Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lonely ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 11:10AM

hi!

I just moved a week ago to a brand new town and away from family and friends. I am thankful for my new job however I am so LONELY. I long to talk to someone.

I think about calling missionaries and go to the mormon church just to have someone to talk to. If mormons are good at anything it is friendship. I know it would be a fake friendship but for right now I wish I had someone.

I am not really an outgoing person so meeting people will be hard to do. I feel really silly posting here but I just don't know why I want to go back top the church. I know it ruined my life in some ways but at least I wouldn't be lonely :(

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 11:20AM

Don't feel silly posting here. That's what this board is for.

Post away and post your story. It's much better than going to church any time.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 11:22AM

I feel that some people are comfortable in a church or group setting. Don't see no problem to be around a group of friendly mormons. Not all of them are jerks and controling. Just be careful what you tell them and remember what they represent.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 11:22AM

It's a part of adulthood. It's not pleasant to be someplace where you don't have family and friends, and the adjustment period can be tough.

How large is your town? Are you in a heavily Mormon area? If so, I can understand why you feel the way that you do. Even so, you have to remember that many, perhaps most Mormon friendships are conditional -- conditional on you staying in the church. Is that really what you want?

Are there other churches in your area? Check your local newspaper for club meetings. If there is a Sierra Club in your area, they organize hikes and other excursions (your local outdoors/mountaineering shop will likely know.) Often there are singles groups that get together for activities. Consider volunteering for Habitat for Humanity or your local animal shelter. Animal shelters need dog walkers, and this is a great way to meet people. Check this board and PostMo for exmo meetups. Take a noncredit class (cooking, art, foreign language, etc.) at your local community college. Invite coworkers to go to lunch with you or out after work. Take up golf or skiing -- both are a great way to meet people.

These are just some ideas to get you started. They will all take initiative on your part. Remember -- even *one* good friend will help you to feel settled into a new place.

Also -- don't be afraid to go out by yourself. I think it's critical that singles get out of the house even if no one else is available. Take yourself out to a movie matinee (it will feel strange at first, but soon you'll think nothing of it.) Get a guidebook for your area at a bookstore or library and go be a tourist in your own town. Pick someplace scenic, or a neighborhood with interesting real estate, and take yourself out for a Sunday drive. Look for free concerts in your area. Go out to a decent restaurant for lunch or dinner (take a book, newspaper, or iPad with you,) or hit the restaurant bar in the late afternoon for a cocktail. Sit at a patio table and watch the world go by. Go to your local airport and watch planes take off and land. Hit a bookstore, or a used bookstore. Etc.!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2011 12:18PM by summer.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 11:29AM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 11:25AM

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 11:36AM

Post away and you may accidentally find exmos in your area you can hang out with. Much more friendly than any mo and more enjoyable as you can sit back on Sunday and share a beer, coffee, tea, whatever your pleasure is and not have to waste 3 hours in church.

Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 11:54AM

Hi Lonely,

Feeling lonely is destructive, so I'm glad that you posted. It's one way to connect with others, even if we're not there in person. I have a few suggestions.

First, as weird as this will sound, learn something about loneliness--its causes and consequences. I suggest getting this book:

Loneliness: Human Nature and the Need for Social Connection
John T. Cacioppo, William Patrick

Some people need to be around others, whereas other people are perfectly happy to be alone, and yet they're not lonely. It's the feeling of loneliness that's highly toxic, so it's important, I think, to understand the mechanisms behind loneliness and how they work so that you can act to prevent yourself from being harmed.

Let me give you a quick rundown of my own life as an introvert who generally doesn't feel lonely. I own a company, which (in a massive irony, because company CEO's are usually extraverted) finds me surrounded by people--both face-to-face and online. I also go to school. This surrounds me with people that I have to work with nearly all the time. Most of the time I wish that I could get away from them and be alone. :) And when I'm not doing work for my company or for school, I have a bunch of friends to hang out with, although I rarely find that terribly satisfying because you can't "do" philosophy in groups, generally, and that's where my mind is much of the time.

But before you think that I don't even know what loneliness feels like, I promise that I do. I, too, moved away to a brand new town far away from family and friends for a job. I had an amazing apartment, and it was a highly desirable city to live in, but I didn't know anyone, and the last place that I wanted to be was in my apartment to feel the full brunt of loneliness that hung over me all the time when I wasn't working. Nothing accentuates the pain of loneliness more than when you're physically alone, I think.

