Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 08:18AM

After a long hiatus from my kids due to recovery from my accident, I'm visiting for an extended weekend (Friday-Monday). Often I stay with TBM family in UT, usually my mom's place. But she called to let me know that I "will not speak ill of the church" to my kids. Not only does it upset her, but she said it was harmful to my kids. She hovers while I am there and tries to correct me whenever I challenge anything that is LDS--doctrinal, corporate or cultural.

In other words, I have no freedom of expressing my beliefs while there.

I've decided that instead of fighting it, I am going to try to stay elsewhere. There are often deals at the ski resort condos during the summer.

So, can some in the forum help me find deals along the wasatch front on a weekend condo for four kids and me?

I'll be searchng too, but some of you have inside info. Thanks!

JS

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 08:30AM

I'm sorry your mom is like that, but I think you're smart not to stay with her. They are your kids and she has no right to undermine you in front of them. Good for you for sticking to your principles.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 10:14AM

They have some really nice condos for rent in the off season, 800-245-6417l. Luxury units run 125-150 per night, but they might have some cheaper ones. And they usually throw in some freebies with that (dinner certificates or gift baskets).

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 10:16AM

I might add that there are tons of fun things to do there . . . hiking, bike trails, art galleries, street festivals on Sundays, see Olympic venues, Alpine slide, etc.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 10:32AM

Staying elsewhere will not solve the problem.

Your mum is still treating you as a child, she is controlling what you say to your kids and you a letting her.

Not easy but, grow a backbone and stand up for yourself.

Date: August 01, 2011 02:10PM

Stumbling, I've given my mom boundaries before, and explained to her that if she persists on dictating what I may do or not do with my own children, that I will forgo visiting with her when I have her grandchildren. She persists in this behavior and so I am on the road to do what I said I would--go elsewhere and leave her high and dry. It's exactly a backbone I am giving her. The assbone as it leaves her behind.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 04:17PM

I have a friend who quit the church, and he's insufferable. He's getting a kick out of annoying everyone who is still active. He swears constantly. He brings R rated videos to family gatherings. He badmouths the church every chance he gets.

Sorry. There's no need for you to be talking about the church when you are at your mother's house. And if she insists on talking to them about it, just remind your children that she is a mormon and that's the way she believes.

They aren't going to be influenced by her any more than they would by some Jehovah's Witness coming to the door.

And, yes, talk to them quietly later.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 04:19PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 10:42AM

My take is that I wouldn't make any negative remarks about the church while in your mom's presence, out of respect to her beliefs. Maybe the most I might say is, "your grandmother and I disagree about that, but we'll discuss it later in private." Of course, whenever you are alone with the kids, either at the condo or while driving around, say whatever you like. I would train them to not openly challenge their grandmother, though. Maybe the teens could say if they wished, "I'm sorry, Grandma, but I believe differently." She can control their activities while they are with her, but she can't control their minds.

Posted by: buckhntr ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 10:52AM

I like the thought of acknowledging that you have differing opinions about the church and allow your children to know that not everyone thinks alike. Encourage critical thought in them and allow them to form their own opinions, most will see through teh farce that is the church. If you encourage them to ask tough questions and discuss differences civilly, it will give them a valuable tool that will serve them all their lives.
As for your mother forbiding you to speak to your own children negativly about the church, I would quietly inform her that they are your children not hers, and her continued relationship with them is at your discression not hers. So you may set up the boundries about what she can say to them about the church, but she has no right to dictate to you how you may speak to your children.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 11:03AM

buckhntr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the thought of acknowledging that you have
> differing opinions about the church and allow your
> children to know that not everyone thinks alike.
> Encourage critical thought in them and allow them
> to form their own opinions, most will see through
> teh farce that is the church. If you encourage
> them to ask tough questions and discuss
> differences civilly, it will give them a valuable
> tool that will serve them all their lives.
> As for your mother forbiding you to speak to your
> own children negativly about the church, I would
> quietly inform her that they are your children not
> hers, and her continued relationship with them is
> at your discression not hers. So you may set up
> the boundries about what she can say to them about
> the church, but she has no right to dictate to you
> how you may speak to your children.

This right here. Set boundaries. You are your children's parent. You get to tell them whatever you want.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 11:08AM

we need more info please!!

