Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: July 22, 2011 02:16PM

One of the few things about the church that always bothered me, is the way that there is supposedly only one "true" prophet at any given time. If you believe the Bible (which I don't for the record, and I won't even mention the BOM), there were multiple prophets all the time, all of them preaching the "direct word of God" and seeing visions, etc.

Could someone today, claim that they are seeing visions with enough charisma, a la JS, as a member of the "church" rise up in the ranks of the church and use "prophesy" against the current leaders? There are examples is the bible (I think, I don't remember them off the top of my head) where the "church" needed correction by a newer prophet, where god said "go talk to so-and-so, he's making a mess of things, you know what, just take over for him"...

I have to imagine the potential chaos that could create if the person was charismatic enough to make it work... i.e. Got a following amongst the membership and started making proclamations just outside temple grounds, not directly against the church, but at first, the same with supporting "prophesies". Then later, that the current leaders are leading people astray by funding malls, requiring tithing from poor people, lack of direct communication from god since JS, things that should be bothering people, but they ignore...

I'd have to imagine that unless the person did it right, they'd be arrested and would disappear... Maybe not temple square in SL? Maybe at another popular and visible temple?

What do you think? Possible in today's world?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2011 02:18PM by Finally Free!.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 22, 2011 02:23PM

Christopher Nemelka is just such a character. He claims to have revealed the sealed portion, what jesus said during the first vision, the book of lehi, etc.

Just as batshit crazy as the brethren, but he's been exed.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: July 22, 2011 02:34PM

Haven't really looked into him, but at first glance, not charasmatic enough, certainly not smart enough. But, I say this with only 10 minutes of looking into him... But interesting results...

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: July 22, 2011 02:25PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 22, 2011 02:57PM

The leaders who started the FLDS don't look all that charismatic. Polygamy on the other hand is a very relevant issue when you are already doing it.

But they did as you said, start claiming revelations, and ending by condemning SLC.

What issues would be important enough to people today and make them decide their current leaders can't be trusted?

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: July 22, 2011 04:49PM

Posted by: jonesy ( )
Date: July 22, 2011 05:00PM

Yes there was...David Koresh. Now he wasn't Mormon but he is a perfect example and led his flock to a horrible death. Though he wasn't Mormon he was in a cult and claimed to be God's mouthpiece.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: July 23, 2011 04:15PM

Sterophonic assholes.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 23, 2011 04:26PM

That there are people who LOVE gullible people. Some of them set up religions, but most of them now set up Ponzi schemes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2011 04:26PM by matt.

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: July 23, 2011 04:54PM

Present-day prophets cut from the same cloth as Joseph Smith are all OVER the place. Reverend Moon. David Koresh. Tony Alamo. Jim Jones.

Joseph Smith's particular brand of prophecy benefitted from being in the right place, at the right time. Without radio, television, the Internet, when things got hairy in one spot, Old Joe packed up and moved on. Then when Joe was killed, a strong, similarly-deviant personality in Brigham Young packed up and moved to a very isolated part of the country, Salt Lake City. That isolation served the Church very well, to allow the indoctrination to remain intense.

Jim Jones had the same potential when he moved The People's Temple to Guyana. But Jones's paranoia when being investigated by Congressman Ryan was more than his megalomania could handle.

The potential for another Joseph Smith today is there. But the present day prophet will have to find a way to completely circumvent the media without killing off the congregation.

~VOW

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 23, 2011 05:14PM

I think it would be possible for a charismatic figure to create a breakaway faction but I don't think it would be possible to disrupt the powers that be from within.

Posted by: m3gd ( )
Date: July 23, 2011 05:20PM

I think L Ron Hubbard fit the bill to some degree...another whackjob.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 12:38AM

Except that I'm pretty sure he didn't have the sexual exploitation of teeny-boppers down.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 02:37AM

hmmm, in order for it to work on a large scale, the guy/girl would have to make some really good, true points, like some of the ones you mention. People have to recognize the truth in the words.

But therein lies the problem. This prophet(ess) would have to embody a combination of moral integrity, and smooth-lipped deceipt, in order to be really successful. He/she also has to be in a position to commit totally to the pretense. It would take quite a person, especially in light of today's media, and capacity for background checks. Joseph Smith had a far easier task by comparison.

It's not impossible by any means, but those kind of people aren't born every century.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 02:59AM

You could say that Glen Beck is in many ways a new "prophet" in these times given the fervor and passion of his followers.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 03:54AM

I don't think so. As mentioned above there have been more recent "prophets" on a smaller scale. I don't think anything like JS could happen. The world is too informed.

Posted by: CuriousJack ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 04:08AM

It would mean, Fathers lock your daughters and husbands lock your wives...LOL!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.