Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hurtheart ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 04:30PM

I have read things about how the numbers are hyped. We are told there are 12 million members, but really only 4 million active. That kind of stuff. I have read on this board that a lot are leaving and that is so comforting. I have dreams about everyone I know leaving and all of us celebrating this beautiful life for the first time together. :)

Also, what efforts are made to SLC to call them out on everything? I know that may seem like a naive question but I am just wondering if there is a group or an organization that is actively trying to do something. Everything gets thrown under the carpet or people get shut up don't they?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hurtheart ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 04:51PM

How many of you have written your exit stories? It would be so helpful to record it on this site. Even if you didn't write your story, a tally was taken... each registered user could have one vote to indicate whether they have left...

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 05:33PM

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 05:39PM

I have a simple idea. Why don't we ask them officially? Or better yet we could ask the religion editors of the country's major newspapers and media outlets if they know. If the religion editors don't know then its obviously because they're not doing their job ;) Maybe they're more focused on getting Mormon ad dollars than journalistic integrity?

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 05:58PM

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 05:50PM

when I was investigating the church.

I didn't know who to believe at the time. Boy was I Naive!! My missionaries assured me that the church had nothing to hide and that I should ask and not be afraid because it's'true'. They were naive as well.

Greg Dodge and/or his Dept simply ignored me on both occasions.

That only raised my suspicion levels about the whole thing.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 05:59PM

Short Answer is NO...

Like most things MO, they don't / won't tell you because...

They Don't Want ANYONE to know!

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 06:02PM

Or, and we can only hope, they don't even know themselves.

Ron

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 06:03PM

I would really love to save them all, or even some of my family. I bet a lot of us would like that.

However, you will find some people so able to compartmentalise that even confronted with ALL the ugly truth and the cover ups... they still WANT to believe. And that will override the truth every time.

PostMormon raises money to get a billboard or two up in UT every winter for a few months. That and sharing with friends in real life, on Facebook, in news article comments, Wikipedia, is about as organized as it gets, I think.

People do have the right to belong to even more ludicrous groups, no action will be taken because it is faith.
Scientology, moonies, etc, etc, etc. :(

Counteracting their political efforts is important, but you will find even this board divided on a lot of matters, and so outright political discussions are forbidden. But you will see posters around here announcing political strategies the church is attempting, and if you can leave your opinion out of it, you might not get deleted too quickly. ;)

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 06:09PM

And check how many get's missing every year. Then calculate how many ought to die every year, what's left are resignations. But wait, there is nothing left to count, officially nobody leaves mormonism, in fact mormons don't even die in reasonable numbers!

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 06:54PM

Add 4 more as of today...

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 08:27PM

I live in a total mormon neighborhood. Good friends with some of them. Even the screaming decated mormons admit that many join,,very few stay long,,the same people do most of the callings. I don't think the outside world will ever know how many leave,,just walk away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 08:28PM by unworthy.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 09:02PM

and it's tens of thousands of formal resignations per year, with peaks over 100,000 (but I personally don't think those peaks are sustained, I think the well runs dry after big pushes like prop 8 and it drops back down to an ambient rate of a few tens of thousands per year).

But formal resignations are almost certainly only a minor fraction of the numbers who just walk away. Even with low estimates of total disaffection, the church barely breaks even. But both estimably and anecdotally the church is shrinking.

Posted by: teewan ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 11:21PM

Just posted my bio on a whim. I figured why not post it. I used to be ashamed of who I was, now I understand it is who I was, good bad or ugly.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 11:26PM

I would just love to be given an accurate number on how many members are actually active, as they do keep attendance.

But if you had a number on how many people had officially resigned, it wouldn't tell you how many haven't been to church in 40 years, but are still on the rolls.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: July 19, 2011 01:05AM

I went to that black sheep website by salamander society but im the last person to sign it, and that was almost a year ago. So, I am the latest person to resign.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: July 19, 2011 02:48PM

Read your bio, teewan - thanks for sharing that!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.