Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ReligionsSux ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 07:46PM

There are few things that make me wince when I am in church, and this is one of them. We have to route from our seats up to the front of the room where we receive Communion.

If we don't go up, then others will see that we are not and wonder as to why we don't go forward. It is difficult to not think what they are concluding. Short of cutting out this coming Sunday just after the pastor's sermon, I am going to get stuck going forward whether I like it or not.

I am surprised that the LDS church didn't adopt this practice. Then everyone can more fully shun those who cannot receive the sacrament.

Perhaps BKKKP will adopt this practice should he become the chief executor officer of LDSinc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 07:49PM

It makes you wonder how many times lil' Tommy Monson felt guilty about passing the sacrament as a young lad...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 07:56PM by kolobian.

Date: June 30, 2011 07:53PM

Plenty to stare at if you are a young lad. I'll check Sunday if anything wiggles on the guys. :-D

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 08:08PM

I grew up in the Roman Catholic church, and also attended Protestant services for a number of years. No one ever cared who went up for communion and who didn't. It was considered to be a matter of personal preference, not "worthiness" (in Roman Catholocism, if you make your once a year confession, you're good to go.)

I would consider your experience to be more the exception than the norm.

Date: June 30, 2011 08:29PM

one of the members was allowed to go forward. He doesn't attend very frequently and didn't know who's who in the congregation. But he made it his business in a loud voice to question the deacon as if he, as an usher has authority to stop someone from going forward.

I could give other experiences, but I won't. It just sux to have to go forward.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 08:39PM

Posted by: Devorah ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 12:29AM

oh, way tacky imo.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 12:37AM

I agree with you. No one in our Parish cares who goes to receive or not. No stink eyes given. I'm busy with my thoughts and wouldn't notice most of the time.

stormy

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 09:56AM

+1 I never felt out of place not participating. Have got to several masses. I didn't know what they were saying to the priest anyway, although I know now.

Ron

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 10:33AM

And I'd add that non-Catholics are not supposed to receive communion in Catholic churches. So members of the congregation who don't go up for communion could be non-member visitors, or they could be Catholics who for whatever reason prefer not to receive. The church's rule is that you have to receive communion once per year during "Easter season", which is from Easter Eve Vigil through Pentecost Sunday. Anything above that is optional.

I know that some Episcopal churches in the USA used to (in the good old days) require reception of Communion three times a year. They kept track because you were given a little card with your name on it and you dropped it in a plate en route to the altar. However, at the time the "three times per year" rule existed, many Episcopal parishes offered communion only once or twice a month (in somewhat similar fashion to Lutheran, Presbyterian, or Methodist services today), not every Sunday as is now the norm. So receiving three times a year could have denoted a 25% attendance rate (on Communion Sundays). Those who didn't reach three were not counted as "Active Communicants" but otherwise no penalties were assessed.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 10:29PM

Posted by: losinglisa ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 11:34PM

I ALWAYS always always get the stink-eye from the deacon and people around me because I'm violently allergic to wheat and can't take the bread part of the sacrament. I make a big show of drinking the water but by then everyone is looking away from me in case sin is contagious.

I asked my bishop if I could take wheat-free bread instead and he said that God would protect me and the wheat in the sacrament wouldn't hurt me. I haven't tested that theory because it's bullsh!t.

Posted by: GoneNative ( )
Date: June 30, 2011 11:46PM

There's a line in here somewhere about stabbing him with an EpiPen, but I just can't find it...

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 10:08AM

And thankfully, you had the sense to ignore that bishop's stupid advice! What a jerk. Obviously he had never had to deal with an allergic reaction himself.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 12:35AM

Is it a Catholic church that uses water instead of wine? Never heard that before. And I doubt God would protect you with wheat allergeries and who would want to try.

stormy

Posted by: losinglisa ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 12:41AM

Sorry I should have clarified - I'm not Catholic, I'm still going to the Mormon church to keep up appearances. I think people are just so bored in sacrament meeting that watching to see who doesn't take the bread is thrilling.

