Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 01:48PM

I very much appreciated all the well-wishes when I lost my cat two months ago. Some may remember that my mother was adamant that I could not have another cat, or even any kind of pet at all.

I guess I've just been so distraught after losing my baby, that she relented. I'm now going to be the proud Mama of a new baby kitten on June 2nd. I'm excited. I still miss my baby very much, but I hate not having a cat, so I'm looking forward to a new beginning.

The only thing is that my mother was so adamant that I couldn't have a cat, that I threw out all of my cat stuff. Now I'm hanging out at PetSmart trying to replenish all my cat supplies: scratching posts, litter box, litter, food, food and water dishes, toys, etc.

I'm annoyed because I'd built a really cool spiral staircase for my cat, so she could climb up to the ceiling and look out of my basement window, and I threw it out. Now I have to figure out a new design to build another one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2011 04:57PM by Greyfort.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 02:03PM

I'd watch your new little one like a hawk. In my suspect mind, I see your mother casually letting it outside to run away. Just a thought.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 02:04PM

Cool! Cats are the only domestic animals that domesticated themselves. Smart...or maybe not...I love cats, even the big ones.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 02:06PM

It is one of the VERY few stores in my tiny town and I have been SHOCKED at the pet stuff I have found there. I had never thought about it for dog stuff till a friend mentioned finding some nice dog clothes there. I was able to find beds, toys and a cute clothes at around 1/3 of the cost. Thing is, if you like it BUY IT right then. Once it is gone it is gone.

When your new baby comes home we need pics!!!!!

Date: May 21, 2011 04:47PM

All I've got are PetSmart and PetValu.

I'm gonna be pretty nervous about open doors for quite some time.

They did send me a photo of her: (Oops. Link didn't work. Try again.)

http://load.hostphotofree.com/97b2887931d7f21aed317f2b03d0d744/Lotus.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2011 04:56PM by Greyfort.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 05:02PM

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 05:34PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 05:53PM

She looks like a Maine Coon mix like my kitty. Good kitties, they are!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 01:29AM

There are few things that brighten your life like a new kitten! I am so happy for you!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 07:12PM

Precious...no wonder you fell in love.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 11:05PM

Looks adorable. Congratulations!

Date: May 21, 2011 05:22PM

Yeah, I'm already in love with just her picture. LOL I can't wait to bring her home on June 2nd.

Date: May 21, 2011 05:37PM

She is very distinctive and looks mega cuddlishous! Any ideas on names? How about Purrrrdition ;)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 05:45PM

Lovely tabby kitty!

Date: May 21, 2011 06:38PM

She's a Siberian. My mother has chosen her name and no matter what else we call her, my mother says she will call her Kiska, because she likes it. So I guess it's Kiska. LOL

She said a Russian cat must have a Russian name.

Date: May 21, 2011 07:35PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 07:41PM

I'm not a cat person but that baby is just adorable. It makes me want a kitten.

Date: May 21, 2011 07:49PM

We have a dog too, but dogs and cats give you different things.

Siberians are actually very dog-like in their personality.

But to me, there's nothing more soothing than cuddling with a purring cat. It's the best tranquilizer.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 08:53PM

+1

Posted by: Buddy and Tige's Mom ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 08:14PM

A lucker for many years. OMG, your Kitty baby looks like my Tiger-boy when he was just a kitten. Much happiness for you with your new little guy.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 08:45PM

Wishing you many purrfect [sorry, couldn't resist!] years together.

Date: May 21, 2011 08:48PM

LOL Thanks.

I can't wait to have a purring little cuddle friend again. I've missed my cat so much.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 10:36PM

Them that disagree can come see me and be set straight.

PS: This is going to be a great-looking adult cat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2011 10:40PM by cludgie.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: May 21, 2011 11:02PM

Loves and snuggles are what matters the most.

Date: May 21, 2011 11:57PM

Since I personally love dogs, I'll accept doggies as an answer. But not all dogs. No pugs. And no Boston terriers--especially no Boston terriers. Chihuahuas and labradoodles get 50% credit. Dachshunds get 75% credit unless cast in the "wiener dog" category, in which they get the customary 100%. You get extra credit, however, for Welsh corgis, either variety (this answer is influenced by the British Royal Family and REII's collection of the little fox-like dog). Finally, double credit for a border collie, the Einstein of dogs.

See, dogs are so complicated. Life is so much easier if you switch to cats. Cats are also wonderfully independent and self-assured, while having a dog is like living with a roommate who can never find his car keys (unless you have a border collie, who will happily keep track of even your own car keys).

PS: Stay away from Jack Russells, as they might change your computer password when you leave the house.

Date: May 21, 2011 11:33PM

I love the doggie too, but he's definitely my Mom's baby. I walk him every night though. I always get confused when I cuddle him and he doesn't purr. LOL My cat used to sleep beside my head, purring. I'd fall asleep to that sound. The silence was weird for a while.

Date: May 22, 2011 12:05AM

It was very rough indeed, and I understand what you went through. I had this male cat for 19 years and often fell asleep to his gravelly purr. I continue to tear up just thinking about him. Strange, how we can get so attached so some little non-human. When I give it serious thought, I just don't get it.

I'm happy you're getting another cat. I'm thinking of the same, but have a 16 year-old female, and I'm a bit worried about how she'll react. Maybe it would be different getting a little kitten because she could easily assert herself. What do you think?

Date: May 22, 2011 01:08AM

Awww, cludgie. Yes, I do remember. Several of us lost our babies within a very short time. It meant a lot to me that we all comforted one another. I guess that's why I wanted to share my kitten news. My Sandi will always be my baby and I will miss her dearly, but I'm clinging to the possibility of a new beginning.

I think an older cat might get a little impatient with a kitten, but you know your cat best. She is used to having another cat in the house. If it's a male kitten, she just might take him under her wing. Um, or tail? Paw? Well, you know what I mean.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 01:16AM

what a little cutie!
I am so glad you mom changed her mind, that was just mean to deny you a pet.

Date: May 22, 2011 01:24AM

I think she's actually even getting a little excited about it now herself.

Date: May 22, 2011 01:41AM

She's a purebred Siberian. Both of her parent cats are actually from Moscow. She cost me a pretty penny too, but if that's the only cat my mother was going to let me have, then I was gonna pay it, rather than be without a cat.

I'd forgotten how much prestige means to my mother, which is very unlike me. But appeal to that side of my mother, and you can have a cat. LOL

Date: May 22, 2011 01:45AM

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: May 22, 2011 01:50AM

Wait, what?

The world exists only to provide things for Savannah cats to bat around. Like your cell phone, your calf muscles, your mail and that's just the start.

Date: May 22, 2011 02:44AM

LOL She's a Siberian. It's one of the oldest cat breeds which are natural breeds, that being that they aren't manufactured from other breeds.

The reason that I'm allowed to have one is because my mother didn't react to them, as they are known to be quite hypoallergenic. Otherwise, I wouldn't be allowed to have another cat.

It helped that having a purebred kitty appealed to my mother, who really does like to feel prestigious and elegant. Left to myself, I'd have rescued a little cat from a shelter. My Sandi was born under a friend's house.

All I know, is that I wanted a cat and I'm just thrilled to be getting one again. Even though it is turning out to be a rather expensive venture. LOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.