Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:30PM

There was a scene on Sunday where one of the plyg groups mentioned they believed the doctrine of multiple mortal probations (i.e, reincarnation).
I don't recall reincarnation being part of the beliefs of any of the restorationist churches. Did the writers just add this in for dramatic effect, or can anybody think of a precedence--a mormon group buying into reincarnation?
I know there's that wacko guy who claims to be Hyrom Smith, but I mean a church, not an individual fruitcake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 04:42PM

There is a funky underground doctrine based on Lecture 7 of Lectures on Faith wherein everyone will actually have to be a savior and atone for worlds of sin. That this happens sometime in a twilight zone time zone between estates of progression.

I quote the LoF #7 for the bizarreness (remember, this is Joe Smith talking):
>>>
...What situation must a person be in, in order to be saved? or what is the difference between a saved man and one who is not saved? ...what constitutes the real difference between a saved person and one not saved...where shall we find a prototype... where shall we find a saved being? for if we can find a saved being, we may ascertain, without much difficulty, what all others must be, in order to be saved - they must be like that individual or they cannot be saved: we think, that it will not be a matter of dispute, that two beings, who are unlike each other, cannot both be saved; for whatever constitutes the salvation of one, will constitute the salvation of every creature which will be saved: and if we find one saved being in all existence, we may see what all others must be, or else not be saved. We ask, then, where is the prototype? or where is the saved being? We conclude as to the answer of this question there will be no dispute among those who believe the bible, that it is Christ: all will agree in this that he is the prototype or standard of salvation, or in other words, that he is a saved being. And if we should continue our interogation, and ask how it is that he is saved, the answer would be, because he is a just and holy being; and if he were any thing different from what he is he would not be saved;

***for his salvation depends on his being precisely what he is and nothing else; for if it were possible for him to change in the least degree, so sure he would fail of salvation and lose all his dominion, power, authority and glory, which constitutes salvation***

for salvation consists in the glory, authority, majesty, power and dominion which Jehovah possesses, and in nothing else...when he shall appear we shall be like him...And any man that has this hope in him purifies himself, even as he is pure.--Why purify himself as he is pure? because, if they do not they cannot be like him.
<<<<

(emphasis added)

The point being, if you aren't exactly like the savior in all his glory and authority and majesty, you're nothing. And as such, his office is "Savior" so must everyone else who becomes saved. But since we can't do that in this life, there must be another. Then add to it that Jesus said he only did what he saw the father do (in the gospel of John somewhere) and that in D&C 76 Christ is the fathers and we belong to Christ, and folks have concluded that we will all have to submit to be saviors to the Father (Jesus) in another world, and atone like he did to attain our salvation.

Yeah, I know...

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 08:43PM

Yeah, I don't have a quote or link, but I remember reading in the discourses of BY where he said, we must all become Christs, and do the same works, and be saviors on other worlds.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:11PM

Instead of thinking "reincarnation", think of existences like elevators in a highrise building. Some get on at the bottom or basement level and only go up one floor. Then they get off and play around for a while and then get on and travel to the second floor. Some never realise that there are other floors and levels above them.
T. P. J. S. Pages 346-347 (Joseph Smith)
“Here then is eternal life- to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all the Gods have done before you, namely, by going from one small degree to another, and from a small capacity to a great one; from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation, until you attain to the resurrection of the dead, and are able to dwell in everlasting burnings, and to sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power.

JB

Posted by: Tragula ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 06:16PM

The "True and Living Church Jesus Christ of Saints of the Last Days" (TLC), headed by Jim Harmston and headquartered in Manti, Utah, believes in it.

Date: June 07, 2011 06:24PM

The idea that we must all be Saviors of worlds in order to be exalted is based on an overly literal interpretation of John 5:19, and takes that passage out of context:

"Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise."

Jesus had been accused of doing work on the Sabbath day. His response was essentially "I'm not doing anything that I haven't seen my Father do." It's like my wife telling my son to get his elbows off the table. What would he be likely to say? "I'm not doing anything that I haven't seen Dad do." Same thing. Interpreting the passage too literally makes it appear that Jesus never did anything that He hadn't seen His Father do, but that is not what He said. Some languages use the present indicative tense in situations where, in English, we might use the present progressive tense, which might carry slightly different connotations. That's all that's going on here. It's a simple matter of translation, that's all.

Date: June 07, 2011 06:33PM

All Lectures on Faith says is that we must purify ourselves as He (Jesus) is pure. It does not say that we have to be Saviors of worlds and atone for the sins of others as He did. If that were the case, then what about women? Can they be saved without being Saviors of worlds or would they be female Saviors of worlds?

Date: June 07, 2011 06:35PM

T. P. J. S. Pages 346-347 (Joseph Smith)
“Here then is eternal life- to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all the Gods have done before you, namely, by going from one small degree to another, and from a small capacity to a great one; from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation, until you attain to the resurrection of the dead, and are able to dwell in everlasting burnings, and to sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power."

I'm afraid that I don't see the connection to Multiple Mortal Probations.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 06:23PM

Preexistence, life, spirit prison, moving up the ladder of many levels from one kingdom to the next and working on supportive projects and badges to help more select spirits while striving for perfection and earning eventual god status.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 09:01PM by Cheryl.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.