Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 10:53AM

We have often discussed recent health benefits attributed to coffee and alcohol - both banned by the Mormon church as detrimental to one's health. Most recently, coffee has been associated with reducing prostate cancer and the benefits have been correlated with among of coffee consumed.

But there is a down side. This morning, Yahoo Health has an article listing both coffee and alcohol as contributors to various types of cancers.
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/7-everyday-products-that-are-linked-to-cancer

"7 Everyday Products That are Linked to Cancer"

"A 1991 IARC report linked drinking coffee to increased risk for bladder cancer". "two or more cups a day raises lung cancer risk by 14 percent, according to a 2010 review."

"Nearly 10 percent of cancers in men—and 3 percent in women—are sparked by drinking too much alcohol, German researchers reported in April. They calculate that in the eight European countries studied, about 54,500 cases of alcohol-related cancer, such as cancers of the upper digestive tract, colon, liver and breast (in women), would have been prevented in 2008 if women limited themselves to no more than one alcoholic drink a day and men to two drinks."

Obviously, navigating a course for good health isn't all that simple. An NPR report yesterday said that Aromasin used to treat women with breast cancer could also be used to prevent the disease. Use of the drug, however carries it own risks including an increased risk of uterine cancer as well as blood clots.
http://www.healthnews.com/Categories/Family-Health/Cancer-Drug-Not-Only-Treats-But-Aids-In-Prevention-of-Breast-Cancer

So just what is a person to do? It is a more difficult question to answer than we would like to think. As far me, I intend to try to be informed more or less and attempt to remain open to new information. Following the WOW is the antithesis of this since it requires blind faith in a formula without any investigation or evidence to support it. Coffee may be good for what ails you - but it may not be as good for everyone in every circumstance. Alcohol would fall into the same category.

In the mean time, I think there is nothing wrong with pointing out the benefits of coffee, tea, and alcohol to Mormons and ex-Mormons to emphasize that the WOW (like the LDS church itself) isn't at all what it is claimed to be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 10:57AM

There are also scientific reports that regular moderate alcohol consumption is better than abstinance.

Still, at least for Mormon's the thinking has been done...

Posted by: Emmas Flaming Sword ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 11:24AM

outlived non and moderate drinkers. It was sort of a shocker and the researchers couldn't explain the results.

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 11:26AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 11:41AM

Figure out competing research findings....
U'd be a candidate to be a PROFIT!

these ambiguities

a) Don't matter to the GAs;

b) Give them shelter if they're asked.

Posted by: isthisnameok? ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 01:30PM

Heavy drinkers out living non-drinkers and moderate drinkers? LOL, reminds me of a story I read once that suggested overweight people had a better chance of surviving a car accident than those not overweight. The study suggested the extra cushioning was the reason their internal organs were saved from sever damage. Heavy drinkers probably live longer because they are usually to drunk to drive and go places, thus reducing the likelihood they will die in a car accident LOL.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 03:04PM

Responsbile "heavy drinkers" know better than to drink and drive. I admitt, that I am a boozer ( I have cut way back) and the first rule amongst my friends and I is, Don't ever drive drunk. We view our feet as an acceptable mode of transport along with taxi's. If the pub or bar is within an acceptable distance, we will walk to it, drunk or not.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 03:06PM

Addiction to alcohol ran strongly in the maternal side of my family, so I only have O'Doul's. I only have three cups of coffee a day at the most to help my ADD, and it works. Better than medicine that makes my heart race and gives me anxiety.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.