Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: July 19, 2011 01:22PM

The temple thread got me thinking about how much the LDS modus operandi seems to be "grab 'em and keep 'em while they're young and vulnerable."

We're all very aware that being baptized at 8 years old, you're making all kinds of promises that an 8 year old has no concept of. It's just What You Do when you're BIC and reach that age.

But it doesn't stop there. Take missionaries. Young men in particular- at 18-19, they're not emotionally mature enough to be yanked from their families and lives for two years at the peak of what should be one of the greatest periods of their lives- coming into adulthood and discovering what lies ahead of them in their lives. To me, this is such a vulnerable age and these guys are so susceptible to suggestion and being "steered" in a certain direction.

I think the ages they picked for these Mormon "milestones" are very calculated.

Just some random thoughts.

GLAJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: July 19, 2011 01:31PM

When did 19 become the magic age for a boy, and 21 for a girl, to go on a mission?

It's like an assembly line popping out good mormon.

Baptize at 8. Check.
Graduate Seminary. Check.
Mission. Check.
Temple Marriage. Check.
Babies. Check

I have wondered how much is calculated, and how much is just random decisions.

Mormon Prophet: "Hey, hee hee, let's have a revelation that god commands that we all dye our hair black! It'll be hilarious!"

Date: July 19, 2011 01:46PM

Whether that's coincidence or not, who knows? And I honestly think the age for women is older because the Morg figures, "Hey, if she's not married and squirting out kids by the time she's 21, it's probably okay for her to go."

Posted by: periwinkle ( )
Date: July 19, 2011 01:53PM

The MO church loves their young. Even younger than 8, I was 3 when my parents joined and I have a memory of being in a church play. I was the doll in a doll hospital. I was scared. But everyone doted on me after the show...so much attention lavished on me. i was soooo spshul. I am getting old now people and I still remember that. damn, they had me hooked. damn the missionaries for hooking my parents. damn the church for preying on little kids.

Date: July 19, 2011 02:03PM

It's eerie how much this mirrors the childhood Mormon experience. Kind of sent shivers up my spine.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 19, 2011 04:24PM

What is that about giving little kids starring roles? I had one too at about 6.

Maybe it's a good thing they don't do roadshows anymore even though that is like the only thing I would miss if I ever entertained the thought of going back.

(Actually my role was to be the naughty kid and sing ,"I ain't gettin nuthin for christmas, cuz I ain't been nuthin but bad."
Which was an awesome predictor for how I was viewed growing up the rest of the way. Scapegoat!)

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: July 19, 2011 02:38PM

It's not by accident that missionaries are sent out from 19 to 21. That's probably the absolute time when men are forming their identity. I bet that's prime terrorist recruitment age as well.

18 to 20 could possibly be better BUT, I still think people at 20 have a slight chance to break out of the conditioning. By 21, it's more ingrained.

Oh, and please note this is all my supposition, I don't have references, just "feelings," you know, like a good mormon. ;-)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 19, 2011 02:54PM

Right here are a bunch of people showing the tree doesn't always grow as the twig is bent.

But, yes, the church uses classic youth indoctrination techniques. They, of course, claim it's different, because the church is true.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.