Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 08:16PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 08:19PM by aliveinchrist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueskyutah ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 09:22PM

My mom resigned before I did... never told my dad but he is aware of many issues I have with the church... He once told me that he just thought it was important for his kids to have a religion. However, I found this comment too little too late as he was and is the quentsential mormon and used every power he had to get my brother and I on a mission and all his kids married in the temple. Both my parents were converts so they are not wrapped up in the whole ancestrial pioneer legacy bullshit. I feel for those who have to deal with that.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 09:47PM

My parents and I are no longer in touch...so they heard I was "falling away" second-hand through a sibling. I really don't care what they know or don't know, since they're already blacklisting me with old friends and family.

My in-laws got a 4 page letter, talking in some detail about why although I respect many aspects of the church, and am proud of my heritage, being Mormon does not work for me anymore.

Date: May 24, 2011 10:44PM

That is sad when family chooses a CORP. over a living entity...you should tell about Daymon oh goodness he wrote the book

The Book of Mammon: A Book About A Book About The Coorporation That Owns The Mormons

Here is the link http://mormonstories.org/?p=980
look up sole coporation

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 10:01PM

I just told them. My parents were happy. They were like, "Phew. Now we can tell you what we've really thought of your church."

They were supportive when I joined and even more supportive when I left. Even relieved.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 10:33PM

I'm still doing the Hinckley Dodge on that. I don't know that I've told them.

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: May 24, 2011 10:40PM

My parents came to visit and I did not hide the alcohol. Sure enough they saw it and my mom started crying. The cat was out of the bag.

Date: May 24, 2011 10:47PM

Ha ha ha ha

Why do they think alcohol is the worst I mean really?

Goodness what about the robbery of the MORG!

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 12:09AM

as I still live with them. My mom still thinks I'm going to come back. I'm sure most think that I'm some sort JackMo, when really during most of my life I was a NOM.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 07:25AM

Date: May 25, 2011 02:31PM

@ Stray Mutt

I loved your quote on how the Church works when you compared it to FB and how the team plans to win my keeping all the rules,

That is why the MORG is of no use to me. THey don't actually teach life principles. no defense, no offense.

I mean tell me how to block a hit, how to tackle something..

Just fines and fees!

Arrrgh!

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 01:29AM

That is exactly what I plan on doing! My dad is already dead and my mom isn't doing much better. However, my mom is constantly on my ass about getting my temple recommend renewed. Plus, she asks me almost every Sunday if I went to church.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 09:30AM

my marriage falling apart and they just thought I'd eventually go back. I never did. They'd approach the subject (mostly my dad--though he was not the TBM one) now and then and I'd give them a little more of my story. By the time they died, they had accepted that I was never going back. I was the one they never worried about--I was their most devout, religious child (more so than they ever were)--and I chose to leave.

After that, my dad did start telling me things that bothered him or things about his past or my grandparents' past that I had no idea about--which was very interesting--like he dared to tell me things because I wasn't such a prude any longer.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 09:30AM

When I came home from BYU, I was pretty evasive about going back to church- I stopped going about 1 month into BYU. I was doing all the things college kids do and I didn't want to deal with my ultra TBM about my choices yet.

She pulled me aside and asked if I was drinking, smoking, having sex... I confirmed and she burst into tears and cried, "But...but...you bore your testimony back in May!"
I replied, " I wanted to see if I actually believed anything about the church and if you noticed, I didn't close it with the usual 'I know this church is true' spiel."

She had a lot of denial about it for years and I think she really did believe I would come back.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 03:49PM

That was kind of a clue.

I've calmed down a bit since then.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: May 25, 2011 08:13PM

I didn't tell them. But since we were in the same ward they soon figured everything out when I stopped attending. After a couple of decades they quit trying to get me to come back.

Posted by: emmasforever ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 02:01AM

Told them with my then husband. Mom cried, dad argued, he stood by me. Though we are no longer together, I will always be gratefuul to him for that

Posted by: formerMormon ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 03:18AM

In a heated non-related argument with my dad, when I was about 19, I said, "I do not go to church anymore because I don't believe in it!"

Posted by: Kablam ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 03:27AM

I told them when I had to explain why I didn't want to get married in the temple earlier this year. They are still having a hard time with it and still don't completely get it, even after I told them I think Joseph Smith was a conman and the church is a cult.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 02:31PM

My parents knew I was not an active member or believer for years.
When I moved out and went to college in SLC,,I bailed out. Wrote the letter..interviewed,,never looked back. Parents were not concerned,,had great parents.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 04:19PM

Never told them since my dad told me in past he keeps up with our church records as he is a bishop and can keep tabs on us. Figure it gave him something interesting to read.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.