Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: littledebbie1 ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 12:53PM

The mishies came by last night. I invited them in, as I always do. As we were talking, the topic of the book of Abraham came up. One of the young men,from Utah, had been on his mission for 22 months. I mentioned the fact that the papyrus had been located and it was actually found to be a book of breathings (funeral text)...he looked surprised and said he had never heard of that. Could this be true? Good grief!!! Someone must have brought that up during his mission, don't you think? I would think there would be some training in defending against such "attacks". Was he just pretending ignorance? The other poor mishie (a 4-month newbie) just sat there, not saying one word the whole visit, bobbing his head up and down like one of those little chiwawa bobble heads on someone dashboard. My heart breakes for these poor BIC kids!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 01:01PM

They often fake not knowing rather than get too deep into a discusion (?)
Most missions strongly caution against getting into any deep issues, stick with the script.

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 01:03PM

Seminary teachers do not address it. Hugh Nibley himself would not clearly address it. The Mission President will have no good explanation for it.

Once I read Larsen's book on this with the color copies, I could easily see how everything Joseph Smith said about it was all fake. It was one of the last nails in the Mormon coffin for me.

The only mental "resolution" they will come up with is to "...not study anything outside of the Standard Works..." which is what our mission president conveyed to us simple minded BIC's.

But I had already read Mormon Doctrine before the MP ordered this. The original edition of MD admited all the crap that Brigham Young introduced after the crap that Joseph Smith made up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 01:06PM by darksparks.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 01:12PM

He gave the crap about the book of breathings and the Book of Abraham being "inspired."

I had no idea what Joseph actually claimed.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 01:24PM

They are NOT taught to defend against these type of issues. Most Mormons, especially young missionaries, have NO CLUE about these things. They are only taught to teach the discussions, read the scriptures and bear their testimonies. To actually study these issues can actually be faith damaging (including for the mishies) and the church knows that.

Date: August 05, 2011 01:40PM

"these issuses can actually be faith damaging"
One can only hope!

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 01:27PM

Little boys masquerading as men. I feel sorry for them.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 01:37PM

I was a BIC TBM who went on a mission, even read the BoA a couple of times... It simply was never mentioned that the originals were still around and had been correctly translated. I imagine that was simply not a "helpful truth" and so it wasn't promoted, unless you went to look for it. The first time I heard about it was just a couple of months ago when looking for the actual truth.

Think about it... The church isn't going to be announcing from the pulpit that the BoA was incorrectly translated by JS, nor are they going to bring it up, unless they have to, if they do, it'll be some excuse or faith promoting story.

If these Missionaries aren't in a location with a high enough volume of ex-mormon's they probably never really did hear about it.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 02:45PM

I discovered the Book of Abraham stuff when browsing the Facsimiles in my Quad and noticed the two Egyptian Women and Joseph Smith had labelled them as A King and a Prince.

I thought it unusual at the time and tried to inquire with the Missionaries who came with a member of the Bishopric. Non of them wanted to address my concern. It was a farce! lol

Later that night I googled to see if anyone had picked up on it? lol

Holy Cow what I learned that evening about Egyptian Funeral Scrolls, Rosetta Stone etc. lol

Date: August 05, 2011 03:05PM

That reminds me of the scene in "The Birdcage" where everyone is sitting around looking at the soup bowls with the greek figures on them! LOL! Some things are too obvious (unless you're in a mind-controlled state)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.