Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:21PM

See what gays have to put up with, even in a city with full marriage equality:

http://www.metroweekly.com/news/?ak=6342

Gay couple tries to buy dinner at Safeway, called "f*ing f@ggots" by checker. Safeway responds by doing nothing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: It's Just Me ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:33PM

While I won't be marching in any gay pride parades that is pretty inexcusable behavior.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:46PM

Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:20PM

I've lived near and worked in DC for nearly 15 years, and find this shocking. Thanks for sharing the story - I've posted it on Facebook and will follow up tomorrow (I saw links to subsequent articles, but haven't read them yet - need to go to sleep now.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:37PM

Why was she not fired on the spot?! Holy shit! Her apology was so non-chalant like she didn't understand why they would be offended being called f*cking f*ggots. WTF?!?! Unbelievable. Horrible.

Posted by: Eric Erickson ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:39PM

The clerk's name is 'Deangelah' and she looks like the name suggests.

LoL at filing a complaint with the office of Human Rights..... there was no human rights violation nor even cause for civil suit. Those ladies need to toughen up.

Say farewell to freedom of speech once we let the Human Rights folk dictate legal penalties for offensive comments.

Date: June 17, 2011 09:13AM

What the cashier did is as bad as calling some a racial, ethnic, or religious slur. You can have all the ridiculous and ignorant opinions you want, but you keep your mouth shut when working and you certainly don't swear at customers!

Date: June 17, 2011 10:27AM

I can understand your point and agree to some level (if that makes me a hypocrite and a bigot, so be it), but I don't think a cashier (or other worker) has any business calling a customer ANY type of insult, true or not.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 10:52AM

Unless you are shoeless or shirtless. :)

Ron

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 02:24PM

The clerk should be fired, but that's up to the store. We can show or disgust with such behavior with boycots or whatever else.

That being said, there was no crime commited. Nobody has the right to not be offended. Sorry, we can't throw people in jail for saying awful, racist, intollerant, or rude things. If I choose to go around calling someone a @#$%&, I should expect to have my character and moral fiber called into question. Perhaps people will choose not to associate with me, thats as it should be. I should not be thrown in jail.

So long as the clerk didn't threaten, or otherwise assault the couple, there is no actionable offense for the courts. PERIOD.
Those that would seek to imprision her for her speech don't understand freedom, or rights and IMO deserve niether.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2011 02:25PM by rj.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 02:36PM

Some states have laws regarding harassment that talk about making the work place an unsafe place for certain classes of people to do business.

I think if such a law exists and it includes gays as one of the classes, a case could be made that such behavior would be a case of making a place of business an unsafe place for gays to do business.

The term "unsafe" is mine. The laws may define it differently. The laws indicate that people should be free to do business without being harassed over certain issues.

Date: June 17, 2011 03:08PM

I never said anything about imprisoning her. She should be fired, period. I've known people who have been fired for MUCH less than the cashier. Someone like her does not need to work with the public.

If people want to spew their hate, they can do so on their own time, but it is unacceptable to insult customers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2011 03:13PM by itzpapalotl.

Date: June 17, 2011 03:12PM

Confirmation of that should come by reading rj's post then mine in the order they are posted in the thread. It is clear to see that I am responding to rj's comment about "there was no crime commited"

Date: June 17, 2011 03:14PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2011 03:15PM by itzpapalotl.

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 10:51AM

Date: June 17, 2011 11:03AM

but where I am from, while they are working, an employee does not have freedom of speech. They are being payed to say what the employer wants them to say. Where I am from, employers fire people that insult customers.

That woman should have been fired.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2011 11:07AM by MJ.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 01:13PM

MJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but where I am from, while they are working, an
> employee does not have freedom of speech. They are
> being payed to say what the employer wants them to
> say. Where I am from, employers fire people that
> insult customers.
>
> That woman should have been fired.
=============================================
Amen.

Bottom Line... You do NOT insult customers, even if they drive you nuts.

Posted by: ! ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 04:53AM

I don't agree with what she said but I am amazed it was thought newsworthy.

Date: June 17, 2011 10:22AM

Okay, what the checker said to these young men is deplorable, but this:

"I've never been called a 'fag' ever in my entire life," says Harrington.." is total bullshit. I don't think you can find a gay man that hasn't been called a fag at some juncture. Hell, the gays I know even refer to one another as such from time to time.

And if you think I haven't been around gay men enough to have an opinion, think again. I own American Saddlebred horses and they compete at the same venues/events as other thoroughbred show horses. Gay men abound in that environment.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Date: June 17, 2011 02:12PM

I can not recall the last time I was called a "fag" face to face. My friends don't call each other that and it has been a very long time since anyone has had anything to say to me in person that was derogatory about being gay.

Yes, there are some anonymous cowards that have called me all sorts of names on the Internet, but that is because I am out and open on the Internet and those sort of cowards lack any legitimate way to spewing their hate.

All and all, I do think it possible for someone to have never been called a fag directly, face to face. It depends on the people one hangs with.

Date: June 17, 2011 02:23PM

Maybe you're right. We are talking Texas gays here. LOL

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 02:30PM

I suspect that there are states in the bible belt, like Mississippi and Alabama for example that have Utah beat for things like racism and homophobia. Utah definately gets and honorable mention though.

Date: June 17, 2011 02:37PM

I would say that is a good indicator of the homophobic status of Utah.

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 10:47AM

is what gay rights activists do best. Stage a rally in the parking lot of the Safeway, highlight for the world that they are gay unfriendly. Then see how long Deangelah lasts.

Date: June 17, 2011 10:48AM

Makes you wonder if d'Angela is of a minority race.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 02:25PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.