Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 10:05AM

I'll start - I'm embarrassed to admit that I cross-stitched an "artwork" of the PROVO temple...of all the butt ugly temples I could have chosen. It took hours and was very elaborate. I proudly hung it on my wall for years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 10:07AM

We couldn't afford much with during our times in the church.

And someone for a wedding gift gave us a pretty picture, I think the painter was Greg Olsen?? Anyway It was nice and framed... well in a move the glue holding the frame together melted and we found out it was from a cut up calander of the paintings. I thought it was at least the print from the bookstore lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 10:09AM by searching27.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:54AM

That's an old trick gift and souvenir shops use; They will cut up postcards, old calenders, magazine pictures...to put in cheap frames.

As far as Mormon Kistch? I never really bought any, but my TBM mom like to give me lost of pictures and statues of white Jesus. OH!

I remember my YM leader gave me a fake pearl and white hankerchief to hand to my husband on my temple wedding day as a symbol of my purity. Does that count?

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 10:15AM

Ctr ring. Think about it for a sec. It may as well be fabricated and distributed by the mob.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 10:16AM

That stupid stachel in which I carried my "paid WAY too much for" gilt-edged" quad.

Ron

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 10:18AM

My ex-wife attended a Relief Society homemaking meeting where they made pioneer ladies out of Mrs. Butterworth bottles. It was one of her watershed moments in the Mormon church.

Date: July 12, 2011 10:20AM

Posted by: Elder George Carlin ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:23AM

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:28AM

My best friend in grade school was LDS (only two LDS families in the school) and our mothers were fairly friendly, to the point where we were asked to save Mrs. Butterworth bottles "for arts and crafts at church". I now know they were being used to make pioneer women.

Of course, we were never given anything quite as ridiculous as a pioneer woman doll as a thank you gift, but we were the recipient of a set of fake acrylic grapes, another RS project!! My friend's mom put them all over the house and, as a second grader, I thought that fake grapes had something to do with the beliefs of Mormonism.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:50AM

Can't you just picture it? "Dark Brown" women pioneers!!! Oh no!!!! They need to repent so they can become white and delightful just like an empty Aunt Jemimah bottle!

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:54AM

Baha. ALMOST had coffee come out of my nose. Well played, Ron. Well played.

Date: July 12, 2011 12:06PM

When I was in elementary school in Boise, those were hot items to play marbles with. Highly desirable! We used to call them "clackers." Interestingly, it was the Mormon kids who seemed to have the most of them.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 10:24AM

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 10:30AM

Plastic gold painted magyk compass er i mean Lihona.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 10:32AM

I was gifted an Angel Moroni Christmas tree topper several years ago. Never used it, but it still rests in my ornament box.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 10:51AM

WTH? I have never heard of a Moroni tree topper. That seems creepy to me.

Date: July 12, 2011 11:35AM

It's no longer offered for sale in their online catalog, but about 6-8 years ago they offered it via deseretbook.com There were no reviews of the item on the website, so several ExMoBB readers, myself included, posted fake reviews that were written in such exquisite Utahnics that no one who moderated the comments at DesBook sensed the sarcasm, and all of the reviews were posted. I wish I had saved the page as a PDF!!

actually I just googled it and it still appears on DesBook:

http://deseretbook.com/Angel-Moroni-Tree-Topper-Celestial-Creations/i/3776556

I stand corrected, we must have "reviewed" the tree topper more like ten years ago. There used to be 5-6 fake reviews, now only one of them remains, but check out the review:

"It is terrific and I plan to use it to spread the word of the Church., November 06, 1999 By Mary, WA

I just received my Tree Topper and think it is absolutely wonderful. I will be proud to display this statue on my Christmas Tree and will use it as a Missionary tool for all who come into my home this holiday season. It is worth the cost of it, and will be around my holiday home for many years to come."

The other review on the page was evidently written in all seriousness. I recall my review saying something like "a marvelous gift that tells the true meaning of Christmas. My wife is buying one for each member of her ward RS presidency". All of the fake reviews used "wonderful" or "marvelous" in the text.

Note: I think DesBook may have tinkered with the date of Mary's review (just like they cook the books on membership stats) because I didn't begin reading this board until 2000. I believe I found the tree topper on DesBook, posted the link here, and half a dozen posters decided to write seemingly genuine reviews, so over the top with LDS-speak that the censors at DesBook believed they were real, and all were posted. But 1999 is too early a date, I hadn't found this board yet.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 11:41AM by PtLoma.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:46AM

I was uncomfortable with the idea of replacing classic Christian iconography with an unmistakably Mormon symbol, particularly because Moroni HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NATIVITY. Mormons love to put their religion on constant display, as if it's a sin to have your own distinct personality and interests. You're no Mormon if there isn't a CTR sticker on your car, a BYU t-shirt over your garments, and a shitty Anglo Jesus painting on your wall.

The Angel Moroni tree topper is an odd rebranding of a Christian holiday, made stranger by the fact that Mormons profess to be Christians themselves!

Date: July 12, 2011 11:51AM

Agree. Hence the sarcasm in my review "the true meaning of Chrismas"---but the dense censors thought I was über-TBM and published it! Only one of the sarcastic reviews survives on the item webpage, but that one (by "Mary, WA") says it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 11:51AM by PtLoma.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:05AM

Carrying a small vial of Olive Oyl on my key chain in my pocket for years, until it finally evaporated.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:06AM

OMG, I was on the cross-stitch temple kick for a long time. We had so little money and it was something I could do for people that they loved and didn't cost a lot of money. I had one of the L.A. temple with our wedding date on it and did some of other temples family and friends were getting married in. I did a beautiful wedding album for my daughter out of the fabric I made her bridesmaids dresses out of with a cross-stitched Atlanta temple on the front.

