Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: formerMormon ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 09:12PM

Even though I have lived at this address for a year and a half, none of my friends or family know where it is. So imagine my surprise to find a letter from the church asking me to confirm or deny my new address. The only people who have my address is the post office and of course various financial institutions - none of this stuff is tied to my family.

It gave me the chills but am I overreacting? Do the banks, etc, sell my information? And what about the letter - do I destroy it or send it back saying they got the wrong people? I do not want the relief society at my door with baked goods trying to lure me back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 09:15PM

The post office ratted you out.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 09:16PM

If close realtives and former neighbors refuse to rat you out, these old codgers use their computers and footmen to corner you where you live.

Sick? Yes.

Sorry to have to tell you this. Mormons think they own you forever once you've been baptized. It similar to the mafia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 09:24PM by Cheryl.

Date: May 23, 2011 09:17PM

Damn it! All I wanted was to make sure all my bills are sent to the correct place! I feel like an idiot. I think it's time i put my foot down and opt out of the church officially...

Date: May 23, 2011 09:20PM

So what about the letter? Send it back with "No on Prop H8" written with a bright, red sharpie? (Not trying to get political - it's just that I know the it gets their temple garments in a twist).

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 09:17PM

That would creep me out. I think I'd put "return to sender" on it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 23, 2011 10:32PM

You can be rid of them and have them pay the postage at the same time. Such a deal.

Posted by: loner_in_az ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 05:22PM

I don't know if this is your case or not, and it very well could have been the post office that ratted you out. However, you might also want to look at things like insurance policies or utilities accounts, etc. I tried moving once and a Mormon from my home town who was an insurance agent looked up (and shared with the church and family I was trying to avoid) my new address, even though I had changed accounts and was with a different agent.

Enough has already been said about Mormons' selective law-abiding habits when it comes to interference in our lives. I've stopped expecting them to abide by any rules.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.