Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 01:32PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/us/20rapture.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1

"The Haddad children of Middletown, Md., have a lot on their minds: school projects, SATs, weekend parties. And parents who believe the earth will begin to self-destruct on Saturday."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 01:34PM

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 01:54PM

I can't even comment without getting all worked up...so I'll be brief.

What is this doing to families with even younger children?

What sort of mother tells her 16 year old daughter that she doesn't think she'll be saved on Saturday?

I'd ask how STUPID these parents are, and how they're going to feel when they've shot their relationship with their children over this, but these aren't the sort of people who back up and recognize when they're wrong.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 02:22PM

and they'll tell off their parents for the abuse that's been inflicted upon them.

That said, I wonder how the parents will react come Sunday morning when they're here, hale, hearty and whole.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 04:37PM

Where the hell is CPS (Child Protective Services)? Clearly these people are danger to themselves and the well being of their offspring.

Posted by: zarahemwhat ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 07:02PM

Looks like the mother (or someone claiming to be) from the story has commented-

"I am the mother of Faith, Grace and Joseph. I would say this article paints a "less than accurate" portrait of our family relationship. I love my kids tremendously and would lay down my life for them. In no way do I believe that my daughter Grace is outside of God's ability to show mercy. Nothing is impossible with God, and I pray to Him constantly, begging for my entire family to be saved.

I am also amazed at the closed-mindedness these articles and comments illustrate. These are my beliefs:

1. There is a God, and He is perfect.
2. The Bible is the inspired word of God.
3. In studying the Bible, we are to let scripture interpret scripture.
4. Jesus is God.
5. Jesus will return.
6. We can know when Jesus will return.

From studying the Bible, we have come to the understanding, through God's mercy, that May 21, 2011 is the date of Christ's return. Knowing this, I ask you, would you continue business as usual? Yes, we are to occupy till the Lord comes and to provide for the needs of our family, but what is the most pressing need at the moment? Is it not our salvation and soul? What does it profit us if we gain the whole world and lose our soul, or the souls of our children?"

I can't relate to these people at all or understand this mindset. It is insanity. Hope her kids have a great time at that party instead of nervous hand-wringing over something that isn't coming

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 08:17PM

I think it's crazy, too, but I'm appalled at how many people on this board don't believe parents have the right to raise their children in the religion of their choice.

Try to remember this: When the world doesn't end on Saturday, what lessons these children will have learned!

1. Parents aren't always right.
2. Preachers aren't always right.
3. The Bible isn't always right.
4. Religion can be needlessly scary.

Leading them to the conclusion:

I'm not bringing up my kids this way.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:27PM

I have a good reaosn for not agreeing with you on this. If theres mroe complaints I might agree with it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.