Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 12:38PM

There are certainly substantial differences between Warren Jeffs and Joseph Smith, but I think the ongoing trial gives a fascinating glimpse into what might have happened if Smith had lived and been thoroughly prosecuted and discredited rather than "martyred". Of course, there are those in the LDS community who argue that Smith's death took place because he had resolved to renounce polygamy.

And so it goes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 01:41PM

When the raid happened a couple years ago on the YFZ Ranch my husband pointed out to me that Warren and Joseph had a lot in common. I argued with him. I argued for awhile actually defending JS. Then my husband started to point out all of the flaws in my argument. I shut up pretty quick when I realized he was actually right.

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 02:33PM

What are their differences?

I am only aware of the similarities between Smith and Jeffs. Both claim to be prophets, and both married and had sex with underage girls. And both claim to have God’s authority to do this and the support of their followers.

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 02:48PM

Differences include...founding prophet vs heir to prophethood, difference in age, different legal and media environment, different stance on the part of the federal government re: their activities, etc. Doctrinally, Jeffs is much closer to JS, but the COJCLDS still includes the revelation affirming polygamy among its sacred scriptures. Who is being more honest?

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 03:50PM

Jeffs has a chin.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: July 30, 2011 08:33PM

Which saddens me; I always hoped for Smith to be reincarnated as the 12-year old girl trapped in the polyg compound.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.