Daughter is now divorced and an exmo and I think I chucked my wedding temple pic. Geez, that was a lot of time and work. I also cross-stitched all kinds of church sayings, YW emblem, pics of the monuments to women, etc. Don't know what happened to any of it. Shoulda had a yard sale or something.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:19AM

The Young Womanhood Medallion that I worked for six years to get. It was cheap rubbish.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:28AM

Do not own it myself, but on a friend's wall prominently displayed and elaborately framed, that nausating Proclamation of the Family.

Date: July 12, 2011 11:35AM

I have that etched (burned?) on a wood plaque. My problem is do I give it to someone who still believes or do I throw it in the trash? Not really appealing to me to give it away and help keep the facade alive. I have found 3 or 4 blue BOM too. Do not want to donate for same reason.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 12:03PM

This is one of the stories in my autobiographical collection.

The Relief Society Homemaking Project- decorated waste baskets from ice cream barrels, early 1960's 37th Married Student Ward, on BYU campus.

One of the many Relief Society Homemaking projects that I will never forget involved ice cream barrels that we procured from the local ice cream stores in Provo, UT in the 60's.

Some of us would call the ice cream shops and pick them up before they were thrown out. Then we would wash them and dry them.

Then, we would decorate them in Relief Society Homemaking Meeting in the basement of one of the Wymount Terrace buildings on campus.

I remember putting all kinds of items on them: tiny pom-pom balls, rick-rack and covering them in cloth or wall paper! We were recycling even back then!

One Christmas, as very poor students, I decorated one waste paper basket for my mother and one for my mother in law as presents and managed to get them in our little car and drive them all the way to Portland, Oregon.

The one I gave to my mother was kept by her favorite over-stuffed chair in the living room. Mother had polio many years before and suffered many strokes. She spent a lot of time in her favorite chair next to her small bookcase reading, watching TV, doing crossword puzzles, and napping.

Mother loved her dogs. She had a little white cock-a-poo-mix, called "Cookie" that never left her side and used to sit by her on the wide arm of her large chair.

"Cookie" got old and a little blind and would often sleep on the arm of that chair with Mother. Most days both of them fell asleep in the chair.

One day, when I called home, I asked about her little dog "Cookie." Mother told me that "Cookie" died. "She is pretty old," I said, "I guess it was her time."

"Well, mother said, "Cookie fell into the waste basket and broke her neck!" I gasped! "The waste basket?" I asked. "Yes," she said, "you remember the one you made me for Christmas a long time ago?"

I have never been sure whether "Cookie" died on the arm of the chair and fell off or fell off in her sleep and the waste basket broke her neck and she died.

Either way, that little decorated ice cream barrel is forever associated with the death of "Cookie" and a Relief Society Project of recycling by very poor students at Christmas time!

Ahh, the days of Relief Society Projects!

Date: July 12, 2011 12:10PM

Baskin Robbins ice cream always set out their empty ice cream barrels (washed/dried) in the lobby for free. They had a poster on the wall stating that the bins were free for the taking, and suggesting that they be covered with wallpaper (to match the walls) to make lovely wastebaskets for kids' rooms. Quite often, there would be no empties left, and I couldn't believe THAT many people were taking them home to cover with wallpaper. I wonder if the local RS cleaned them out!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 12:11PM by PtLoma.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 12:16PM

PtLoma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Baskin Robbins ice cream always set out their
> empty ice cream barrels (washed/dried) in the
> lobby for free. They had a poster on the wall
> stating that the bins were free for the taking,
> and suggesting that they be covered with wallpaper
> (to match the walls) to make lovely wastebaskets
> for kids' rooms. Quite often, there would be no
> empties left, and I couldn't believe THAT many
> people were taking them home to cover with
> wallpaper. I wonder if the local RS cleaned them
> out!!!

We had to make arrangements to pick them up before they were thrown away when we lived in Provo in the 60's. They were washed, but we cleaned them out better when we got them home.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 12:08PM

I don't know where I got it, and I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten rid of it yet. I'll probably keep it :)

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 12:15PM

a picture of Jesus in our bedroom
and
a picture of Joe Smith praying in the super sacred grove in our home office.
and
in our curio cabinet, a little statue of Jesus praying.

No stupid temples.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 12:17PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 12:29PM

I once did a Relief Society project where you gold leaf was put over the cheapy temple pictures from the destribution center. Very tasteful and beautiful. Not.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 12:33PM

What about a Santa sliegh centerpiece made from a gold sprayed turkey carcus?

Or the Xmas tree ornament angels made of tampons?

Date: July 12, 2011 12:38PM

please tell me the tampon angel and carcus Santa Sleigh are in jest :)

Date: July 12, 2011 12:51PM

These are from stories that have been told over the years of Mormon "crafts." The tampon angel craft may have been a clever website lampooning Mormon crafts though. It's hard to tell. Poe's Law.

Date: July 12, 2011 12:53PM

Wow... I am surprised, yet somehow not. However thoroughly entertained :)

Date: July 12, 2011 12:42PM

This made me think of some of the Christmas decorations my mom had. She had this real pretty angel made out of a Reader's Digest book.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.