Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:18PM

For those of you still fretting about how all it's all about to come crashing down around you in the form of Jesus Judgment Day, do the math. Repent, lest ye be toast:

http://www.businessinsider.com/end-of-world-may-21-2011-4

:)
____

Where, by the way, have we heard this before?

Why, from Joseph Smith himself!:

"False prophecies of Joseph Smith

"History of the Church

"Prophecy about Jesus' return within 56 years - 'President Smith then stated that the meeting had been called, because God had commanded it; and it was made known to him by vision and by the Holy Spirit. He then gave a relation of some of the circumstances attending us while journeying to Zion--our trials, sufferings; and said God had not designed all this for nothing, but He had it in remembrance yet; and it was the will of God that those who went to Zion, with a determination to lay down their lives, if necessary, should be ordained to the ministry, and go forth to prune the vineyard for the last time, for the coming of the Lord, which was nigh--even fifty-six years should wind up the scene.' ('History of the Church,' vol. 2, p. 189). See context [go to site noted below and click there for link].

"Jesus did not return within fifty-six years when 1891 arrived."

http://carm.org/false-prophecies-of-joseph-smith

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 01:32PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:25PM

But it would be lovely if something DID take the religious folks away. There would be a lot more free land available and I wouldn't feel so claustrophobic with people all around me so much. ;)

Posted by: chulotc is snarky ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:28PM

Here in phoenix there are billboards on the freeways. We're having a little "end-of-the-world" party where we will eat, drink, and be merry. Should be a nice time.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 02:34PM

This guy Harold Camping has done this before. I travel often, especially through Nevada, and when I am driving through the most remote places " Family Radio" still has signal (that's his radio ministry).

People call a lot to chide him about predicting the end before, but he says the new prophecy is "accurate".

I think it actually works for him. I mean he actually builds his following, even when he is proven false.

It is very familiar, like Steve illustrated before: People will see what they want to see, and follow who they want to follow.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 03:51PM

Bart Ehrman has a great lecture on the End of the World and skewers a few of its major proponents.

It is "24. The Prophet of the New Millennium"

http://www.archive.org/details/HistoricalJesus

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 04:11PM

It will be nice to have so much more room - of course living near the SOB's that thought they would make it and did not will be hell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.