In the two years that I was there, I made friends at work, but all of them were older than me and they were working professionals. I was always the young fellow who didn't feel like he fit in anywhere. Being gay didn't help, not that anyone would have guessed it, but internally, I knew that I wouldn't be looking for girls to date. If I had had that option, I think life would have been a lot less lonely and a lot more interesting. But because that wasn't a viable route, I wound up spending most of my time working, spending very little time in my apartment, and generally hanging out (alone, but not lonely) in bookstores. It was enough for me to be around other people without having to put on a social performance. The pain came back as soon as I found myself back in my apartment.

It was worst during the weekends. Suddenly, I had two and a half full days to myself, with nothing to do. Yes, I could go to various bookstores (something that I really love doing), or walk around the (very, very large, and equally liberal) university that was 20 minutes away from my apartment, but I didn't feel completely part of that world. I wasn't a student there.

What I noticed--and this has subsequently been confirmed by some very smart people I know who have felt lonely themselves--is that we tend to meet and make friends among those with whom we have the most frequent contact. For most people, this means work. For others, it means school. There's a reason that people say that happiness is found in love and work. That's where the people that are part of our lives are!

I think that if you wait for a while, you'll become friends with people at work. Whether or not that'll be satisfying depends on a lot of things that you can't predict, but it's a start. I understand the temptation to go to the church to have someone to talk to, but even if you do that, you'd still need time to get to know others. Sure, the process could be fun, but there's a significant downside. Unless you enjoy being part of the Mormon culture, it won't work.

But there are other options. What do you like doing? Would you feel comfortable attending a UU church just once, on your own? How about researching what clubs there are in your town? I've been a member of tennis and chess clubs in the past, and I'll do so again when I can find the time. The way to meet people is through frequent exposure, so any organization that enables you to frequently see people whom you'd like to be friends with could be your catalyst.

The challenge with this is that even if you're successful in meeting a best friend, that would just be one person. Yes, they could lead you to others, but I think what you really need is a support network, which is broader than just a single friend, or a collection of one-on-one friendships. You want to feel comfortable, valued, and confident within a community that not only accepts, but embraces and welcomes you. That's the intuitive appeal that the Mormon Church has, isn't it? You understand it. It's comfortable. You know the culture. You know what to expect. It feels safe. It can meet your very real needs. And at this point, you're hurting enough to risk it, despite the downside.

There is no right or wrong answer, and there are lots of strategies to try. It's perfectly fine to go to the ward. In fact, it might not be a bad idea. It may help, and you can stop going whenever you like. (Just be sure that you can say, "No.") You could also date. Look for people on match.com or any number of other sites. Just be careful.

Maybe...maybe the answer is to find a community that you can fit into and thrive in first, and then find friends within it. Right now, you're both alone and lonely. Once you're no longer alone, the probability of being lonely will hopefully be greatly reduced.

You need to build a support structure around yourself, and this will take time. Depending on how much you're hurting, the Church could offer a temporary reprieve, and wouldn't necessarily be a terrible option, so long as you went into it with your eyes wide open and didn't kid yourself about the downside. But there are many other options, and I hope that I've hit on some of them.

There isn't a single, magical bullet. Maybe it'll turn out that your job isn't what you need it to be, and that the town you're in isn't the right place for you. Give it a chance first. Seriously, reading the book that I mentioned will help you to understand what's causing and reinforcing your loneliness, so that you can create a plan to get you to a better future.

I know that that sounds awfully cerebral, especially when we see others around us who seem as if they could be parachuted into a random town at noon and have a dozen friends by dusk. But we have to start with knowledge about ourselves. we're introverts. Life works differently for us, through no fault of our own. We have to work with how we've been wired.

When you're lonely, it clouds and distorts all areas of life, a lot like depression. You can't escape yourself. And since you can't really change yourself, either, the trick is to find a nurturing environment. Temporarily, it could be a Mormon ward. Or a UU church. Or clubs. Or the people that you meet at work. Ultimately, it's going to need to be a community.

Lonely, where do you fit in?

Steve

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 12:31PM

I can't tell you how often I've read this story before.

Please try to be patient. Sign up for one or two activities in your area. There are probably community cooking and exercise classes and groups for those who like to read, hike, bike, collect stamps, bird watch, anything you like to do but didn't have time as a mormon. If you're interested, check a local church each week as a matter of education if nothing else.

You might not make friends immediately but at least you'll be out of the house seeing other people and chatting here and there.

Seriously, outing yourself to the local mormons means you're opening yourself up for possibly years of harassment and you're not using your new freedom in a way that will help you most in the long run.