I have heard that the Catholic church doesn't budge on the wheat wafer issue either - although I'm sure it depends. Some Mormon bishops would probably let me eat wheat-free bread - but not mine.

Date: July 11, 2011 10:39AM

Stormy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it a Catholic church that uses water instead of
> wine? Never heard that before. And I doubt God
> would protect you with wheat allergeries and who
> would want to try.
>
> stormy

In both Catholic and Anglican/Episcopal churches, water is mixed with wine in a chalice and it is this mixture that is blessed or consecrated by the priest. They add just a little water to the wine and I don't know the symbolic reason why this is done. The wine still tastes like wine, not watery.

Here's a Catholic explanation:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15564a.htm

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:30PM

I would presume the water is holy water.

Funny, I just always thought it was sherry - communion wine always tasted like the stuff from the decanter my parents had in our living room.

I grew up Episcopalian. When I'd visit my Catholic grandparents, I'd always go up for communion. The priest had no problems with it. When my grandparents visited us, they'd take communion at our church as well.

/now that I'm not Christian at all, I don't partake.

Date: July 11, 2011 03:46PM

I've attended two weddings where one member of the couple was Catholic and the other was Episcopal. Both took place in Catholic churches and both were full nuptial masses. In both cases, the Episcopal member of the couple was offered communion. (both of these couples today attend Episcopal parishes and both families raised their children as Episcopalians).

I agree with you, re: receiving Catholic communion, it depends on the priest. I have also attended Catholic masses (one was a funeral, one was a mass for 8th grade school graduation) where the priest specifically announced/reminded that communion was for Catholics only...it sounded particularly unwelcoming at a funeral where people were grieving.

Posted by: Eldermalin ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:19PM

That's surprising they wouldn't make accommodations for your wheat allergy. I've been to a few wards that specifically have a tray with a slice of non-wheat bread for such individuals.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 09:50AM

you are inferring that the people that do take communion are being judgmental of you..... however ..... i dont think that to be true..... visitors are not supposed to take communion...unless they have had their first communion.... and for other reasons people dont take communion..... people may not be as judgmental as you might think!!
just sayin!

Date: July 11, 2011 10:47AM

bignevermo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you are inferring that the people that do take
> communion are being judgmental of you..... however
> ..... i dont think that to be true..... visitors
> are not supposed to take communion...unless they
> have had their first communion.... and for other
> reasons people dont take communion..... people may
> not be as judgmental as you might think!!
> just sayin!

Agree. The Catholic church practices closed communion, i.e. only members in good standing are supposed to receive. When someone remains in his or her seat, it could be that the person is a Catholic who doesn't feel like receiving, or it could be a visitor (or friend/partner of a member) who isn't a member.

Protestant communion rules vary. The Lutheran Church/Missouri Synod has closed communion--even Lutherans from other denominations are not welcome to partake. ELCA Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, and Episcopalians tend to practice open communion, i.e. all are welcome. I believe the official Episcopal rule is that one must be baptised and eligible to receive in one's own church (i.e. excludes those guilty of egregious sins), but in practice their communion is more or less open. They do have a minimum age, usually about second grade, and there is a preparation class for young children in the Sunday School. The exact age is not fixed and is based on when the pastor and the parents feel that the child can understand the significance of the ceremony.

Date: July 11, 2011 01:19PM

feeling forced to travel forward to take Communion. You can't stay in the pew because people on both sides of you need to get up front. Even if you don't want to take it, you still wander up there unless you sit on the back row near the isle where you could probably get out of the room prior to Communion being served.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:32PM

No - you exit the row and take a step back, letting everyone out. Then you return to the pew until they return.

Easiest way to avoid it is to sit at the end of a pew.

Date: July 11, 2011 03:57PM

into the pew. Either way you are either letting them out, or letting them back in. It sux.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 10:04AM

Those up on the stand in front facing the ward/congregation (the three members of the bishopric, the speakers for that day, the organist, and sometimes the choir) can see easily who is not taking the sacrament. So can members who are sitting next to the person and those in the pew behind and a little to the right or left of the person.

