Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 04:48PM

Posting on the Monson vs. Packer thread got me thinking. To me, Packer is one of the biggest liabilites LD$ Inc has. Despite the massive fawning over him and "We love you Boyd KKK" websites on FB after the October 2010 Conference debacle, the man can be a major headache. Dallin H.Oax famously said of Packer, "You can't stage manage a grizzly bear" and I've heard there's a lot of tension behind the scenes with him. This of course isn't common knowledge to any of the sheeple. Here's what I'm trying to get at: just HOW much of a liability could he be if he made it to the hot seat? I realize he doesn't look like he's got much longer to go, but if it turned out that he ascended the throne, even for a short time, how much might he cost?
We've all seen his winning ways with the public and his inspired counsel (especially regarding intellectuals, feminists, and homosexuals *wink*) has really made a memorable and lasting impression over the years. How aware are the rest of the old white guys? Do they even care about it? Does it really matter in the long run if they take another temporary hit? My feeling is that even though Packer is a liability, in the end, I don't think he's enough of one for them to care about, unless he really costs them enough tithepayers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 04:58PM

How much have the last few profits made a difference? Hinkley made the folly on Larry King and most morgbots didn't bat an eye. If the gentiles don't like what the profit says or in BKP's case actually speak out against him, then they are justified in claiming persecution.

I don't think he would have much impact at all.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:34PM

MoLeaders are Completely Irrelavant.

Mos are 'great' at the self-talk, but few outside Morland are interested...

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:36PM

I don't think he would say anything too radical outside what he has recently said. I think there are many members who might appreciate a more hard line stance from their leaders, and I think that is why Packer fans love him. He is willing to take on the more sensitive topics.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 05:49PM

It seems to me that many NoMs are half way out the door already and Packer could provide the push they need.

I think having Packer as Prophet would cause a lot of PR damage for TSCC. Perhaps this may make recruitment more difficult leaving only the bigots as possible recruits. One place where the PR damage could have an affect is in TSCC's efforts to push an Anti-gay marriage agenda, TSCC being viewed more as a Westboro Baptist Church sort of hate church.

If there is any fallout at all, I will bet it would leave TSCC a more radically conservative fascist institution.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 05:45PM

Having Doyd Hacker as the next profit makes me need a barf bag.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 06:28PM

MJ, I think we should ALL pray for Boyd becoming the next prophet of TSCC!

Don't believe in prayer? Well, it can't do any harm in this instance. And just in case it does work, it'd be worth the small amount of effort required! ;o))

And yes, I was being ironic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 08:03PM by matt.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 08:23PM

The world, in general, has no interest and doesn't care who is their president.

Remember that Mormonism is a very, very tiny religion in the world and only has some impact in a few areas, mostly Utah. Other than that, it's inconsequential to most people.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 09:38PM

Poor guy is about to check out anyway...

Posted by: m ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 06:00PM

AIC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Poor guy is about to check out anyway...

Poor Guy?.... who you kiddin

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 05:59PM

I don't think he's a liability at all. The sheeple will follow the office of the profit no matter who it is. Plus, he's too old and senile to do anything crazy anyway. And even if he wanted and was capable, the puppet masters would never let him do anything to jeopardize the corporation's profits.

Some of us are still under the impression LDS is a church! It's a soulless money making machine and everything they do revolves around that bottom line. They will not let anything stand in the way of max $$$, not even the prophet himself.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 07:09PM

I think there would be a up surge in resignations, at least for a short while. Gays and Lesbians still in the church would definitely feel mocked (for good reason). The PR department would be burning the midnight oil, that's for sure.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: May 30, 2011 08:38PM

I remeber stories about people threatening to leave the Church if Benson became president (almost inevitable). I've never met anyone that left or knew anyone that left because of it.

Running the Church is more of group effort than many realize.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 10:11AM

I agree that morg leaders are almost totally interchangeable. Packer will probably be warned to tone down his rhetoric by the younger guys who don't want the apple cart upset before they have a chance to sit in the big chair.

I also agree that morg leaders are of absolutely no importance outside the morridor and in tiny enclaves around the US, and even tinier enclaves around the world.

TSCC is like a tiny gnat. Annoying? Yes. Important? No. Watched by the masses? Never has been, never will be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2011 10:11AM by Truthseeker.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 02:36PM

100% libility

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: May 31, 2011 03:00PM

Absolutely not a problem. He is correct and perfect for the term of his ascendency and then the next prophet reinvents the truth and no harm done.

The only prophet to whom the saints are responsible is the current one. If that man leads them astray, no guilt accrues to the sheep but to the shepherd.

Truth:

Scripture: The same yesterday, today and forever.

The Big Mo: Whatever the current sufferer of dimentia says until he changes his mind

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.