Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 11:21PM

Every time I watch Sister Wives, It drives me crazy to see what Robyn is wearing. She does that most annoying thing of wearing the shirt she really wants to wear (low-cut, sleeveless, spaghetti strap) with a more modest shirt underneath it.

I know TONS of TBM women that do that! Why? Why is that done? I think it looks ridiculous! If your magical undies make it so you can't wear the shirt then don't wear it! Just having the g's on puts you into it two layers already. Why add #3? Especially in the summer!

I wanted to die in the summer with the two layers! I wouldn't have chosen to wear garments, my bra on top of those, then a short sleeved t-shirt and a tank top dress over it all.

When you're TBM, your fashion choices are severely limited. I referred to getting dressed as "putting on the uniform," because I lived in Utah and we pretty much all dressed alike. Skirt length, shorts length, sleeve length, neckline... there was always the popular jumper to mix things up.

I never considered putting more fashionable clothes on over the top because it seemed to me like a big spotlight on the fact that I'd never be in regular clothes like everyone else.

Does anyone else get annoyed by this layering thing? Do you know what the point of it is?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: June 06, 2011 11:29PM

Only the other kind of TBM's (True Believing Muslim) can get away with this kind of look, & still look kind of cool. Kolobians just look dumb & ridiculous.

Posted by: Bra-less ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 12:30AM

And an entertaining story.. Was living in New Mexico, walked my dog down to the Rio Grande wearing a camisole (French, for female wife beater) undershirt and a t-shirt over that. No bra. hate them, but am enough endowed prob should.. anyway. The dog is playing in ankle-deep water, then suddenly is gone down a deep whirlpool. I jump in, grab the scruff of his neck (his collar disappeared) and he, in turn, attempted to save me by grabbing my shirt with his teeth. We surfaced, clambered onto the bank and cought our breaths. A fellow came crashing through the brush..
"Are you ok?"
me: "yes, thanks. We're ok."
He went back through the brush. As I loaded the dog into the car he stopped his trucked and commented
"Nice tits." Yah, I was wearing a wet T shirt, I realized. Then he turned bright red and seemed suddenly afraid I'd pull a gun out or something. I had escaped death and received a compliment.
me: "Thank you." Honestly. Not sarcastic, really honestly.
We gave eachother a thumbs-up. A compliment is a compliment, and he sounded like he'd said, "Nice Toyota," not creepy at all. He looked like he couldn't believe he said what he was thinking.

I wear camisoles. I read a study about bra-straps restricting lymphatic flow from the axillary area and preventing the immune system from filtering pre-cancerous cells. Don't know if it's valid, but it works for met.

Whoever started burning the damn things in the 60's was smart. As for my mom, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I cannot gain weight and let them get bigger because I like to run sometimes. As for potential sag...I'll get there when I get there.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 12:05PM

She goes without one most of the time. Apparently, the office of the school she teaches at was getting comments about her "lack of support" so they make her wear a bra while she's at work. As for my preference, my teets are so little I need, NEED to be wearing a padded bra whenever I'm dressed.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 12:39PM

:)

Bras are not fun...!

I think I need to start a support the twins foundation and women can get lifts regularly.

now that is a good use for 10% of your income wouldn't you say!

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 01:07PM

ones....not that i wont look mind you... but i prefer the small to middlin milkies!! :)

Date: June 07, 2011 01:29PM

I have a key,

Y'all need a room?

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 01:48PM

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 05:31PM

Date: June 07, 2011 07:36PM

Okay why you gotta shut down a brother like that!

:)! you are silly

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 05:21PM

Da kine! You from Hawaii brah? :)

Date: June 07, 2011 12:35AM

Just a horn dog who figured out to get women to sleep with him.

the 4th wife is pretty cute...I mean why did she go for him?

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole!

Date: June 07, 2011 01:10PM

You're right. They are even more TBM than the TBM's themselves are. They believe the exact same things mainstream Mormons believe except they kept brother Joseph's principle alive.

Mormons like to say they are not Mormons but what are they?

Embarrassing reminders of the past that they *wish* weren't Mormons. But they are.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 01:12PM

...he has a 10 foot pole.

Date: June 07, 2011 01:22PM

Oh really!

Hmmm nope I still pass...!

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 12:36AM

How about a strapless formal gown for the prom--with a tee shirt under it?

This prepares a young women for her wedding day, when the temple matron puts long sleeves over her wedding dress, and a thick dickey thing around her neck--and the robe and sash and apron and heavy veil and hat thing.

It's all about cult control, baby!

I lived in So. Cal, and the RS women would wear long pants to a beach party in July. Pants were worn tight in those days (to be sexy for the men), and these women would wear control-top panty hose under their pants and over their garments, so the garment lines and their fat wouldn't show. Add that to the 3 layers on top--and no wonder they would act like slugs when everyone else was having fun. (Of course they wouldn't go in the water.)

