Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moira ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 02:16AM

It is moot for me as I have officially resigned but what if someone were to get their temple recommend and wanted to attend a wedding in the temple. Would they have to get their endowments or just be able to slip into the sealing room? I also heard that street clothes were allowed in the sealing rooms. Can someone give me the scoop?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Way Out ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 02:28AM

My memory is a little vague on this, but I do remember that there were "Living Ordinance" recommends. Whether these were just for temple weddings or both weddings and endowments, I don't recall but I think they were for both.

If they indeed are for both, then before you get a regular temple recommend, you'd have one of these Living Ordinance recommends that would only get you in for your endowment if you lacked that ordinance, but wouldn't let you attend a temple wedding. Then you'd receive your regular temple recommend after that.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 04:03AM

In principle, you have to be endowed and carry a valid TR to attend a sealing.

Sunday clothes are allowed when attending a sealing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2010 04:03AM by rt.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 04:38AM

A person has to have their endowments in order to attend a temple wedding. This means, they are a baptized member, and they have gotten a temple recommend and gone through the temple and completed the ritual of washing and anointing, and the endowment ritual. Marriage is not necessary.

I was not paying tithing or attending the temple when my daughter got married in the temple. I had gone to the temple for many years previously. I wanted to see the wedding ceremony, so the bishop told me to pay full tithing for 6 months, and wear my temple garments. Other rules for the temple recommend were: obey the word of wisdom, attend at least 75% of all the meetings, magnify my callings, be morally clean, and NOT ASSOCIATE WITH APOSTATES OR APOSTATE GROUPS. I lied on that one, as several of my friends and relatives are apostates

With being a single mother and having to pay for most of the reception, plus having to pay 10% of my salary for 6 months, my daughter's wedding was quite expensive.

We all wore church clothes with our garments underneath, though no one (to my knowledge) peeked under our clothes to see if they were there. We were forced to wear ugly white slippers, though.

The temple slippers have no religious significance, though--they are to keep our shoes and feet from wearing out the carpets--I'm not kidding. Some people bring their own. The bride has to wear a rather heavy veil and weird nightcap thing, which ruins her hairdo. The groom wears a baker's hat.

The bride and groom must wear the temple costumes, and the robes, sash, apron, are worn over the bride's wedding dress--it is a hideous sight

The "unworthy" wedding guests who haven't been "endowed," wait in the waiting room, if the temple happens to have one. Otherwise, they wait outside. After the ceremony is over, they can be in the photos taken in front of the temple. I opt out of this, as I think it is phony to pretend I was at the wedding when I was actually banned from it.

Oh yes, the reason only "endowed" temple-worthy Mormons can be at the wedding is--so that the unworthies cannot view the secret handshake used in the wedding ritual! It is a secret! (But Masons use it all the time) Also, non-temple-endowed folks might laugh at the ridiculous "secret" costimes that the bride and groom wear!

The last wedding I went to, the bride and groom laughed at each other's outfits, and lost it several times during the ceremony.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2010 04:39AM by forestpal.

Posted by: Nick ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 04:59PM

Wow.. are you seriously going to go on about the temple clothing, let alone your meaningless opinion about them? I assume you have been through the temple before if you were able to go see your kids wedding. You should know that those things are sacred and that they are not to be talked about outside of the temple, especially online and in a derogatory manner. "God will not me mocked." Get your head on straight, lady.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 05:05PM

The handshakes come in a close second.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 05:26PM

Nick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow.. are you seriously going to go on about the
> temple clothing, let alone your meaningless
> opinion about them? I assume you have been through
> the temple before if you were able to go see your
> kids wedding. You should know that those things
> are sacred and that they are not to be talked
> about outside of the temple, especially online and
> in a derogatory manner. "God will not me mocked."
> Get your head on straight, lady.

"Nick" you are more than welcome to hang out here but I think you clearly saw the name of the website. Its called Recovery From Mormonism www.EX-Mormon.com. We don't believe in the crazy fairy tale world of Mormonism anymore.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 05:43PM

Hey, I'm sure someone could post a link to a video of the temple clothes if you want, Nick. Welcome!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 09:31AM

They wouldn't want you to see the bride and groom in their weird temple gear if you'd never been Endowed. You'd be in the sealing room without garments on too. I can't imagine that would be allowed.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 05:41PM

My daughter, as a teen, got to see her father's second marriage to his new wife. She was not endowed and she saw the full temple get-up. It was tragic as she later claimed that at that very moment, she lost all respect for most of the people in the room. It was truly an emperor's new clothes moment.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 05:50PM

I guess it IS; how old was she?
I think there's a cut-off someplace....

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 05:52PM

She was about 14 at the time.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 05, 2011 06:29PM

brings the Question:

what about 'older' teens ...17-18-19-20-etc.

who want 2 C a 'Sealing' in the House of Handshakes?

Don't they 'have to' be 'Endowed' to witness it?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.