comfort in the church and in a bad relationship. He was trained in his seminary to spot wanderers like me, and he understood unhealthy relationships. He was not like a parent, but he was a good pastor. I'm glad I followed his advice.

Now I have a steady career, great relationship (built over 20 years) and glad I found my feet.

Notice: He did not instruct me to pray about anything. He just suggested that I find my own path, and that the one that I was on might not be the correct one. I felt kinda booted out of a church where I felt warm and safe into the real world, but wow. He wasn't going to let me use his church as a crutch, not for one moment.

His definition of "Presbyterianism" was, simply, "Ouch. I stubbed my toe. Glad that's over."

Date: May 02, 2011 11:44PM

I was not kicked out of the Presbyterian church. I returned often during my college years and until I moved away. They don't kick people out. I found great friends there and a lot of good advice. That church had meditation sessions as well as prayer sessions. I have fond memories of those days.

Date: May 02, 2011 11:51PM

Thanks for sharing that. I love it when people such as pastors look for and care for those who need some direction and guidance but they don't dictate what you should do. They simply give some suggestions. That was one nice pastor to see your potential and help you realize it. A simple "Where are you supposed to be?" gets the ball rolling. And to think he didn't ask for money before you left either, did he?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 12:16AM by honestone.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 08:01AM

I'm a Presbyterian too, but I don't go to church anymore. After his experience with the LDS church, my husband was turned off of organized religion. We were married by a Presbyterian minister in an interfaith service.

Date: May 02, 2011 11:47PM

Yes, that sounds presbyterian, they do not get all into your business, etc. but are there for you as need be.

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 11:51PM

I was a member of a Baptist church when I started investigating, but I was no longer happy at this church. I never converted, but I did end up switching to a different Baptist church. I enjoy the friendships, the uplifting messages, and the mix of upbeat and reverent music.

Date: May 02, 2011 11:54PM

almostfell, i'm so happy for you that you found a church you are comfortable with. I'm relocating to TX from MS and I feel as if after settling in I'm going to search for a church.

Date: May 03, 2011 12:18AM

Dang but churches are BIG in Texas (size wise)....I was shocked when we first took our daugther there for college. Some that I saw were just amazing. HUGE! Must be lots for kids to do at those churches.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 12:06AM

Exmos are typically not raging atheists as a reaction to mormonism.

BUT, we have paid a very heavy price for believing things without sufficient evidence.

I for one have no intention of making that mistake again.

Many here have studied many other faiths, traditions and philosophies and have determined that the evidence for the truth claims of these belief systems is also on shaky or non-existent ground. Agnosticism can be somewhat comforting, but it too is essentially non-evidentiary.

Atheism is only what is left once other possibilities are shown to be improbable.

I am sympathetic to those who are drawn to the traditions and rhythms of ritual and long to be able to recreate the grounding feeling that they once provided, but anymore I have to recognize that they are analogous to the imaginary "steak" eaten by Cypher in the Matrix, meaningless in any cosmic sense, and a poor trade generally speaking.

Like many here I will keep alert for any new compelling evidence. Believe in god?? Sure, happy to, give me a good reason!

Date: May 03, 2011 12:59AM

Now when I get "warm and fuzzy" feelings, a red flag goes up. It means I need to get into critical thinking mode.

I think I would ask a mishie "Do you think Isaac Newton had a sudden warm feeling (or worse, revelation) that gravitational forces are true? Or did he work it out intellectually?"

When my keyboard falls up and smacks me in the face, I'll believe Newton had a revelation. What happened was he had to use his intellect, invent the calculus (yes, and Leibniz did as well) in order to make sense of the universe. In Galileo's times those were very dangerous ideas and many were burned at the stake for purporting them. The LDS punishes intellectualism and critical thinking by cutting off people from their families and shunning. The LDS has created the new Dark Age (complete with wrath towards evolution and Darwin) for its members.

It truly makes my brain hurt to think about putting the tough questions on "a shelf." Humans are humans because we have brains. No, The thinking has NOT been done by a profit. Intellectualism is something to be valued, but to a cult, critical thinking is the greatest threat to it's existence.

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 04:26AM

Just two comments: Nobody was burned at the stake for supporting the ideas of Galileo - that's a myth. And Newton was actually a very religious person.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 12:46AM

...or can I?
Christianity takes credit for values that actually were imported.
I value secular humanism, which I interpret as an organic, free-range evolution of ideas and practices, which stand or fall by their natural fitness.
It's the opposite of totalitarianism.
Secular humanist atheists are sometimes accused of complicity in the holocausts of the likes of other "atheists" such as Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, etc. (Hitler was not an atheist).
But Hilter was a totalitarian.
All those regimes had the common trait of purging dissidents, intellectuals, and others that didn't fit their style. They were ideologically anti-diversity.
Unnatural.
Nature depends on diversity.
If everything were the same, they'd all be prone to the same failures. But because there's a broad diversity in nature, life has survived several near-extinctions because even in the worst of times there were a few creatures to be found among many that had an inherent resistance to the problem.
The same is true with ideas.
I think Christianity is bull shit.
Not because every idea is bull shit, but because it's claim of almighty authority over mankind is bogus.
It has allot of VERY good ideas that have proven their fitness, such as tolerance.
But, I in no way believe that a Jesus sword hangs over the world in blanket condemnation of all mankind.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 12:55AM

Post-Mormonism I can't seem to take to organised religion.

