Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 09:42AM

Just in case you miss this post on the other thread, I'm reposting it here (for reference, the other thread is http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,205891 ):

bigred, you wrote: "There are numerous studies done on the subjects at hand, however, I do believe that the stats are skewed. They are not an uneducated bunch, they are very, very intelligent. They use studies done at BYU, by Catholic services, and numerous other orgs that seem reputable. The guides they have developed for delegates is vast. I have a copy of it."

Would you be willing to get your copy of the "vast" compilation of studies that are being handed out to U.N. delegates to someone like PZ Myers? If so, or if you want to discuss this, please send email to me: laststand [at] me [dot] com. PZ has the expertise to take down that house of cards.

Ditto to seekingpeace, who also used to work at the U.N.

The studies in that compilation are not science, but pseudoscience. "Very intelligent" people have hobbled their intelligence, have put their ability to discriminate between facts and confirmation bias aside. The "research" represented "rests exclusively on the misuse of statistics and on the most elementary social science sins—portraying correlations as though they were causes, ignoring mediating factors, and treating small, overlapping differences as gross and absolute...."

For example: Sharon Slater sites a “US study released in 2008” – which was actually a report authored by Benjamin Scafidi for the antigay think-tank The Institute for American Values – Slater said the “breakdown of the family” was costing American taxpayers “a staggering $112 billion every year.”

That's bogus. Let's reveal the stats and the research for what they are, tunnel vision at best, and lying at worst

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 09:51AM

....who I enjoy, by the way....I would recommend Sarah Posner or Michelle Goldberg as people to contact with such information.

These folks love to trot out Paul Cameron and Judith Reisman as scientific authorities. What a joke.

I applaud you for bringing attention to these vicious activities.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 10:09AM

PZ knows me, so it's easier for me to pass info along to him.

I agree with your other suggestions, though.

There's no need to limit the distribution of the "vast" compilation of propaganda that bigred has.

bigred, is this info in digital format, or printed matter, or both?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.