Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 10:25AM

Considering the fucking bullshit talks in the most recent GC, trying to guilt the single guys into getting married early:

http://lds.org/general-conference/2011/04/priesthood-power?lang=eng

http://lds.org/general-conference/2011/04/the-eternal-blessings-of-marriage?lang=eng

made me recall a disgusting story that Jack Weyland wrote in the September 1979 issue of the New Era that tried to glorify early marriage and the resulting poverty which could ensue:

http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Magazines/NewEra/1979.htm/new%20era%20september%201979%20.htm/fiction%20last%20of%20the%20bigtime%20spenders.htm

I was a senior in high school when this shit came out, and when my nevermo mom read the story, she rightly hit the roof. I am so glad she taught me to get a degree and have a career and marry when it was the right time for me, which I did.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 10:46AM

This, by Monson, has Paul Dunn written all over it:

"I noticed that as Elder Christiansen spoke to the bride and the groom, my couple moved a little closer together. Soon they were seated right next to one another. What pleased me is that they had both moved at about the same rate. By the end of the ceremony, my couple were sitting as close to each other as though they were the newlyweds. Each was smiling."

I call bullshit.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 01:00PM

Me too and jake said there are no tubs of popcorn...

stormy

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 11:10AM

For tender.

Wouldn't it just be fun to have a follow-up story a few years later when he's all burned out working 3 PT jobs and still trying to finish school, and she's been home with 3 kids, never smiles anymore and is getting resentful that she never gets to go anywhere or do anything?

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 11:12AM

ROTFLMAO you are so right. :-D

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 11:18AM

It's the white-knight-on-a-horse fantasy that girls are still being fed. And the guy has to enslave himself in poverty just to have sex.

As for the whisperings of the spirit, that's called hormones.

Posted by: enigma ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 12:40PM

Maybe I'm just too far removed from this stuff to think seriously about it anymore but when I read portions of the talk by Richie Scott I kept having that scene from the movie "Wayne's World" pop into my head... You know the scene where they have some guy on their show that they're interviwing and, on the side of the question que cards that face the camera, they had written:

"This man blows goats. I have proof."

I just kept imagining someone sitting on the stand behind old Richie and video bombing his talk by flashing that que card...

"This man blows goats. I have proof."

Enigma

Posted by: exmo99 ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 03:32PM

Wayne's World

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 01:21PM

It's how they make themselves feel okay about the suffering around them, and for not doing anything about it. An the nobel suffering myth is a tool to control people. "Oh, lucky you, you get to have these trials and burdens and tragedies that will make you a stronger person. If I were to somehow intervene to reduce your suffering, it would make you weaker. You don't want that, do you?"

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 01:24PM

It's one of the things I hate most about religion. The focus on how everything bad in this world is about brownie points in "heaven" (or nirvana or whatever) so no one needs to lift a finger to help others, protect the environment, whatever...

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 02:59PM

It's along the lines of thinking, "We'll protect your rights until you're born, but after that, go fuck yourself."

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: June 18, 2011 01:11PM

Do a little historical research and you will find that MOST of the 'aid' that has been given out down through the annals of history has been through religious organizations.

Sometimes posters on this board are so blinded by their liberalism that they are pathetic.

I'm not sure I have an answer for those who can't understand the concept that trials make one stronger. It's a notion that pervades all areas of life. Denying it is rather odd.

out

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 02:54PM

Monson's comment: "It is generally during these challenging times that you will grow closer together as you learn to sacrifice and to make difficult decisions."

BULL-F'ing-SHIT! It is actually generally during those challenging times that you can do nothing but fight, get depressed, take it out on your children, find a diversion--any diversion and lose your mind. Trust me, I know.

This crap makes me so angry. I will always pay for the glories of poverty because of marrying too young just to have sex. Yeah, some couples go on to do very well and some are in poverty for the rest of their lives. Especially when they marry soon after the guy's mission, have no money, no assets, no education and literally have to start from scratch. The TBM couples I see doing much better are the ones who at least waited long enough for the guy to be out of undergraduate school or close to being finished. At the very least.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 06:18PM

NormaRae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Monson's comment: "It is generally during these challenging times that you will grow closer together as you learn to sacrifice and to make difficult decisions."

Monson was a young married man in a different day and age. Salaries at the lower end of the scale have not kept up with the cost of living. A college education is insanely expensive now. It is hard to find a decent job, much less sustain a career. The long-time Mormon model is broken, but the old guys at the COB can't see it because that was not their experience.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 06:36PM

poverty the way ordinary, non-insiders do.

He has been an apostle since the age of 36, and that put him on the boards of directors of several corporations.

He was mentored by Harold B. Lee (bigtime insider in the Mormon heirarchy).

He never served on a mission.

His dad had a business for Monson to work in as a safety net.

He was a mission president at age 31.

Bigtime net tithing consumer. The Church treasury has been breastfeeding Monson throughout 90+% of his adult life.

Monson has lived his life in the bubble of security that lifetime church employment offers to hierarchy insiders. Bubble people don't really understand life outside of the bubble. Sometimes I think they don't really even understand that their carefree bubble existence is subsidized and made possible by the suffering of people who exist outside the bubble.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: June 18, 2011 12:24PM

Word!

I remember posting this on a FB status along the lines of the church hierarchy have never held a real job and are feeding at the tithing trough with no regard for the poor, jobless, homeless people who faithfully paid their tithes. As you can imagine I was livid at the thought while posting this.

One TBM had the temerity to respond that it didn't bother him at all. I don't know why I was even shocked or surprised at the response. I responded by saying how sad that his religion taught him to have zero charity and sense of fairness. He left the status thread in a huff.

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: June 18, 2011 01:14PM

Go out and have sex whenever you want to and if a pregnancy results (they do, you know, even with birth control) then abort the baby or let the mother raise it as a single parent (a situation which it the CAUSE of much parenting today.)

Mormonism is a sham, I agree, but sometimes the lengths to which people on this board go to disprove it, end up throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

out

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 04:05PM

What a schmaltzy pile of crap.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: June 09, 2011 04:11PM

This kind of advice is what I KNOW hurt me. I married relatively young, while still in school (close enough to finish, which I did...) and had my first child while in school (only weeks from finishing,thank god).

It was bad advice then and I was too brainwashed to see it. I look back on my life kinduv like someone looks back on a car crash that you are in. You remember being scared, you remember being hurt bad, and that is what you remember. I was all of that. We struggled financially, I worried alot, and things were much harder than they needed to be AND IT WAS THE FAULT OF THE LDS CHURCH FOR TEACHING IT AND ME FOR BELIEVING IT...

Posted by: 2DTOP ( )
Date: June 18, 2011 11:34AM

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: June 18, 2011 01:04PM

Monson is an idiot.

Couples who go through lots of stressful situations usually wind up DIVORCED, especially in Mormonism.

It is inevitable that most couples come to associate stressful times with their partners.

But in Mormonism, they often blame their partners' lack of righteousness for their problems instead of putting the blame where it belongs - on bad advise from their damn church.

Posted by: LCMc ( )
Date: June 18, 2011 01:42PM

Like my Momma said, when poverty comes in the door love goes out the window.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.