Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 06:23PM

He axed me about what the deal was with boys turning 12 and the significance of that.

I told him about receiving the Aaronic Priesthood and then passing the sacrament.

He said that he gets Mormon kids who occasionally talk about that as if they don't want to do it or be a part of it. So we kind of talked about why that might be.

Among other things, I thought it was important for him to know about worthiness interviews and the Morg's stance on little boys touching themselves.

He was horrified to learn about the bishop's interview process as well as the no dinging the dong policy. He said, you know 98% of males do, and the 2% who don't usually have serious issues that need to be addressed.

I told him that those 2% become the leaders of the Mormon church, and that's why it's so messed up.

He was glad to know about that because it will help him as he deals with Mormon teenagers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 06:30PM

People raised outside the church cannot imagine the incredible power of that teaching. It is so destructive. It is a magic "unworthy" button they can implant in a child to make sure they always feel bad enough to come back for absolution.

I have a son, and when he is 11, I am going to sit down wtih all of his leaders and tell them that if any one of them ever conducts a "worthiness interview," I will sue them, as well as the church. As soon as my son asks me about sex, I am going to tell him that he needs to prepare himself to hear misguided people tell him unscientific falsehoods. And that he need never feel unworthy.

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 06:32PM

I remember the first time my bishop asked me if I masturbated. I was like, "yeah... it's awesome."

Church was never the same after that interview...

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 06:51PM

Oh, curse you!

I have to clean my monitor and keyboard now. It's covered with pizza bits.

And thanks for the wonderful laugh.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 06:51PM

rogertheshrubber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People raised outside the church cannot imagine the incredible power of that teaching. It is so destructive.

I think that most neverMos would be astounded to learn of this teaching. It's so far out of the mainstream as to be almost laughable that in the year 2011 young people are still being taught that masturbation is morally wrong.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 06:39PM

Next time you're in Zion give me a ring, and this time I'll shut the hell up and let you speak your bit. I talk too much :-).

Also, Cabbie you're next. I'll have free time soon and you are overdue for a good free lunch. My treat. Let's aim for first week in June.

MiB

Posted by: student ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 07:10PM

It seems like that's where the conversation always went. Tiresome!

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 08:08PM

I think everyone should masturbate. It would end the overpopulation problem. :)

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 08:13PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 08:27PM

When I see what my nephew's idiot bishop has put him through because he masturbates (my SIL told me the story - she's not big on confidentiality), I am beyond grateful that my son is not going to have his mind and his self-esteem messed with like that. It's emotional abuse - at least the crap my nephew's bishop has pulled on him. I can't stand our bishop but I know he's stated that the subject is not covered in the bishopric interviews he does. He considers that between the boy and God. Maybe having a wife who's an attorney makes him more sensitive about covering things like that in a bishopric interview.

And that's another problem with Mormonism. On one hand is the bishop in our (former) ward and he's OK and on the other, in my SILs ward there is a pervert/child abuser. There's no accountability.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 01:11AM

She said that he had to sit by while the other kids his age were ordained to deacons and passed the sacrament. Her own son was put on watch because he had owned up to masturbation. As he sat there longer and longer, more and more people in the ward were becoming aware of his so-called "problem," a situation which was understandably humiliating him. I think she pulled him out or something. Anyone remember? It was an eye-opening thread.

You know, I bet that the LDS leaders masturbated as much as anyone, and probably still do (them who can physically still do it). I think they're having us on.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 08:30PM

Although it wasn't the primary reason I entered back into therapy last year, I was terrified my shrink was going to be another Mormon, as my two previous one's were members.

I gave him a little information on the cult and he was rather suprised (he thought the SD temple looked like a fairy castle). I wholeheartedly encourage any kind of information provided for therapists from clients about cults/religious upbringing. It gives them future tools to understand why so many current and ex mo's are so fucked up about sexuality.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 08:39PM

My favorite masturbation quote, by Billy Connolly IIRC:
"The first time I wanked, I thought it was fukkin' brilliant!"

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 08:46PM

Reading about the way sexually is repressed in Utard never ceases to amaze me. No wonder I'm so glad I was born into a nevermo family. O_o

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: May 13, 2011 09:16PM

I never got asked the M question as a teenager or an adult. My son did, though in his teacher' interview. After a couple days cooling off period, I went over to the bishop's house and told him that either me or my wife need to be present if he ever wants to talk to my children again.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 01:12AM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 02:43AM

What you did was educate someone on FACTS about the Mormon church. The real world needs to learn all these things....a little at a time is probably best as it is one screwed up organization and learning it all at once makes many just throw up their hands and think "NO, I can't deal with that...or I can't really believe that would be so." Well, it is so and it is pathetic.

So the reason boys say they don't want the 12 yr. old celebration is because WHY exactly. I am not clear on that. Is it after they get it they don't really want it?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 03:56AM

But you are being forced to go, turning twelve sucks. Now you are being forced to participate and pass the sacrament. The priesthood is forced on you and the forced responsibility really starts to amp up.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 04:04AM

Got it...it has to do with forced attendance.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 11:01AM

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 05:01PM

yep. my bishop recommended i (and i promise i'm not making this up) tie my hands to the bedposts at night and he called me every few days to ask me how i was doing with my "problem."

the most eye-opening, boundary-dissolving experience of my life up to that point occured when my TBM mom told me to lie about it because god didn't really care. that's what opened my mind to "what else" they might be getting wrong. i think it's safe to say much of the credit for my seeing the light was that whole experience and the fallout.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 06:15PM

I had a missionary companion who actually did tie his hands.

Your mom was right to tell you to lie. People who ask questions like the bishop did deserve to be lied to.

Stupid Mormon Church.

Posted by: bornagainagnostic ( )
Date: May 14, 2011 07:35PM

I didn't really mind the forced attendance, but rather the virtually forced participation in the administration of the sacrament. I felt trapped. I couldn't really say no, even though I wanted to, because if I did refuse to participate people would deem me "unworthy". I felt like a hypocrite, because I was doing such horrible things like masturbate during the week, and then 'bearing the vessels of the Lord' on Sunday. I was much more content at 14 and 15 cause generally teachers just set up chairs and pass out programs or close the doors during the sacrament. But 12-13 was horrible, cause the deacons have to pass the sacrament, 16-17 was even worse, cause you had to bless the sacrament.

I never wanted to do ANY of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.