Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olive ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 11:21PM

I never really thought about this until the other day. My SIL sent out a mass text to all the family and ended with "I couldn't ask heavenly father for a better family to spend eternity with!" I kinda laughed about this to myself, wondering if she meant to send this same text to everyone, though in all fairness I guess I'm the only non-mormon although there have been a few that have jumped or are on the verge of jumping the fence over to the dark side.

Then I thought how funny it would be if we did in fact meet and how shocked she would be that I "made it." Then it kinda dawned on me that in my version of heaven and how it would be I never really thought about my husband's family. Yeah, I imagine my husband and my son and my family and friends but not the uber-mormons that really aggravate me. Then again, if they were there I guess it wouldn't really be heaven then if they irritate me that much.

So I'm just curious for those that do believe in any type of afterlife (just for clarification I'm not trying to turn this into a thing about religion or doctine, etc.) who do you imagine are there? Do you picture any of your mormon family and friends?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 11:26PM

Most of them I don't want to see in this life - I'm hoping that the afterlife has more places to hide.

Seriously though, I think pretty much everyone is going to make it to whatever the afterlife is - but I go by a "birds of a feather flock together" version of the afterlife. You hang around people you are comfortable with or live in a neighborhood with people you like and who share your values. So some Mormons, I'd probably see but since I have very little to talk to Mormons about now, I doubt I'd live in the Mormon ghetto in heaven. Maybe just visit to see friends. Maybe.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 02:51PM

That's very universalist of you. They believe that all souls return to God. It makes a lot more sense for God to want everyone back than to create this horrible place to send your unruly children to.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 13, 2011 11:34PM

Well, there's a variation on the old joke:

St. Peter had just ushered a lapsed Catholic through the pearly gates. The saint asked the Catholic to tiptoe past a door on the right marked, "Celestial Kingdom". When the Catholic asked why they were tiptoeing, St. Peter replied, "Oh, it's just the Mormons. They think they're the only ones here."

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:01PM

Well that just made me laugh....the only ones there..I think I'd bang on a garbage can and yell..ha I made it!!!!

stormy

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:49AM

If there is an afterlife, I'll definitely seek them out. If I'm met by a 20-ft thick stainless steel electrified booby trapped wall around the Celestial Kingdom, then I'll just have to go make other friends.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:55AM

If there is an afterlife, I suspect most people will be there and we can see anyone we like. Mormons hardly have a monopoly on this even if they think they do. If there is a separation, I would guess only the most evil would be isolated. I don't want to spend eternity with Hitler or Ted Bundy, but nobody I know fits that category so I imagine we will be in the same place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 01:56AM by bona dea.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:56AM

No mormons here--I was the only one. I don't know if there's an afterlife or not. I hope there is, I want there to be. But hoping and wanting doesn't make it so.
I'd like to meet my grandmothers, and at least the one great-grandfather. I'd like to see my grandfathers again, and meet some uncles I didn't get to meet.
Most of all, I want to see my pets again. Lucy, my German Shepherd/Australian Shepherd mix, died when she was only 7.5 when she died of cancer and it broke my heart. I really wanted to die for awhile. I've got Abby now and it's good, though she is elderly now, I'm enjoying it.
Not to go on, but if there's an afterlife, I'd like to see all of those mentioned and then some.
Susan

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 02:42AM

I will see those who I loved, and who loved me. Mormonism has NOTHING to do with it.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 02:52AM

I Hope there is 'Some Justice' in life OR in death;
think about ALL the hurtful things that people have done to others; Without Thought about consequences....

Face It: We live in the ME generation/times.
If religion *incl. MoMism* could focus on the Golden Rule/Parable of Good Samaritan.... (instead of all the Silly Things they DO focus on!) that c/would CHANGE.

Afterlife? Show me the Evidence...
'Near Death'? maybe, but JUST maybe.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 03:22AM

However, life does seem like an eternity when you're around Mormons.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 05:42AM

I hope so. I love them. I just wish they wouldnt judge me as lost. And I wish they would listen to my opinions and respect them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 05:44AM by suckafoo.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 08:55AM

To guynoirprivateye

I love the life after life stories. Sites and styles abound, many are surprising to me, and it's one of my addictions to read them, can't seem to resist. Maybe it's the Kolobian background but I believe them more than profits (prophets), and it fits my belief that we continue somehow.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:11AM

All the feelings/beliefs we have about God, the afterlife, etc. are going to immediately be revised significantly when we die, within almost no time after "we" leave the body. I know it seems fashionable to imagine what someone who is Mormon or Catholic or Atheist may "think" when they realize what is what after death, but it won't matter to us then. We all have lived and labored under the shroud of ignorance, and no one has a leg up on it and no one will feel like making it a big deal "there".

You don't have to believe anything I say. It doesn't matter what we think now.

Live, love, and feel life. Peace.

Posted by: cl2zip ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:52AM

I want to see my pets. I also want to see my parents. Like others have said, mormons don't have the monopoly on life after death--their's just sucks worse than others.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:44PM

I don't know.
What I do know is that if I get banished for leaving the church and my parents get to the CK, I'm gonna ask the guy in charge why this scar on my arm qualifies them, but my worshipping God in a different church disqualifies me.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 12:54PM

If there is such a thing, I'll stipulate that they be banned from my little corner of heaven.

Posted by: Leeroy Jenkins ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:10PM

perhaps our souls simply become recycled until we reach enlightenment. And that means there's only one person in Heaven - err'body

As the Bangles once said "ooh baby do ya know what thats worth
ooh heaven is a place on earth."

Connie Willis' book "Passage" is about cells slowing down at the point of death in order to extend life on a timeframe before it's extinguished, meaning in death seconds eternity is forever, but you're still gone when you're dead, so time can still be linear even if people feel time on a different, potentially eternal scale.

And then there's Billy Pilgrim, who got unstuck in time but can only experience moments within his lifetime.

Who knows?

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 01:29PM

So it goes...

My favorite line from that book, and one that totally gives me the warm fuzzy holy ghost-y feeling: "Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

Date: June 14, 2011 01:28PM

Dear Lord/The Universe/My Own Subconscious

If there is life after death and we all go to the same afterlife, please tell me that, as a supreme creator, you have a sense of humor and will join me in mocking the faiths of those who told me I was a bad person. Light-heartedly, of course, of can we please please please make fun of their Kolobian Underbritches once they can't possibly argue that they have the one true church?

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 03:13PM

...JesusRaptorChristo, I hope NOT.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 03:27PM

For example, what if we become a big soup of energy with no individual identity? What if, presto, we were reincarnated as some other form of life? Or as inanimate objects? What if we become parts for new forms of life so what we imagine to be our self is scattered all over the universe?

Date: June 14, 2011 03:28PM

...what if we all become dog chewies????

Date: June 14, 2011 03:29PM

What if we're all Raptors??? Or black. Cause I would have loved to see the look on the pre-1978 Mormons' faces when they died and realized their souls were of African descent.

Date: June 14, 2011 04:32PM

DNA says we all came from Africa.

Date: June 14, 2011 04:36PM

I think the church has already made its stance on DNA pretty clear.

Stands for Devil's Naughty Abomination or something, I'm sure.

Date: June 14, 2011 05:27PM

Didn't Notice Athing

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.