Date: August 01, 2011 11:04AM

that will help...........orem, salt lake or logan?

Date: August 01, 2011 11:07AM

for $86 thats with tax tag and title!! :)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 11:24AM

while you are there. I rarely talk about it to anyone.
I like Summer's advice, let the kids know you don't agree with g/ma but, hey, life is like that: people don't agree. So what.

Sounds to me like the best thing to do while in her home, is to keep your mouth shut about the LDS Church. It's her home, respect her wishes. People have boundaries in their home.
Be grateful and appreciative and make sure she knows it.

OK, that's my advice! Take it or leave it. The price is right!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 11:43AM

All of this advice to cave in to Mom's pressure is kind of rude, in my opinion.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 11:52AM

were disrespectful of your mother's boundaries about making negative (snide, rude, denigrating, name calling, pejoratives, etc.) comments about the LDS Church. What would be the result?

How would it impact your relationship with your mother? Would she be angry, disgusted with you, lecture you? Or give you the silent treatment?
Would she continue to allow you to stay in her home when you needed it? Would she feel rejected and betrayed?

I am of the opinion that when we hold negative, hateful, angry, emotions about the Mormon church and it's members (or any other topic), including our loved ones, and friends, when we are around them, they can sense it, immediately. They know it, feel it, and most likely feel rejected, and betrayed.

I'm a supporter of congenial relationships. Generally, we need and want our family and friends, at least some of them. And they need and want us.

It's an awakening to find out there are no fantasy parents, siblings, spouses, children! :-) We get what we get! Often when they are gone, we realize what we were missing by rejecting them, and being rude and negative and hateful toward others.
Personally, I am of the opinion, also, that holding onto anger, rage, hate, and any other kind of negative emotion is harmful -- to us! It's self sabotage. All we need to do is to be kind to one another and stop trying to change them and make them fit what we want. We get people: As-Is. Just like we are!

Date: August 01, 2011 11:55AM

He asked for people to give him leads to inexpensive places to stay instead of his mother's home. Where is the disrespect in that? What is your issue and why do you have such a driving need to push him to conform to his mother's demands? He came up with a very valid and completely respectful alternative -- which was to stay somewhere other than his mother's home.

Seriously, I don't get this obsession of yours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 11:55AM by Rebeckah.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 04:02PM

And I don't get it either, Rebeckah.

Posted by: Elle Bee ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 11:58AM

Wow, I totally disagree with a lot of these posts.

Who is this child's parent - you or your mother? If it is you, then you should not allow her to control what is said to your children. In fact, YOU should be forbidding HER to speak WELL of the evil institution of TSCC while your kids are in her presence. It is wrong to lie to children. You're the parent here, and you have a right to control the upbringing of your kids, much more so than your mother does.

Date: August 01, 2011 12:05PM

Which is entirely appropriate of him, I think.

So he came up with an alternative -- to stay elsewhere. Mom gets to have her rules and he gets to interact with his children how he chooses without interference. Seems perfectly resonable to me. I just wish I could make a helpful suggestion as to where he could stay.

By the way, hope you're all mended from the accident Jesus Smith. :)

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 04:37PM

No matter who's house it is.

An appropriate way for the mother to handle this would be to say "I don't want you speaking ill of the church while you are in my house". It would then be a ground rule that applies to a particular behavior that is not tied directly or exclusively to parenting.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 04:40PM by MJ.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 01:37PM

Listen to him. He did not ask for relationship advice. Some of us might think he's making a mistake as far as setting a template for the future, but HE DID NOT ASK US.

Everybody has the right to make their own choices. He just wanted help finding a place to stay.

Welcome back, jesus, and hope you are feeling much better!

Anagrammy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 01:37PM by anagrammy.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 02:18PM

It is her house, it is a big issue for her, fine. But that sure doesn't mean it has to control your behavior with YOUR kids. Hell, I wouldn't want the bother. Your time with the kids is limited, make the most of it :). Go where you want, do what you want and not have to worry about Grandma getting her undies in a bunch. Her loss. She can sit home alone.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 02:33PM

Date: August 01, 2011 04:30PM

Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 07:15PM

She has no right to tell him he can or cannot say ANYTHING to his kids. He can say what he wants, when he wants, about what he wants, because it's not her business how his children are raised or how they believe. She can either suck it up and deal, or not see her grandchildren.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 03:59PM

Definitely DON'T stay with her....who is she to tell you how to talk to your own kids. If I had a guest in my house they could talk to their kids anyway they wanted without abuse of course, and without physical injury to people and things in my home.... that is their right. I have no say over their kids!!!! She is being a pest and you need to get away from her.(hovering over you like a newborn baby)

Date: August 01, 2011 04:09PM

alee allee in come free!!

