Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 11:57AM

Received 2 letters since resigning: one from SL and one from bishop. The one from the bishop said my name was being removed. However, no mention of my children. So, I emailed him and asked him if it was an oversight. My TBM DH has not even asked to see either letter BTW. Before the bish responded to my email, a Sunday came around, him and the DH spoke and he told my husband that he wanted to get mine done, but the "handbook" was not specific in how to handle the children and would be getting back to me. So, IMHO, I think he is back pedaling. I would think the CHI would contain this scenario. The first email I said that I would engage legal action if necessary. He rambled something off to my husband about having my kids sign their names, but they are not of legal age to sign any documents. I believe they were hoping I would not notice the name removal being singular. Why on earth do they feel they have any right to usurp my rights as a parent to my children? My husband is fully aware that their names were included. Opinions and insight please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 11:59AM

Maybe a follow up letter to Greg Dodge might help too.

By the way, if the kids aren't old enough to resign then they aren't old enough to join either -- did he think of that? :D

Date: June 28, 2011 03:33PM

Great point about their age Rebeckah.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 12:02PM

Parents, as a child's legal guardian, are allowed to sign for that child. A child is NOT required to sign a resignation letter. This bishop is an ass and should be dealt with harshly, preferably by an attorney.

Date: June 28, 2011 12:14PM

I do not think he is an ass (he is young, been a bishop less than a year, and still wants to be a friend)...he is just following orders I am sure. Their approach towards me has been extremely calculating and covert, hoping I would be as naive as I was 20 plus years ago. Thankfully I have you guys to help! I am woman...hear me roar!

Posted by: NET3H ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 02:03PM

Date: June 28, 2011 03:36PM

I would like to k ow what the CHI says, but every link given I have been unable to find it. Surely there is a section devoted to what to do when my situation happens...I am sure they are just yanking my chain, but proof would be nice.

Posted by: DNXK7 ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 03:48PM

Start a new thread asking for a link or for a copy directly e-mailed to you. IIRC, your situation is covered and you can sign for your kids. Regardless of what the stupid book says, the law is on your side. Save the kids.

Posted by: Good Luck ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 03:44PM

BP have done this to some people on this site . Say the childs must sign the letter also if Dad still a member.

Date: June 28, 2011 03:54PM

Might I ask for what purpose? Any lawyers on this board? This is effing insane to me. I can have my kids sign a damn piece of paper, that is not an issue.

Posted by: Good Luck ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 03:58PM

(LDS is nut) are your kids over 8 (read Heresy reply)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 03:49PM

is hubby TBM? why would he Go Along with this?
R U (gasp) divorcing <HOPE NOT>? or, are these yr children (from a previous relationship/marriage), not hubby's????

i don't understand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 03:50PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Date: June 28, 2011 04:04PM

No we are not divorcing and all the children are ours. After the shenagin pulled by a member of SP, I pulled my children from the church. After this incident, there was no middle ground for me. This same individual told the DH that they would need to start process to excommunicate me for joining another church. So I resigned to prevent them from marring my reputation with their disciplinary label. To be honest, I cannot stand that my husband still continues to choose the church. I will not let my children be indoctrinated against me and view me as a person in the "clutches of Satan".

Posted by: LeftForSomeTimeOFF ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 05:13PM

How does TBM DH feel? Supportive? How is that working? Does he compromise?

Are you leaving him? You seem to have the upper hand and can control him in this situation. He can sign with you now or he can watch you do it alone after a divorce.

@Heresy: does CHI say anything about one parent leaving and children or one parent staying?

Date: June 28, 2011 05:46PM

It does seem like I have the upper hand doesn't it? I do not need to justify my actions. I was playing nice and the church was not. A member of the SP should not come into my home, prepare an object lesson to be presented by my own kids pointed at their apostate mother PERIOD. My husband should have stopped him. I refuse to bow my head anymore...and believe me when I say that the church has had a detrimental effect on my kid's psyche. Bitch is not really my persona, though I have gone there a few times. ;)

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 03:53PM

Page 72, section 6.14
A minor who wishes to have his name removed from the records of the church must follow the same procedure as an adult with one exception: the written request must be signed by the minor (if over the age of 8) and by the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have legal custody of the minor.

If two or more family members want their names removed from the records of the church, they need to prepare only one written request.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 05:55PM

Say you'd appreciate help to move the process along. You and the kids HAVE already resigned. The bish isn't facing it, but Greg Dodge is used to these little hangups and will likely help you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.