Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: neverconverted ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 07:36PM

My daughter's friend spent the night last night. I was getting ready to go to church (not LDS) and asked the girls if they wanted to go. They said no, oh well, my daughter's friend said that her mom, recently divorced, was joining the Mormon Church and was going to be baptised on the 23rd of this month.

I don't know this mom personally, and didn't ask why she was choosing the Mormon church. I don't know if she is dating someone that is Mormon or not. That's beside the point.

I told her that I know people that have been in the Church, either by choice, or born into it, that have left for very sound reasons. She agreed with me that it was a cult.

I told her that I would get together some information for her to give her mom that might help her make an informed decision before joining the Church.

1. How can we be sure her Mom takes a look at it?

2. Should I ask to meet with her Mom?

3. Should I call her Mom on the Phone?

4. Should I just not get involved, and let this Mom figure it out for herself.

I need specific information that will spark her when she reads about the topics or questions to ask her Mormon friends. I know she will be told it is anti-mo stuff and to ignore it.

Also, is the Bible part of the standard works, or approved scriptures in the LDS church?

Have I made any sense?

What are the most important topics to address?

Thanks for your help and best advice. Where else would I go other than to you guy's who have been there done that.

Steve Benson, where can I find your great research. I know you probably have something that will help too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 07:57PM

Since you do not know this woman, I would be very hesitant to say anything. How would you feel if a stranger came out of the blue and started telling you that you were making a huge mistake? If you are very gentle and demonstrate that you have some concerns you wanted to share, it might be all right, but chances are she will feel very defensive and wonder why you, a stranger, are butting into this very personal decision.

I think it is all right to give the daughter the information if she has asked for it, but I don't think I would contact the mom. I would also be prepared for a backlash. Again, how would you feel if someone was giving information to your minor daughter that you felt was critical or offensive?

Tread lightly.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 08:26PM

I wish there was some way you could put her in touch with 'deb' on this board. She was in this same position a few months ago, and saved herself just in time...

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 08:29PM

Maybe have her daughter tell her that you have some information if she is interested and let her take it from there. It is really the woman's decision and since you don't even know her, I would be careful.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 09:51PM

You could offer to share your experience in Mormonism with her, if she's interested - but if she doesn't want to hear it, there's probably nothing you could say to change her mind. People get to make their own choices. You could tell the daughter that you have some information that the mom won't get from the missionaries, and maybe her mom would want to look at it so that she can make an informed decision. Then it's up to the mom to decide if she wants to hear what you have to say, or not.

Posted by: sonflower ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 08:42PM

The last post by Pista had some very good points that I agree with, but I want to give another suggestion. You mentioned you were going to church, not LDS so I assume you are Christian. Since you do not know this women, but do know her daughter, maybe you could suggest to the daughter that there is an excellent video online that is very informative and explains the differences between Biblical Christianity and Mormonism. It is the Jesus Christ/Joseph Smith video and if you google that title it will come up on several sites. One is Good News for LDS: The Search For the Truth. Maybe the daughter will watch it and share it with her Mom. Good luck.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 08:52PM

decision. It's her life, her choice.

Personally, I wouldn't interfere unless I was asked for my opinion.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 09:16PM

a great quote from www.howcultswork.com

"If people say its a cult, for God's sake find out why!"

Even if you just pass along this quote and links to why mormonism is a cult to the daughter try to do this if possible. Personally I wouldn't let it slide without providing input.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 09:20PM

get her into a cult!!! why is it ok to turn your back on someone who may be damaged by the cult?? i say .... let the LDS to be daughter show her some real material to at least expose her to the lies!! Milk before meat n such!!

Date: July 17, 2011 09:20PM

I think this is all excellent advice. A lot of the suggestions and opinions make total sense to me.

Pista, your right, I would be a little ticked if I knew my daughter shared something personal and this "woman" or friend's mom suddenly wanted to talk to me about a religious choice.

SusieQ, I wasn't poking my nose where it didn't belong, the girl mentioned to me what her mom was doing while the conversation came up about Church. But your right. It is her life, her choice. I just feel like, if I have had some experience with something that turned out to be destructive, I would want to make it known that, I HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE WITH THIS AND IT'S NOT GREAT.

But the bottom line is, you guys are right...sometimes we have to learn on our own...sucks

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 10:08PM

Yeah but this is not "learning". Its not even a fair fight. Mormons are lying to this woman and withholding information critical to any fair decision making.

I am not suggesting kidnapping the woman for forced de-programming or showing up uninvited at her house with all your evidence in tow. But some serious and sincere alarm displayed to the daughter: "Your mom is joining mormonism? Well I am very afraid for her as I was a mormon and I know that many, many facts were withheld from me, and had a I known them BEFORE I joined, I would have saved myself a lot of pain. This is serious. Have her call me if she wants."

Sorry but I just think of all the years of our wasted life and energy. The willingness of a few brave people who were willing to put themselves out there was key to our family finally waking up from the death grip of the cult. I just feel grateful someone said something which became a spark for us, and have resolved never to pass on an opportunity to do the same for others.

Date: July 18, 2011 12:34PM

Thanks, though I never was a Mormon, I was married to one for three years when I was 19. I feel scared for this woman to and what she, or other Mormons, could potentially due to my daughter's friend.

I have made a copy of "for those investigating Mormonism", by Richard Packham, including his bio, to lend credence to it.

I will give it to the girl, and suggest strongly she give it to her mom to read, for something to consider, so that she can make an informed decision before being baptised.

I think that's about all I can do. And pray, that maybe divine intervention will come about.....I still believe in miracles. These boards are full of them.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 01:11PM

Don't give it to the daughter - find a way for you to give it to her yourself. I wouldn't want my daughter to be used this way, and I hope you wouldn't want the same to happen with your daughter, either.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 12:50PM

ask you this.

If said mother was about to invest in a Bernie Madoff scam and you knew it was a fraud and you knew that she was throwing away her money,

would you repsond the same way? it's her money, stay out of it.

How is this any different? Woman is being scammed by an obvious and demonstrable hoax orchestrated by a career conman.

Sure wouldn't want any of you to witness me in a car crash.

thanks for the help.

Nevermo, reach out to daughter. You are in danger of a criminal omission.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 12:56PM

Mommy, why did Joseph Smith have an affair with Fanny Alger? She's my age almost. And how come he told Heber C. Kimball that if he could have 14 year-old Helen Mar like you and dad did it, that Heber and his family would be blessed? Mom, will I have to sleep with the Bishop?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.