Not going up to the front to receive communion would be much more obvious and shaming, for sure; but there is nothing private about not taking the sacrament in the Mormon church!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 10:44AM

I chose not to do it, but other non-Catholics with me did go up.

I think this is common practice in Catholic churches where I live.

At funerals I've noticed that only about half of the attendees take communion.

Date: July 11, 2011 11:58AM

Wow, that priest is going out on a limb. The official rule is that other than Eastern Orthodox, non-members are not supposed to receive. It's in the front or back cover of every missal I've ever seen.

That said, what often is the controlling factor is the attitude of the bishop of that diocese. If he is a hard-liner and learns that a priest is giving communion to non-members, there will be a crack-down. Other bishops are more progressive and permissive.

Our (Episcopal) youth group meets quarterly with the youth group of the Catholic parish four blocks away. They do joint service projects, have pool parties, you name it. Many of the activities last past sunset on Saturday and will often culminate in a mass, either celebrated on site or in one of the churches. The kids have been receiving communion together for ten years or so and no one has kicked up a fuss.

I ought to add that official Catholic rules also forbid Catholics from receiving communion in other churches. When we have Catholic guests at our parish, some receive and some do not. Depends on whether they're old school or progressive.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 01:18PM

and PT.... did you mean other denomination or churches(other Catholic) we(our big fam damnly)...we would go to either St.Augustine or Epiphany!! so as long as it is a Catholic church any Catholic(in good standing) may partake..... unless that has changed in the last 20 years or so since i set foot in one! :)

Date: July 11, 2011 03:39PM

I meant Christians visiting from non-Catholic denominations. Of course, Catholics visiting another Catholic parish are always welcome.

The rule of thumb we are given from our (Episcopal) pastor is, if one is on vacation or a wedding or funeral guest in a Catholic church, it is ok from the Episcopal viewpoint to receive Catholic communion, though it does violate Catholic "house rules". If one is a tourist, the likelihood of anyone in the church knowing that I am not Catholic is remote (I know all the prayers, when to kneel, etc.) and reception of Communion would not offend anyone. However, when attending with friends (or as a wedding or funeral guest---where I likely know some or many of those assembled), I am more cautious re: communion in case someone who knows me feels very strongly about non-members receiving communion.

President Clinton once went to communion somewhere in West Africa. Conservative Catholic clergy in the USA had a field day, but in the end it was the bishop who served him communion who had the final say---he could have withheld communion and given a blessing instead, but he didn't.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 10:47AM

Since Mormonism is a conformity cult, it's more fitting to have the sacrament thrust upon you.

Besides, there are enough snoops and blabbermouths in the average LDS ward that it's no secret who passed the tray without partaking. I remember as a kid overhearing someone a little further down the pew whisper during the sacrament, "Brother _________ never takes the sacrament. I wonder what horrible thing he's done." Brother _________ was sitting a dozen rows or so away and still Sister Snoopy was watching, judging.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 10:48AM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 10:52AM

In the Methodist church, all are welcome to partake in communion. "Worthiness" is not part of the equation.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:42PM

I've heard that non-Catholics can get a blessing instead of Communion, at least that's what I've seen personally as I have family members who are Catholic, while I'm not.

Date: July 11, 2011 03:51PM

Correct. You cross your arms, instead of having the hands outstretched, as a sign to the priest that you wish to have a blessing. My own Episcopal parish offers the same to those who wish to participate without communion. You cross your hands and that signals the priest that you want a blessing.

In large Catholic parishes, it can be problematic because communion distribution is handled mostly by lay eucharistic ministers, who distribute communion at various points or "stations" in the sanctuary and who presumably don't give out blessings. So one would have to work one's way into a line being "serviced" by a priest or a deacon.

Most Episcopal churches still serve communion at the altar rail, with congregants kneeling or standing, and usually the priest handles the wafer, followed by a lay minister who serves the wine. Our parish is large enough that we have two priests or a priest plus a deacon at each service, so everyone wishing a blessing would have contact with clergy at the altar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 03:54PM by PtLoma.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.