Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 01:13PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 01:20PM

BBC article gives a profile of him:

"On the Facebook page attributed to him, he describes himself as a Christian and a conservative. The Facebook page is no longer available but it also listed interests such as bodybuilding and freemasonry."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259989

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 02:35PM

Here is some info about his interests:

Knights Templar:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14493a.htm

Freemasons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Freemasons&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=uGP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&tb

Neo-Nazis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Nazism

NB: I have heard news reports that he identifies himself as a "right-wing Christian". I haven't included links for that, as we're familiar with that ideology, I'm assuming.

I don't blame an entire body for what one adherent or member does. Neither is nationality or skin colour especially significant in many incidents such as this. It is part of this story, though, as Norwegians themselves have expressed shock that one of their own is the culprit here, contrary to the first expectations of many.

The aspect, if any, of these types of groups that gives rise to actions like this does need to be looked at, I agree. For example, most Christians I know (and know of) take the God's army aspect of Christianity to be allegorical. Mainstreamers too, in my experience, tone down the us v them paradigm. This keeps things in a more balanced perspective.

Unfortunately, some of the rhetoric can too easily lead to the kind of extremism and apartness we see in those who entertain the militant and extremist views, take them literally and even put them into practice.

I don't see that all of Christianity is responsible for the acts of one extremist like this Norwegian. Neither can it be fully explained by his interest in other areas such as freemasonery.

I do hold more responsible groups like Neo-Nazis who promote the supremacist views.

In this specific case, we can't judge until we know more facts.

It will be interesting and informative to get more info as the killer comes to court/trial, but still I wish he had been stopped somehow, even if it meant a dead perp, before spending 90 minutes murdering innocent youths.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2011 03:02PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 01:34PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 01:41PM

...a reestablished Knights Templar. He and his fellow "knights" have the org chart, ranks and badges all worked out -- with more ranks and positions than there are members.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 02:04PM

Stray Mutt Wrote:

* -- with more ranks and
> positions than there are members.

Sorta like a certain religious institution we all know.

[snicker]

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 02:30PM

Wow- wonder if the politicians will talk about THAT!!! He is a whacko nutcase. I want to know all about him and his ilk. He is a scary dude. If he is a Christian and a conservative he sure doesn't act like it. No one should group all Christians the same or all conservatives...so is it fiscal conservative or social conservative????....and on and on. Certainly he is a leader in a terrorist group or one of many.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2011 08:09PM by honestone.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 07:02PM

honestone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow- wonder if the politicians will talk about
> THAT!!! He is a whacko nutcase. I want to know all
> about him and his ilk. He is a scary dude. If he
> is a Christian and a conservative he sure doesn't
> act like it. No one should group all Christians
> the same or all conservatives...so is it fiscal
> conservative or social conservative????....and on
> and one. Certainly he is a leader in a terrorist
> group or one of many.

The man is a proud and zealous Zionist.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 07:56PM

>
> The man is a proud and zealous Zionist.

That is an odd reversal. The burgeoning right-wing/neo-nazi sentiment is now vehemently pro-Israel, it's true. Their Islamophobia seems to say "we're right in hating the Semites; but, oops, last time 'round we fingered the wrong ones."

(Of course not all Muslims are Semites, but hatred Scoffs at such distinctions.)

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 03:20PM

There is a lot to be said about this case, and much of it has not reached you - or us - yet. But to support Norway, listen to this: http://www.vgtv.no/#!id=42454 by a member of the youth organization that was hit. This was also quoted by the prime minister at the memorial service in Oslo lutheran cathedral this Sundag. This is the attitude we have to cultivate.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 08:23PM

(as a Norwegian-American) Thanks.

no sense in drawing meaningless comparisons.

No, none of my Best Friends are Masons.

I'm a Peacenik, I'm against violence.

and, I just finished watching Bowling For Columbine.

Peace & Love, everyone; not 'later', not 'when Christ comes again', but Now, today; starting with me.

inthenameofCheeseandCrackers.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 09:15PM

Seeing him with that rifle gave me the willies. I cannot picture what he did with a clear mind--it repulses me. Like Joseph Conrad said, "The horror, the horror!"

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 09:19PM

When will the LDS Church reign in as many iffy members as possible? What if some nut job decides a ward or temple square is a good target? We know they're out there, like the guy that kidnapped Elizabeth Smart, the guy that chopped up some missionaries in the 70's...

The more people that come into the Church the higher the risk gets. They already have problems with Beck and other wackos calling radio talk shows and getting on tv. Not to mention everybody thinks Jeffs is one of the gang.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: July 24, 2011 09:21PM

Oh. What's with that strange little beard thing?

Posted by: Mrs. Estzerhaus ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 12:25AM

Date: July 25, 2011 03:04AM

Could well be. According to one news story he planned his PR pictures carefully, and his log (in the manifest he has published) lists buying a camera so he would be independent of professional photographers. He also listed suggestions for preparing a photo shoot: To get tanned and work out for a week, and even get make-up. And of course have his hair done.

This seems to be a man with very high ideas of his own importance but also a very careful planner.

Date: July 25, 2011 08:24PM

For those who still have some interest in conditions in Norway just now: It is 1:45 AM here, I am back from a day trip to Oslo to take part in the Rose Meeting there. It was supposed to be a Rose March, but there came too many people to have them walk through the streets. Newspaper says 150 000 or more on the City Hall square, but more tried to come. http://www.vgtv.no/#!id=42472 After the meeting down town Oslo was thronging with people, and there are flower memorials everywhere, including the police barriers around the crime scene. Evening ended with services in the cathedral.

More Rose Meetings in Oslo and other cities, flower memorials http://www.vg.no/bildespesial/spesial.php?id=8410&o=0&katId=-1

And for the legally inclined: Judge reading the remand ruling, interpreted to English http://www.vgtv.no/#!id=42469 (quality not top, the room was filled by journalists). Breivik is taken into custody for eight months to allow the police time for investigations. If they need more time (and they will) they have to petition the judge for extension(s) - which they will get. This is standard procedure. (Release on bail is normally not used here.) - As a curiosity: I read that the remand hearing was delayed for half an hour because Breivik insisted on meeting in his black uniform. It was denied by the judge

And there is more, of course. But now I need my sleep.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: July 25, 2011 09:03PM

Thank you, for keeping us updated. I for one, appreciate your insites.

Thankfully, they have him and maybe they can learn some useful, intel.

From the intial reports that were made available, it appeared that he surrenederd to the authorites. Is this an established, fact? I for one, would have controlled paired his ass, into the ground.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.