I've always thought that the Mormon way of covering up the body with garments, and being ashamed of the female body, contributes to obesity in women. (Not to mention the subjugation of women as second-class citizens--but don't get me started on the polygamy thing....)

Forcing members to wear garments in the summer is downright abusive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 12:38AM by motherwhoknows.

Date: June 07, 2011 02:34AM

do they make preggers G's?

I stopped that crap...I am not sweating it out. COMMANDO!

The rebellion will cease, until it does commando!

Today I wore tights and a tunic and I was like hmmmm I not as big as I imagined wearing that white [no pun intended crap]!

SO happy to be free!

Date: June 07, 2011 01:07PM

How can you possibly think that is attractive at all? My SIL was in a non-mo wedding where the bridesmaids gowns were strapless. She got a dress made in the same fabric but with a high neckline and sleeves. I thought that looked weird, her standing there in the line with a different dress. At least she didn't stick a t-shirt underneath!!!

Date: June 07, 2011 05:24PM

Seriously. That is one of the worst fashion faux pas I've ever seen. Layering T under a formal dress. Eeghad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 05:28PM by goldenrule.

Date: June 07, 2011 02:30AM

Yeah, it when I was 9 months pregnant in the dead of summer in AZ that I said fuck the church, tossed the Gs and got comfortable :)

But seriously the layering looks awful. And do polygamists (modern ones like the Browns) even wear Gs? Do they just make their own?

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 09:49AM

Had lunch with my SIL last week and she was wearing the cutest halter top. Of course she had on a white t-shirt underneath it. *facepalm* I mean, they can't LIKE those things! As much as they believe that the G's protect them, I just know they're seething with jealousy inside that they can't wear cute clothes like the rest of us.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 11:59AM

It would be so much bettr if they tried to do it in a way that wasnt makeing so much of the fact they are 'extra modest' with cute clothes. Due to my dissabilities I wear fingrless gloves and catsutes alot. The resason is I dont like to be touched suddenly and although that dsoent stop it it means idiots dont get down to skin instantly and leave me scratching at thair greasy sticky fingermarks. It gives me a bit of control espeahsly around mormons who have no bounderies and want to just hug the blinky weather the blinky wants to be hugged or not. That dsoent mean i'll make it uggely hell no I have outfits that incorperate that style into it. Mormons seem to find this imposable because looking at thair own appearance is somehow wrong but its what they need to be hyperfocusing on in order to keep modest. The two dont go together you can do one or the other and balance is hard to get so who do you listen to? What perticuler idea do you listen to from the MOrmon church?

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 12:05PM

Of course, that's because I'm sensitive to the sun, not because I have any religiously modest beliefs. And I go out of my way to find clothes that are lightweight and breathe. Right now I have a pair of elephant-style pants that I LOVE that I'm planing to take apart and use as a pattern so I can make some more. They're really comfortable even on hot days because they're practically a split skirt, so plenty of air flow.

But my point (before I got distracted) was that it's perfectly possible to be modest AND comfortable AND attractive -- if you want to. :)

Date: June 07, 2011 01:27PM

Thanks for the link. I almost forgot about the short skirts with leggings underneath. lol

Date: June 07, 2011 04:05PM

Double YUCK YUCK UCK
Diveristy: White, White & SuperWhite!

Date: June 07, 2011 05:35PM

LOL...OMG that is so funny! But can someone explain the pimp to me?

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 05:40PM

Trying to copy Snoop Dogg in the original?

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 09:56PM

I like the layered look if done right. I'm not a rebellious, punkish 21 year old who wears white wife beaters and a black or coloured bra anymore.

Instead, I wear a brightly couloured extra-long cami under a patterned tank if it's see throough or the top of my cups show.
It's really not all that hot in the summer (I live in the freaking hot as hell desert), but I can't imagine what it would be like if you were wearing polyester garment top with long undies.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 10:03PM

You are so right about Robyn. My youngest daughter does this alot, but she does it with taste , and always looks adorable. Not every one can pull it off. She is just very beautiful, great body as well.

Interesting, I'm pretty sure my TBM daughter does it for the exact reason you describe, but do you think Robyn wears g's? They are not exactly run of the mill mormons, right?

I feel sorry for Meri, just for a lot of reasons. How would you like to be her and have some skinny little petite beauty come on in as Robyn has as wife #4. And then announce she is pregnant.

I don't think Janelle ever gets jealous. My guess is that she and Cody NEVER do the deed. What think you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 10:05PM by think4u.

Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: June 07, 2011 10:21PM

I have also wondered whether, as non-mainstream Mormons (so to speak), the Browns wear garments. And Robyn's little flowered tank over a long-sleeve shirt caught my attention in the last episode, as well. It could just be a matter of modesty dor them. (And think4u, I've had the same thought as you about Janelle and Kody.)

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 12:22AM

The day my employer demands that I wear a bra is a day I find a good lawyer. Hey, I don't even own a sleeveless anything! I live in So Cal. Damn. I'm cavewoman. Hate bras, and find ways to hide it....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.