Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emma ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 02:53PM

I mention it because I used to wonder this alot as a child. If a family isn't sealed and they go to the terrestial kingdom for example. Will there be armed guards there to prevent former family members from contacting each other? If you try to hug your spouse or tell them you love them, are you going to get tasered? Or will it be like a prison camp where the men and women are separated? This never made sense to me as a child. Anyone else think about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 03:05PM

I asked a similar question the other day. The whole concept of "Sealing" seems pretty silly to me. There are family members I would definitely not want to spend the rest of eternity with. Why do I need to wear a silly hat and apron and bow my head and chant to see my loved ones after I die? If there is a Heaven, I can't imagine that we're all kept in cells with only the people we were sealed to.

Posted by: newblacksheep ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 03:10PM

LOL! I had never thought about that before but now that you mention it I think it's an excellent question. It's so funny how now the mere idea seems silly to me, but I used to take the whole sealing thing very seriously. Anyway, did you ever ask anyone about it? I wonder how TBMs would try to explain that one. Probably something about how we don't really no how god will work out the details.

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 06:26PM

No I never told anyone about these kinds of thoughts. Doubts were bad and I always felt guilty about thinking stuff like this

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 03:12PM

since I decided that there is no god and there is no heaven. I refuse to "believe" in unverifiable magic and that keeps me from cluttering up my mind with nonsense.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 03:13PM

I am a nevermo and can't understand how any intelligent person could believe any of this. God putting people into categories of okay, good, best. Is the brainwashing that severe from age 2 on!!!!

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 03:15PM

I visualized each of the degrees of glory as a separate planet.

Celestial Planet People could beam themselves down to any planet

Terrestrial Planet People could beam down to Telestial, but not up.

Telestial Planet People are stuck. They only get visited when someone beams down.

But there were too many unanswered questions. If I was the only one in my family to get to the CK, how was I, alone, going to be an eternal family? If there were excess women in the CK, would some of them be "assigned" to be my wife? I don't think I would like an assigned wife.

That was years ago when I actually believed all of that stuff. Silly me. If there is a god, I don't believe that he/she/it would keep two people who were soulmates in this life apart in the next, just because they didn't dress up in silly clothes and repeat juvenile oaths and secret handshakes. If god really is omnipotent and knows all of our actions and even thoughts, why do we need passwords and handshakes?

That particular concept of a deity does not compute. Just my 2 cents...

Posted by: shonto ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 03:24PM

Now that you mention it, this doesn't make sense at all. Actually, a family who goes to the telestial kingdom will be able to spend a lot more time with each other than a family who goes to the CK. The family in the CK will be busy with their own worlds and their own spirit children.

Does anyone want to write a new "primary" song based on this new concept?

Posted by: thinking.. ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 09:53AM

I have also thought if I can not go up a kingdom to visit family and I am the only one in the terestial, I will have eternal friends right where I am at. I may know people here for a very short time yet I will make new friends there that I will know forever.So knowing someone here does not necessarily prohibit us from finding even better friends there.

Posted by: losinglisa ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 03:48PM

How did I never think of this? I guess I just worried that in the telestial kingdom I wouldn't be able to visit anyone, they would just be able to visit me. I figured they wouldn't visit very often - since people at church generally weren't very friendly to me, and I'd be all alone.

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 03:59PM

Old saying: it will be Heaven for climate, Hell for company.

Heavenly segregation sounds abominable.

And I can't figure out how "eternal families" are also supposed to be Gods of their own planets. Are families assigned to solar systems, and the family members get planets next door?

Are there family reunions? Who minds the planet while "God" and "Spouses" are attending a reunion?

Using our own solar system as an example, the planets are pretty doggone far apart. How does that compute to "Families are Forever"?

DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM...

~VOW

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 04:35PM

Well, for one thing there ain't going to be no sex, "notice the double neg." in the lower two kingdoms. There will be no motorcyles and no T.V. What in the hell are we going to do? Since we will live forever but not have eternal life I think we are up shit creek with out a paddle or a map. We can visit our loved ones below us but not above us. Of course for the first few million years we will be in mental hell because we will realize that we could have made it to the higher kingdom. After a while we will learn to live with it and then visit our loved ones that we knew for the short time span of a few years to sixty years more or less. I wonder if we will remember them after we have suffered hell for so long. Our loved ones up in the celestial kingdom will be to busy having sex and creating worlds that they won't remember who we are. We may as well face it, my brothers and sisters, friends and foes, gods and goddesses, devils and saviors, we don't have a snowballs chance in hell of being a sane person for eterinty.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 04:46PM

Not to mention your DH can be sealed to multiple wives. I've often thought about okay then if I'm sealed to my family, then my kids get married and are sealed to their kids, then their kids are sealed to their kids and on and on. So you're sealed to all these people? Is that just it, you're supposed to be one big happy family?

