Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CuriousJack ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 09:25PM

A few weeks ago an active brother in our ward was told he could not perform the baptism of his friend because his temple recommend was not current! I thought to myself, WTF is going on here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 09:30PM

I was invited to stand in the circle for a baby of the wife's brother in a neighboring ward. When I heard that temple recommend holders only could participate, I showed up, but didn't go up front. And believe it or not the bishop actually checked TR's right there on the stand in front of everyone. Control, control, control...and guilt and embarrassment.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 09:32PM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 09:34PM

Now that is just unbelievable and mainstream Christians would be appalled. I sure am. This is the type of stuff they don't know anything about. It is shockingly rude, arrogant and all to show people that you must do this and this to be really "special" in their eyes. So Christlike.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 11:11PM

I was invited by my BIL to stand in the circle for the blessing of his daughter just two weeks ago, and I DID!

Then again, he probably doesn't know that I'm no longer a believer, and nobody else in his ward knew anything about me. But the other family members were probably lifting a metaphorical eyebrow.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 09:36PM

A few weeks ago I predicted on here that to increase revenue, one of the things the Morg would do would be to move baby blessings and baptisms to the temple, to force members to be current tithe payers, just like attending a wedding.

This looks like an intervening step. Pay if you want to participate. The next step will be to move these to the temple so you have to pay to watch.

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 01:22AM

I actually might not mind that. It would get me out of going to all those boring baby blessings and baptisms.

Posted by: Angry Zombie ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 01:37AM

+1

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 09:40PM

in your own children's rites of passage, you better do whatever you are told.

Posted by: surfinitup ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 12:06AM

Heresy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> in your own children's rites of passage, you
> better do whatever you are told.

Well, technically, first you have to be a man. Then you can worry about jumping through the hoops.

Women don't have the right equipment to participate in their own children's rites of passage.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 12:12AM

I am a nevermo and I hear the women sit in the pew. How terrible. That would never fly in a mainstream Christian church....What an insult....another example of the farce the Mormons are trying-to become mainstream. Won't happen.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 09:52PM

16.1 General Policies
16.1.1 Worthiness to participate in an ordinance or blessing
Only a Melchizedek Priesthood holder who is worthy to hold a temple recommend may act as voice in confirming a person a member of the Church, conferring the Melchizedek Priesthood, ordaining a person to an office in that priesthood, or setting apart a person to service in a Church calling.
16.2 Naming and Blessing Children
16.2.1 General Guidelines
"Every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name" (D&C 20:70). In conformity with this revelation, only Melchizedek Priesthood holders may participate in naming and blessing children. Priesthood leaders should inform members of this instruction before their children are named and blessed. While preserving the sacred nature of the blessing, leaders should make every reasonable effort to avoid embarrassment or offense to individuals or families.
<end quote>

From the CHI part 2, online, it says only a priesthood holder when talking about baptisms:
http://lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/priesthood-ordinances-and-blessings?lang=eng#203

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2011 10:01PM by Heresy.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 10:26PM

So the TR applies to baptisms, but not to baby blessings, and that asshat bishop was out of line, and in the worst possible way. I can not believe he was checking recommends ON THE STAND IN FRONT OF EVERYONE. My ex, TBM though he might be, would have ripped him a new one for that.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 11:04PM

Once again, you see the difference from state to state, ward to ward. Particularly, since being 'inspired by the spirit'is a belief.
People make up rule and interpret them as they 'feel' is correct.

I suspect the bishop in my local ward is extremely liberal,when on member who is mentally ill cam in to SM in pj's, I said, bless her heart, she made it to church. I didn't know the Bishop was right behind me, but he chuckled and said, exactly sister.

I still think the who organisation is bat sh*t crazy, but some of the people I have met have been good examples and truly wonderful people.

There are others though....

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 11:06PM

I baptized my little brother when I was 16, and I didn't even know that my parents' underwear was sacred yet!

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 01:21AM

The cult wants the members' money.

When will TBMs wise up?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 04:17PM

Surprised at this policy...but is bouncing the baby up and down by the men in the blessing circle still an accepted part of the ritual?

Posted by: wjexmo ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 10:28PM

This is a new policy is it not? A new way to extort money from any member who doesn't want to be humiliated in front of family. What a shameful tactic.

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 10:29PM

WHAT????

According to church doctrine, any priest can baptize....and most priests are NOT endowed.

I think that this new false doctrine is so obviously false that it will cause an uproar!

When are people going to start revolting about these dictatorial and horrifying pronouncements from the committees that run this church?

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 10:53PM

The membership does not read the Bom, D&C,PGP, or the Bible. They blindly follow the leadership and do what the brethern tell them.

Sheep.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 10:49PM

wasn't allowed to baptize his daughter because he wasn't a full-tithe payer. At least that bishop was honest about what was important to them instead of hiding it in the "temple recommend" excuse.

As others have said, individual experiences will vary according [the inspiration of] the local bishop, et al.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.