Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 07:41PM

Mormons had not been pressured to abandon polygamy?

Modern Mormons as always quick to point out that it is no longer practiced. I can't help but wonder how the church would have evolved if the practice had been allowed to continue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 07:45PM

What I need explained is why is D&C 132 still considered inspired scripture? Why wasn't it removed when the Manifesto banning polygamy was announced? To me, this indicates they still believe in it, but not until after we die, and that they abandoned polygamy here on earth because they were being highly persecuted for it. It is also my understanding some temple marriages to additional wives were still performed in secret after the Manifesto. The only thing I can conclude is that they do believe in polygamy but not on earth, but it is not an advertised doctrine for good reason. If I am wrong, someone please speak up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 07:45PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: GoneNative ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 07:53PM

It was still performed after the manifesto, which is way the official declaration was released. S'all I know.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 08:02PM

suckafoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I need explained is why is D&C 132 still
> considered inspired scripture? Why wasn't it
> removed when the Manifesto banning polygamy was
> announced? To me, this indicates they still
> believe in it, but not until after we die, and
> that they abandoned polygamy here on earth because
> they were being highly persecuted for it. It is
> also my understanding some temple marriages to
> additional wives were still performed in secret
> after the Manifesto. The only thing I can
> conclude is that they do believe in polygamy but
> not on earth, but it is not an advertised doctrine
> for good reason. If I am wrong, someone please
> speak up.

It was not removed because it is still considered doctrine, but one that they are not required to live right now. Because they are not required to live it now they don't talk about it now.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 09:09PM

Not only are they not required to live it, they are not allowed to live it. I don't buy it for a minute that they dont talk about it because they arent required to live it. They dont speak of it because it is embarrassing and disturbing and not faith promoting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 09:10PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 08:21PM

This question occurred to me when I was watching a program about FLDS polygamists. I wondered if the church had not disavowed the practice, perhaps even though it was not illegal, people would not have been so quick to join and it would have evolved as a fringe group as the FLDS did.

By abandoning the practice, even though it was forced upon them, it gave them an air of legitimacy that allowed its growth.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 13, 2011 08:23PM

They do still practice polygamy. They are the FLDS of course.

I'm guessing if the mainstream church had continued with it there would be a lot more kids and lost boys than there are there today. Polygamists are serious breeders.

The welfare system would have quite a job if mainstream Mormons were bleeding the beast like the FLDS often do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.