It can take a long time to make good friends, but it's worth the effort and patience. In the meantime, get out of the house every day. It will make you feel better even it's only for a walk around the block or to window shop at the mall.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 03:00PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seriously, outing yourself to the local mormons
> means you're opening yourself up for possibly
> years of harassment and you're not using your new
> freedom in a way that will help you most in the
> long run.

And seriously, Steve's observations are right on -- we make friends with the people we hang out with. Fundamentally you are not likely to make real friends with mormons. There are a few exceptions I know but generally relationships in mormonism are all conditional. Mormonism does not create friends, only fans of mormonism.

You will undoubtedly get a "support network" when you show up and it will have all the look and feel of real interest and real connection. But then the unmistakeable agenda surfaces, and once you have met numerous very happy people, very happy to find out all about you, you will find out that all the "interest" has become leverage. "Oh, you are a school teacher, well that will be very useful in your new calling in the sunday school."

Inevitably your "relationships" and your existence will be tested. "OK we have been nice to you and welcomed you. NOW its time for you to cover your check for this unspoken bargain." Time for you to support the church, bear your testimony, pay your money, give your time, feel the guilt, hate our enemies, etc, etc.

You probably already know that if payment comes due and you decline to serve and refuse to publicly say "the Words" you will be marginalized and and your so-called friendships will disappear as fast as Mayan dioramas at the temple visitor center!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 03:23PM

There are so many places to meet people. Join a club - whatever you like to do. Book club, whatever. Take a class. Go to a swimming pool and get in some exercise. Get into an early-morning mall walking group. Volunteer somewhere. Church isn't the only place to meet people.

Posted by: fatuesday ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 03:38PM

have they got rid of those mayan dioramas in the visitors' centre?

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 06:07PM

fatuesday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> have they got rid of those mayan dioramas in the
> visitors' centre?

Not to hijack, but TSCC is running away from association with ancient american cultures as fast as it can. When once it was common to find articles such as "Four Peruvian Versions of the White God Legends" or "Chiasmus in Mayan Texts", in current manuals the mentions have disappeared. The feature length movie at the Joseph Smith Building used to be a dramatization of the third nephi story done in complete Mayan costume and sets. I'll bet this movie isn't even available to obtain anywhere.

Posted by: lonely ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 07:07PM

Thank you all for the suggestions :)

Posted by: Mårv Fråndsen ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 07:24PM

Puh-leez. If you must go to a church, why the Mormons of all people. How self destructive can you get. Why not just sign up with scientology and really get down and dirty.

There are a gazillion churches out there just happy as hell to get a new member. Many are much more healthy than going back to the Mormons. Some of them are even nice. I'd recommend a good liberal Protestant denomination. I have a special fondness for Unitarian-Universalists (after every service you get to drink *coffee* and *talk* to people, and there are no dogmatic belief requirements).

Beyond that as others have mentioned JOIN A CLUB in which you have interest. Join several. Run around. You get to know people who you do things with and with whom you share interests.

Presuming you are single there are single social clubs filled with single people looking for friends (and a good time).

Get your Google going and Meet Up with the real people in your community and make friends. Don't stay stuck in the pathetic and dysfunctional little tiny Mormon box.

If you are smart enough to see out of the Mormon box then be smart enough to get out of the Mormon box.

Best of luck.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 07:58PM

Fake friends are not better than no friends just as bon-bons are no substitute for a balanced meal. You may be hungry, but bon-bons will just make you sick.

Start with what you like to do. Tennis? Skating? Swimming? Yoga? Bicycling? Find out where people are doing whatever sport you like in your community and go there.

Like animals? Get a dog/bird/rat/cat/fish and sign up for training classes and walk your pet. Dogs are legendary as a great vehicle for meeting people and getting you out of the house without an ipod.

Like music? Pick an instrument you like to hear and take some classes, learn to play. You'll meet other people.

Classes. Take adult classes in a topic you enjoy, say the Civil War. There will be people there planning a trip to a CW reinactment, you can count on it. From french braiding to truck painting, there are people getting together who like the same thing you like.

A Language? People studying a new language are meeting in coffee shops right now practicing with each other and planning a low -cost trip to a foreign country. My daughter started studying Italian online, has a coffee-shop bunch that are cheering for her while she tours Italy.

She could be sitting home bitching online about politics. Speaking of that--don't be wasting hours online. We are here for support, but you need real relationships with breathing people. Some folks who end up seriously depressed are active on many forums but have few friends.

Good Luck

ANagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.