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 05:13PM

I thought it was because we won't recognized our loved ones unless we are sealed and make it to the CK? I seem to remember hearing we'll walk right past them and never know.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 06:58PM

Ever try to find somebody in a crowd of 14 billion people?

And of course there are guards everywhere. BYU Security, writ large.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: July 08, 2011 07:21PM

GOD IS THE GREAT HOME WRECKER:

If you don’t pay His dues, and you don’t obey His “best buddies” here on Earth, then you can’t love and be with your family after death! You must also learn his “secret code words” and “secret handshakes” or He won’t open the great Heavenly doors to you.

Just being a good, decent person isn’t enough by a long shot. God runs His Universe like a Moose Lodge...an expensive Moose Lodge. He needs your money. It only makes sense.

This is Mormonism’s view of the Ultimate Loving Father – and if you don’t like it, you can literally GO TO HELL!

Posted by: jazzer21 ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 12:23AM

have the GA's ever addressed this?

Asked my Mormon ex once "...um, I'm not sure how it works. I mean, I guess it would be nice if they could see each other but I doubt it."

Idiots.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 04:10AM

When I was an unmarried woman, the Mormon leaders promised me that if I was very, very righteous and obedient, and attended the temple regularly, I would become a "Ministering Angel".

These days, the story is that an unmarried woman will be "assigned" to a married Mormon male, as one of his wives.

Perhaps the Security Guards will be unmarried males who aren't worthy enough to be assigned wives--sort of like the eunuchs who guarded the harems of old.

Yeah, it's interesting to imagine how the Mormon God is going to prevent the lesser souls from having sex in the hereafter.... Some Mormons believe these people will be resurrected without sex organs. I picture the men and women kept separate, like they are in the temple, with "sex police" standing guard between them. Maybe they'll wear green chastity belts, instead of green aprons.

So many job opportunities in the next life!
Border Patrol (between kingdoms)
Sex Police
Visitation monitors
Trackers for all those temple ordinances done for dead people
Record-keepers
The Lie Commission
The tattoo committee
Spies (to watch every move made on Earth)
Finders of lost keys
Matchmakers to guide couples together
Chauffeurs, butlers, beauticians, maids for the dead Ga's and their wivessssses

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 09:12AM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 09:18AM

Before the missionaries came to my door, I had no fear of separation at all. It seemed logical to me, even as a child, that heaven wouldn't be heaven without my parents being there.

The Mormon church made up the idea of people needing to be sealed in order to make the temple an important goal for people. They create a fear, then sell the solution. Happens every day on TV:

Help, I can't get up!

Avoid Mayhem, buy insurance

Buy gold because dollars will be worthless

Will you be ready when SHE is ready?

On and on, ad nauseum.

Just another business doin' what business does. They don't worry about side effects and believe me, if the dollar doesn't collapse, you are not getting refund for that useless pile of yellow metal in your closet. You can't eat it and no one wants it either--everyone wants seeds, tools, and food.

Reality and responsibility are optional in marketing.

Anagrammy

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 10:28AM

"No man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith...every man and woman must have the certificate of Joseph Smith, junior, as a passport to their entrance into the mansion where God and Christ are"

- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 7, p. 289

-------------

"I tell you, Joseph holds the keys, and none of us can get into the celestial kingdom without passing by him. We have not got rid of him, but he stands there as the sentinel, holding the keys of the kingdom of God.. But I tell you, the pinch will be with those that have mingled with us, stood next to us, weighed our spirits, tried us, and proven us: there will be a pinch, in my view, to get past them. The others, perhaps, will say, If brother Joseph is satisfied with you, you may pass. If it is all right with him, it is all right with me. Then if Joseph shall say to a man, or if brother Brigham say to a man, I forgive you your sins, ‘Whosoever sins ye remit they are remitted unto them;’ if you who have suffered and felt the weight of transgression—if you have generosity enough to forgive the sinner, I will forgive him: you cannot have more generosity than I have. I have given you power to forgive sins, and when the Lord gives a gift, he does not take it back again."

- Apostle Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses, v. 6, p. 154

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: July 09, 2011 10:43AM

These quotes make it sound like horny Joe is standing at the pearly gates cherry picking more wives for himself.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.