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 04:30PM

I like your idea to find another place. If this were me, If she asks I would explain that I am not staying with her so that I can respect her rules in her house. I would ask her to respect my rules as a parent and then set clear rules on religious expectations with your kids.
This can be done nicely without a fight from you. I have done it before with my Mother and it has generally worked well with very few problems.
You may find that this is a good opportunity to bring up the conversation about boundaries with her. In my family I don't bring it up but if they do they have opened the door and the subject is open for discussion.

Date: August 01, 2011 04:34PM

Who is taking care of the kids now? Who has legal guardianship? Are the kids traveling with you to see your mother?

I know you don't want a fight, but if you are still the legal guardian and you are again taking care of the kids, then it is your responsibility to raise the kids as you see fit. It might be a good idea to set a boundary with your mother and tell her that it is your responsibility to raise the kids as you see fit and that if she can not respect that, there will likely be less visits.

Posted by: good luck ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 04:41PM

He is going to see his kids that live with their mother close by his mother

Date: August 01, 2011 04:45PM

Then his mother has no rights in dictating what is taught to the kids.

Yes, the mother can say "I don't want you talking ill about the church in my house" and that would be appropriate. Beyond that, she has no business dictating what is said to the kids.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 04:43PM

Healthy families learn to respect deeply held beliefs by all members. This means it goes both ways. When it comes to your children you should be free to teach them whatever you believe is right. Your extended family should respect your rights as a parent and let you discuss whatever you want with them. If they don't like it they can go to another room, or if they are pricks, they can ask all of you to leave their house.

Their choice. And yours also. Enjoying each others company requires accomodations. It does in every human relationship.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 04:49PM

I think your solution to find another place to stay is a good option.

If your mother is going to be that difficult about allowing varying opinions about faith in her home to the point that she's undermining your parental rights and stifling your interaction with your kids, removing yourself - and the kids - from the situation is the right way to go.

Enjoy time with your kids in an environment that's comfortable for all. Arrange a time to spend a supper with grandma, but limit the interaction.

The less tension for your visit, the better.

I'm sorry I don't know the area well enough to recommend sites - but I think the "vacation with dad" idea is a great one. :)

Date: August 01, 2011 04:57PM

The kids live with my ex wife (a provo TBM), though we share joint custody. A job layoff couple years back forced me to move and live states apart. When I visit them back in UT, I often stay with my mother/family because they would also like to see my kids.

I would like to respect my mom, and could respect a mutual moratorium on religion in her presence. But in the past, she has made it a point to proselytize all things LDS to my kids when I am there, and further, has on few occasions said demeaning things about my new lifestyle (as an ex-mo) to my kids. Such as, "I hope you kids won't follow your dad's example and will attend church." On those times, I have quietly taken her aside and explained that I won't stand for her disparaging me to the kids.

She doesn't do it overtly, but when I am not around, I've gotten wind of it happening. For this, and her demands that I never (even when not at her house) speak ill of the church, I've decided to quietly avoid her. When she asks why, I will let her know that I am respecting her rules and still abiding by my own parenting wishes to teach the kids facts. This is best for all. She will just have to do without visits for now.

Date: August 01, 2011 07:06PM

Although given what you've said of her, I'd expect much hurt feelings and wobbly-lipped insistence that she'd NEVER do such a thing to you and you must have misunderstood her. :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 07:13PM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: August 01, 2011 05:14PM

Sometimes the actual resort has something that they aren't mentioning on their website.

If you call and ax the manager, you can sometimes get a better deal.

I'd find the places that I think are cool, and then call them directly and ax for a manager.

Doesn't always happen, but if you can't find a better deal on expedia/other sites, then it is worth a phone call.

Date: August 01, 2011 07:07PM

;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.