Posted by: sweettasteofwoman ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 01:48AM

yes I'm now a born again christian that is saved by grace,I recently attended a nice bible based church that is having revival and outreach,and we had a famous singer to come in and bless us with gospel songs,it was lovely,we christians love Jesus Christ and the preacher sure can preach at this church,he does it with passion and love.

if the lord is willing me and other will be attending this christian church again soon,to hear more amazing and uplifting preaching of the holy bible word of God.

it is a seventh day adventist church,pretty much I guess baptist or pentecost atmosphere.

we christians are happy when they say lets go into the house of the lord and worship,the great God of Israel

as for me and my house we shall serve the lord.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 03:04AM by sweettasteofwoman.

Date: May 03, 2011 02:03AM

Oh that sounds so welcoming and warm and fuzzy. That minister must be so uplifting... and to think! There's no thinking! Just like a cup of hot chocolate after sledding in the crispy snow.

How much did they want in the offering plate?

PS: My Grandma liked that preacher, too (or his likeness) and she gave every cent she had to his wonderful church.

Anyway, it's Seventh Day Adventist. At least try to get the spelling right. Pentocost? Define, please. Amy Semple McPherson was......? And the her church developed into....?

Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

Date: May 03, 2011 02:58AM

pentecost just means in biblical times when the holy spirit came and filled the church on the day of pentecost.

they were all filled with the holy spirit and they began to speak different languages by the power the holy spirit was giving them act 2:4

well we did not have to give any money if we did not want to,or if we did not have anything to give it was still okay with the preacher.

calling his followers to him,Jesus said,I tell you the truth this poor widow gave more than all those rich people,they gave only what they did not need,this woman is very poor,but she gave all she had to live on. mark 12:43

Date: May 03, 2011 03:06AM

what did amy mcpherson church develop into?

Posted by: mistymemories ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 02:26AM

Since its only been a short while since leaving "The Church" the jury is still out. I am leaning towards no formal church or religion, just my own personal faith that God is out there somewhere and will love and accept me as I am.

Date: May 03, 2011 02:50AM

How about living without any organized religions for a while? Sunday mornings are great for sleeping in, brunch, reading the paper and especially when the weather is good doing some exploring of local parks, trails or just kicking back at home and watching movies or sports. It's so great after a long week to just do nothing. Doing nothing can be difficult at first.

It's like a renewal. Relaxation does not come easily when one is indoctrinated (either through the Puritanical ethic or religion), but it is healthy. The tough part is separating from "I ought to be at..." vs "I'm going to enjoy this time"

I now love Sundays. OMG staying in PJ's as long as I want.

Date: May 03, 2011 03:04AM

I love Jesus Christ and you too,but I also love going to christian churches to fellowship with other christian believers.

you should become a born again christian that is saved by grace,you will love it.

get in a nice bible based church

It is not about religion,it is about relationship with Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is the bridge between God and man.

Posted by: AnonNow ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 03:19AM

Please read the title of this site: RECOVERY from mormonism;
That means posts like yours makes me want to hurl. My spiritual beliefs are mine. They don't fit on a plastic fish on the bumper of my car. Not jumping from one cult into another. What flavor is your Kool-aid? Share your wonderful spessuuall feelings some other place. Thanks. Bye.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 07:37AM

Be kind, AnonNow! For some people, recovery involves finding other outlets to express one's religious feelings and beliefs. It may also involve exploring how other faiths celebrate, and can serve as a very helpful comparison to the totalitarianism of TSCC.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 08:09AM

Longout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about living without any organized religions
> for a while? Sunday mornings are great for
> sleeping in, brunch, reading the paper and
> especially when the weather is good doing some
> exploring of local parks, trails or just kicking
> back at home and watching movies or sports. It's
> so great after a long week to just do nothing.
> Doing nothing can be difficult at first.
>
> It's like a renewal. Relaxation does not come
> easily when one is indoctrinated (either through
> the Puritanical ethic or religion), but it is
> healthy. The tough part is separating from "I
> ought to be at..." vs "I'm going to enjoy this
> time"
>
> I now love Sundays. OMG staying in PJ's as long as
> I want.

So, it's PJs not TGs, huh? ;o))

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.