Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 09:20AM

I was at a family reunion last week and my maternal grandparents paid us a surprize visit.

I was having a personal conversation with my grandmother. She's ultra TBM and very opinionated. She knows nothing about my status in the Church.

The reuinion took place about 20 minutes from the Mountain Meadow Massacre site. She commented on the event, and said John D Lee had nothing to do with the massacre, and that he died as a martyr. I told her that's simply not true, and in my opinion all the men who participated should have been rounded up and shot along with him. She was greatly offended. She asked me to pray about John D Lee to know that he was an innocent martyr.

Then we changed the topic to my mother. My mother is an angel, in my opinion. She's one of the kindest and most loving people I know. I told my grandmother this. She said, "Yes, your mother is one of my 'Celestial' children."

I thought it was funny she's already pegged which of her children are going to join her in the "Celestial Kingdom" and which are not.

I guess I don't have much else to say...just rambling...but I used to think my grandmother was uber-spiritual. Now I know she's just an uber-crazy TBM of the worst kind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 09:41AM

That's bizarre.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 09:43AM

Yep. I'd have been tempted to ask, so who's not making it grandma?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 09:48AM

The calling and erection is made sure!

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 09:49AM

My MIL plays favorites like that, I can only imagine what it'll be like once the grand kids are old enough to figure it out.

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 11:09AM

In my experiences, those TBM's who were so certain that they were worthy of the CK were so arrogant and self-righteous, as wells as horribly judgmental and often unfeelingly cruel, that it was difficult to imagin that they were worthy of any sort of reward - much less the CK.

There was a hymn I used to like which had a line in it that went something like, 'doing something more than dream of your mansions on high.' Situations like this with your grandmother reminds me of that hymn.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.