Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fifteensixty ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 01:41AM

1. Best friend told "she would be the provide bodies for three spirits assigned to her in pre-existence. She went on mission lived gospel all life. Had 3 attempts at IVF that failed.

2. Daughter 2 told that "she would become seriously ill and almost die but would be alright". Now 36 I waited for 20 years watching her every move.

3. Daughter 3 told that "she would suffer pain similar to that of the Saviour". Well holy cow, is that crucifixtion of just a really bad mental breakdown. Maybe she would be arrest and executed.

4. I was told I would have to work all my life - that one happened.

What nasties did you get? oh thats right my husband was 45 and a casual church member and he got told to get his act together and be a better example to his family and to love me more. I didnt mind the last bit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 03:05AM

To get a patriarchal blessing from Joseph Smith's father you had to pay for it. Basically it was just another Smith family money making opportunity.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 05:15AM

We got our PBs from the same Patriarch during the same year.

They were obviously boilerplate, with minor changes for names and to reflect slightly different family situations.

They sound nice at first, but they don't really give you any kind of clarity.

Basically the contents can be summarized as follows:

"You're special. You were a valiant spirit in the pre-existence. If you behave yourself, you'll be a "saviour on Mt. Zion" (whatever that means). You'll do good geneaology work and help a lot of dead people. If you behave yourself, you won't be damned to hell. If you behave yourself, you'll probably be reasonably healthy. If you get married in the temple, you'll be blessed and so will your kids to come. If you behave yourself, God will like you alotalotalot. If you don't behave yourself, Satan wil like you alotalotalot--and that's not good. The end."

That's basically it. But of course the Patriarch dresses it all up in fancy words so that it doesn't seem so silly.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 06:09AM

In my cousin's ward, all the thin girls were told they would marry and all the heavier girls were told they would go on missions.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 07:11AM

I was told that I would be influenced by the powers of the adversary, but that I would be given the power to overcome him. That came true. TSCC is the adversary, and the internet gave me the power to over come the cult.

My mother on the other hand was told in her PB that she would suffer from dementia and basically mentally incapacitated if she did not PRAY, PAY, and OBEY (more or less). Don't think my TBM mother doesn't do just that, because in her mind if she doesn't do exactly what they tell her to do - she'll go crazy - litterally.

Posted by: faboo ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 08:06AM

I noticed the men in my family had PBs that talked about how they wielded a lot of influence in the pre-existence and would someday perform amazing feats in the name of God, while the women's PBs mostly emphasized being good wives and mothers who followed their priesthood leaders, and finding a husband who's "worthy" of "taking them to the temple". (What's with that phrase anyway? Why not decide to go there together?)

Once I realized this, I became extremely depressed, which led to a long discussion of how I needed to just get over myself.

I was also paranoid that the instruction to "obey the laws of nature" was a result of the patriarch somehow "discerning" my attraction toward other women.

It eventually became less of a blessing, and more of a curse on my peace of mind! So glad I don't put any stock in that stuff anymore.

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: June 01, 2011 12:11PM

My Patriarch interviewed me beforehand and asked what I liked to do and what I wanted to do in my future. Guess what was in my Patriarchal Blessing...surprise, what we had just talked about! So inspired! Or at least inspired by what I just told him!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.